Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Interesting thread - here are some data points. I've done 11 CE sectors in the last 6 weeks and am a SCH. Whilst I was not able to select row 1 at the time of booking, I have been able to move into it on 6 occasions (once I was the only person in the entire cabin, but don't think that was FLY at work ;-P). When not in row, I don't recall it being completely full but 4 times I was travelling with someone so needed a row together and the final time I booked T-15hrs so only had 1 choice, so wasn't bothered.

On the 3 ET legs I have done, all in exit rows, one was completely full on a v busy flight, one had the blocked middle seat and one was with my wife. I'd put her in A with me in B which mean C was empty. Not sure that would have worked if I was in A and she in B?

Overall all, really happy!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ReynoldsNumber

I am not seeing any obvious Silver benefits in CE by this new feature - in a half full CE cabin my next door seat has been occupied a few times, so it doesn't look like its a cascading service where a silver can block a seat from a bronze, blue or no status.

Not a happy bunny sitting in row 2 (first world problems eh ...) - This new feature has tipped the balance for me to finally go for gold next year!
Actually, it is supposed to increase the chance of your getting a free seat next to you if loads permit. I think I would not rush to draw conclusions in the summer period: as we all know, loads peak right now, notably in Y, and this leads to small C cabins. In the winter, where loads are lower in Y, it is not unusual for BA to increase the size of the C cabin beyond its needs, and I suspect that this is when silvers will be most likely to benefit from those empty seats.

It seems that in your case, your main focus is to hope to get row 1 and if so, I suspect that you will remain disappointed, but if instead you care more about not having a neighbour, you will likely benefit.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have only just found this thread, but it completely confirms what I've been experiencing. I can only think of one flight recently when I've had a neighbour, and this had included all the times I've been in 2D on the 190, exit or first rows on Airbus. I kept half expecting a last second boarding but no, doors closed and I'm all on my own.
Maybe of course this is the point. Don't allow GCH to talk to other passengers; higher risk of FT membership and thus likely to educate in the dark arts and/or moan/point out deficiencies.
There seems to be no provision for recline in the system. Ie i could be in aforementioned 2D, and there will be a passenger in 3D and 4D. It would make more sense to stagger us so nobody leaned back onto someone else, but that doesn't happen. Possibly more people prefer window to aisle. I tend not to recline if I have anyone directly behind me. On AA I noticed that everybody reclines, immediately and for the duration.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
LGW-AMS CE update

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
This is the current seatmap:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LGW on 06/09/16 for AMS
Flying BA flight 2760 in Business/Club

A   C       D   F   
1       -   +       +   -       
2       -   -       -   +       
3       -   -       +   -       
4       +   +       +   +       
        A   C       D   F   

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $                        

Wing                     W                        
Upper Deck               U
Just checked MMB this morning at T-1 day, 3 hours, and both row 1 seats previously only seen by GCH now available to me as SCH. I changed to 1C. So, it is worth still checking.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:52 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I noticed something in my bookings. In my next six s/h hbo flights, I have a seat assignment already. This in itself is not completely unusual as it's happened before, and usually doesn't stick. But there are a couple things that are different this time:

- all six flights have assignments
- all six assignments are respecting my aisle preference
- all six are in the first few rows of economy
- all six have an empty seat next to them

Like I said, I've had early assignments before that didn't stick, but they were usually totally random all over the airplane, and sometimes middles. So i thought this might be interesting if they do stick. Will update on Tuesday after the first flight.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've got a cabin baggage only shorthaul flight today and BA's system helpfully assigned me a middle seat. Thanks BA...
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I've got a cabin baggage only shorthaul flight today and BA's system helpfully assigned me a middle seat. Thanks BA...

Enjoy !

It's not everyone who gets lucky like that.

(no, I wouldn't be happy either ....)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:11 am
Ziz

Originally Posted by Ziz
I noticed something in my bookings. In my next six s/h hbo flights, I have a seat assignment already. This in itself is not completely unusual as it's happened before, and usually doesn't stick. But there are a couple things that are different this time:

- all six flights have assignments
- all six assignments are respecting my aisle preference
- all six are in the first few rows of economy
- all six have an empty seat next to them

Like I said, I've had early assignments before that didn't stick, but they were usually totally random all over the airplane, and sometimes middles. So i thought this might be interesting if they do stick. Will update on Tuesday after the first flight.
As an update, I've now checked in for flight #1 and the seating assignment showing in the app before check in has stuck, with an empty seat next to me. This is anecdotal of course, and n=1 but the seat assignment has never stuck before. So it makes me wonder if BA are also applying the theoretical seating methd to HBO auto-assignments as well, and not just in terms of what people can select themselves.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:50 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
HBO this Saturday to AMS and RTN the same day. Will be sure to provide details of my experience as HBO Gold
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I was on BA124 from DOH and I booked 22C, an Y exit row seat and at the end seats next to me are filled but I still see empty middle seats elsewhere in the cabin...

Can other Golds override the seat block and seat next to me or is it just me being unlucky and expecting too much?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by subject2load
Enjoy !

It's not everyone who gets lucky like that.

(no, I wouldn't be happy either ....)
... but of course there is the option to purchase seat selection if the middle seat is to be avoided, or even purchase a fare that includes seat selection. If I purchase a basic/HBO fare I always pay to select my seat that way I can avoid being placed in a seat that I know I would not be happy in.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
How would one know when they are getting a blocked seat next to them? Say I board first on a domestic into 1A and I am looking at live seat map on expert flyer, would it show as blocked or unoccupied? Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
How would one know when they are getting a blocked seat next to them?
Blocked from T-72, on EF. But it changes dynamically and someone with your status or higher may be free to select the seat on MMB.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Blocked from T-72, on EF. But it changes dynamically and someone with your status or higher may be free to select the seat on MMB.
Thanks CWS
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:07 am
Ziz

On the 767 yesterday, HBO assigned row 9 (so front section). Looked like virtually everyone in that section had a seat next to them spare so think the blocking for silver/gold is working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.