Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:05 am

Not sure is this an ORC or not but if I make a booking of say LHR - JFK - BOS - DTW and AA change their flight times and I accept say LHR - JFK - DTW in advance of travel can I claim ORC for the extra original segment ?

Also interestingly the BA terms and conditions suggest that ORC is only given when you are not rerouted on a One World Flight so a more direct routing due to an IRROP issue on a One World flight would not be valid either ?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LUFTY
Not sure is this an ORC or not but if I make a booking of say LHR - JFK - BOS - DTW and AA change their flight times and I accept say LHR - JFK - DTW in advance of travel can I claim ORC for the extra original segment ?

Also interestingly the BA terms and conditions suggest that ORC is only given when you are not rerouted on a One World Flight so a more direct routing due to an IRROP issue on a One World flight would not be valid either ?
ORC is for involuntary re-routes (i.e. think IRROPS) not for schedule changes which happen months out. If AA do change their schedules then call to ask for something different if what you are presented with is not acceptable.

Also no mention of ORC being restricted to only where the re-route is on another oneworld carrier.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

14.6. Where a Member is involuntarily re-routed by British Airways onto another carrier, and the original flight on which the Member was booked would have qualified for Avios points, the Member may still claim such Avios points online at ba.com. British Airways will endeavour to ensure the Member's account is credited with the appropriate Avios points however it may be necessary for details of the Member's itinerary, including the retained segment of the boarding pass and passenger receipts to be sent to the Member's local service centre in order to claim any Avios points credit.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:26 am

Thanks Karfa

That was my guess as well but just wanted to check.

My second point was taking another carrier to mean "Non One World" otherwise it would imply that it only applies if you are rerouted from a British Airways flight to another airlines flight.

My question still stands if I have booked with BA and fly

LHR - JFK on BA
JFK - BOS on AA
BOS - DTW on AA

And as a result of an American IRROP I actually fly

LHR - JFK on BA
JFK - DTW on AA

Would I then be able to claim for the one extra internal segment which I did not fly because in this situation I am not rerouted onto another carrier ?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by LUFTY
My second point was taking another carrier to mean "Non One World" otherwise it would imply that it only applies if you are rerouted from a British Airways flight to another airlines flight.

My question still stands if I have booked with BA and fly

LHR - JFK on BA
JFK - BOS on AA
BOS - DTW on AA

And as a result of an American IRROP I actually fly

LHR - JFK on BA
JFK - DTW on AA

Would I then be able to claim for the one extra internal segment which I did not fly because in this situation I am not rerouted onto another carrier ?
Doesn't really matter who does the re-route if your travel is disrupted or which carrier you do end up on. It will either be a BA or AA agent on the ground or on the phone. In that situation if you were re-routed due to IRROPS you would be able to claim for the extra TPs based on the originally booked itinerary.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I'm currently at PHX with a new routing due to the winter storm happening right now. YUP fare on AA, AA ticket, original route TUS-PHX-PHL-DCA. Changed PHX-PHL-DCA to PHX-DCA, but in P class. So, is it better to send an email as you have done, or should I use the FT handle of BAmissingavios? 270 vs 60 TP's is a big difference.
Originally Posted by dylanks
I would start with the form and nudge BAmissingavios only if that's not successful. And you're leaving PHX on one of our colder days of the year! PHX-PHL-DCA/BWI is a common route for me as well.
Submitted my ORC claim to the BA general email on 19-Dec, email acknowledgement received on 20-Dec and today I receive an email that BA will now send my ORC request to AA. Is it time to nudge BAmissingavios?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Anyone have any experience with QF? I recently flew an itinerary on a QF ticket involving SIN-MEL on a QF operated flight. This flight was cancelled (sick pilot) and I was rebooked on SQ (same class and routing as booked). When the miles and TPs hadn't posted after seven days I tried calling the BAEC Gold Line, who said because it wasn't a BA flight I was booked on there was nothing they could do. Then I tried just submitting the standard online form for missing miles and TPs as if I had flown the originally booked flight, but this was rejected. Not sure what to try next or whether I'm wasting my time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Anyone have any experience with QF? I recently flew an itinerary on a QF ticket involving SIN-MEL on a QF operated flight. This flight was cancelled (sick pilot) and I was rebooked on SQ (same class and routing as booked). When the miles and TPs hadn't posted after seven days I tried calling the BAEC Gold Line, who said because it wasn't a BA flight I was booked on there was nothing they could do. Then I tried just submitting the standard online form for missing miles and TPs as if I had flown the originally booked flight, but this was rejected. Not sure what to try next or whether I'm wasting my time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi Vindaloo

Do not bother and simply message BAMissingMiles

I never had much luck calling or submitting an online request but a private message to BAMissingMiles has been 100% successful.

I believe Qantas need to agree this as they pay for the tier points that BA gives.

It seems to be the case that BAMissingMiles understand the detail and know how to submit the claim correctly to get the right response from the relevant carrier.

Kind regards

Lufty
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:55 pm

Thanks, I will try that.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Fair play. I'm not the biggest fan of BA at the moment, but they and Qantas have done the right thing here, as a single PM to BAMissingAvios got me the miles and TPs for my booked itinerary. Thanks to both, and to Lufty for the tip!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
Does anyone know good the process is with other OW airlines. Flying QR next month. If they reroute due to their issues am I likely to be successful with a ORC claim?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Cityguy1
Does anyone know good the process is with other OW airlines. Flying QR next month. If they reroute due to their issues am I likely to be successful with a ORC claim?

Thanks
Hi Cityguy1

I have had successful ORC claims when rerouted on Qatar so you should be fine.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
I think my recent case is a bit more complex than the norm involving 3 airlines. I booked one of the San Antonio deals (which I flew last weekend). Route was supposed to be: MAN-HEL-ORD-DFW-SAT and return. So Finnair on first 2 sectors, and then AA on final 2 sectors. It was BA ticketed.

I managed to get to San Antonio ok, although I had two instances of flight delays due to aircraft maintenance. When the ORD-DFW was delayed by 3 hours, AA attempted to re-route me on a direct ORD-SAT in economy, but I managed to get them to reroute me in first class. Ended up arriving 5 hours later than planned. Not the end of the world. San Antonio is a great place to go to (BTW).

Real problem arose on the return. SAT-DFW was ok. Then at DFW my DFW-ORD was delayed due to aircraft maintenance (3rd time on this trip). It kept getting delayed by an hour or so. I had 5 hours connection time at ORD, but the AA agent in DFW and I knew where this was heading - to a cancelaltion. So the AA agent rerouted me back on a different route: DFW-LHR-MAN with AA and then BA. As expected a couple of hours later, the DFW-ORD flight was cancelled, so the reroute saved a load of hassle for everyone. Anyway, I am down by 80 TPs.

I have emailed the priority assistance line, and their initial response was that Finnair don't provide ORC. I've responded already highlighting this was an IRROPS situation and Finnair do provide ORC - they provided ORC on one of my recent TLL TP runs.

The complication here is that the return TATL was due to be flown on Finnair, but in the end I flew AA TATL. So who is BA supposed to contact to get my ORC credited? Is it Finnair or AA?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by billinghamn
I think my recent case is a bit more complex than the norm involving 3 airlines. I booked one of the San Antonio deals (which I flew last weekend). Route was supposed to be: MAN-HEL-ORD-DFW-SAT and return. So Finnair on first 2 sectors, and then AA on final 2 sectors. It was BA ticketed.

I managed to get to San Antonio ok, although I had two instances of flight delays due to aircraft maintenance. When the ORD-DFW was delayed by 3 hours, AA attempted to re-route me on a direct ORD-SAT in economy, but I managed to get them to reroute me in first class. Ended up arriving 5 hours later than planned. Not the end of the world. San Antonio is a great place to go to (BTW).

Real problem arose on the return. SAT-DFW was ok. Then at DFW my DFW-ORD was delayed due to aircraft maintenance (3rd time on this trip). It kept getting delayed by an hour or so. I had 5 hours connection time at ORD, but the AA agent in DFW and I knew where this was heading - to a cancelaltion. So the AA agent rerouted me back on a different route: DFW-LHR-MAN with AA and then BA. As expected a couple of hours later, the DFW-ORD flight was cancelled, so the reroute saved a load of hassle for everyone. Anyway, I am down by 80 TPs.

I have emailed the priority assistance line, and their initial response was that Finnair don't provide ORC. I've responded already highlighting this was an IRROPS situation and Finnair do provide ORC - they provided ORC on one of my recent TLL TP runs.

The complication here is that the return TATL was due to be flown on Finnair, but in the end I flew AA TATL. So who is BA supposed to contact to get my ORC credited? Is it Finnair or AA?
Just a thought, you mentioned you did get ORC on your TLL trip and therefore AY do ORC. However, I thought the marketing airline was the one crediting and I assume your TLL flights were all BA marketed, in which case it was BA doing the ORC and not AY? Could it be true that AY don't do ORC?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Just a thought, you mentioned you did get ORC on your TLL trip and therefore AY do ORC. However, I thought the marketing airline was the one crediting and I assume your TLL flights were all BA marketed, in which case it was BA doing the ORC and not AY? Could it be true that AY don't do ORC?
Good point. But the TLL flights were AY flights with AY flight codes although on a BA 125 ticket.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
When BA adjusts for ORC, if you only mention tier points, do they adjust avios also?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.