Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
So, it seems the direct aisle access is achieved by making the window seats longer than the aisle seats.

Suspect this will make retro fitting the new seat expensive as bulkheads/galleys/restrooms may need moving as well.

BA will definitely want to maintain a higher density than their competitors.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula
BA will definitely want to maintain a higher density than their competitors.
Agree - CW is a real money-spinner. Given their current focus on the bottom line, I find it difficult to imagine they would roll out anything that is less dense than the current solution.

If they achieve that, with all seat aisle access, then I'm buying a lot of IAG shares
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
It's really a shame that the deplorable storage situation doesn't appear to have improved much. I've only had the misfortune of flying CW once (UuA to First on the return), but was very glad to have stumped up for a window seat to get some privacy in the flying dorm. However, I couldn't for the life of me find somewhere secure to keep my glasses, so when they came around with breakfast and I was just waking up, it was an ordeal to move my seat, get into the tiny storage drawer, and find my glasses. Maybe that little drinks table will work OK for this sort of thing, but I much prefer a little cubby or two to stash things like mobiles and wallets and glasses in.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by mtkeller
It's really a shame that the deplorable storage situation doesn't appear to have improved much. I've only had the misfortune of flying CW once (UuA to First on the return), but was very glad to have stumped up for a window seat to get some privacy in the flying dorm. However, I couldn't for the life of me find somewhere secure to keep my glasses, so when they came around with breakfast and I was just waking up, it was an ordeal to move my seat, get into the tiny storage drawer, and find my glasses. Maybe that little drinks table will work OK for this sort of thing, but I much prefer a little cubby or two to stash things like mobiles and wallets and glasses in.
There's two new storage areas, the 'drinks' table and the one at the head of the seat too. Your phone, wallet (although why you need that I wouldn't know), glasses etc could easily be placed there.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So, it seems the direct aisle access is achieved by making the window seats longer than the aisle seats.
(emphasis mine) Only on Prospero's mock so far It may well prove right but equally, there might be an entirely different system to produce the same results. It would certainly be unprecedented (I think) to have seats of different metric "value" within the J cabin (I mean systematically, obviously exit rows do exist!).
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Some
Thanks very much for Henschmall for posting!

Direct aisle access was a given, more appealing leather finish rather than plastic is a nice to have. Still some misses here though, like the lack of a fixed screen you can watch on landing and take off. Also very difficult to judge how cramped it feels for sleeping on designs so far. So if this is it, is it enough to tempt me back into CW? Inconclusive on the current evidence I think.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
(emphasis mine) Only on Prospero's mock so far It may well prove right but equally, there might be an entirely different system to produce the same results. It would certainly be unprecedented (I think) to have seats of different metric "value" within the J cabin (I mean systematically, obviously exit rows do exist!).
If the seats are the same length then you are going to have "wasted" space to give direct aisle access to all. This design appears to give the aisle an enclosed seat whilst the window foot stool comes from the seat in front and it is this extra room which gives the access. Yes that does mean 2 slightly different seats in the cabin.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well that ticks a lot of boxes for me and thank you for sharing it. Please be extremely careful with what you post, I wouldn't want to see you lose your job. For me no foot coffin direct aisle access and window seat privacy maintained is excellent. Now all they have to do is allow the crew to serve the window seats via the aisle access and without dropping the divider. That'll be the icing on the cake.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
If the seats are the same length then you are going to have "wasted" space to give direct aisle access to all. This design appears to give the aisle an enclosed seat whilst the window foot stool comes from the seat in front and it is this extra room which gives the access. Yes that does mean 2 slightly different seats in the cabin.
So presumably the space cost to each cabin wll be one foot rest area equivalent for each column of seats
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Interesting with the back to back seating (or forward to forward!), having forward facing window seats again. A similar design also features in the patent application, albeit for aisle seats.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
So presumably the space cost to each cabin wll be one foot rest area equivalent for each column of seats
Yes, that is how I see it and also why retro fitting is going to be expensive.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The Cirrus design and most herringbone designs have a certain amount of wasted space at the bulkhead. It will be interesting to see the final BA layout and how much space is actually wasted. No foot coffin outweighs a lot of the potential downsides of the BA design.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
That wasted space is often used by cupboards etc though.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
There's two new storage areas, the 'drinks' table and the one at the head of the seat too. Your phone, wallet (although why you need that I wouldn't know), glasses etc could easily be placed there.
Wallet is not so necessary for an easily-accessible cubby, but I often try to keep my wallet and passport together in flight, and if I'm going to have to fill out a landing card, I want my passport accessible.

In any case, what are you referring to at the head of the seat? I'm only seeing indications of two literature pockets, which is not an adjective I'd use to describe the type of place someone might put their glasses. Or a nighttime bottle of water for that matter. I can just see being awoken mid-flight because some turbulence causes my bottle of water to come down on top of me from the drinks table.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Wallet is not so necessary for an easily-accessible cubby, but I often try to keep my wallet and passport together in flight, and if I'm going to have to fill out a landing card, I want my passport accessible.

In any case, what are you referring to at the head of the seat? I'm only seeing indications of two literature pockets, which is not an adjective I'd use to describe the type of place someone might put their glasses. Or a nighttime bottle of water for that matter. I can just see being awoken mid-flight because some turbulence causes my bottle of water to come down on top of me from the drinks table.
If you look at the original picture, the furthest right text details a 'new storage area'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.