Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
Just curious, are the TA fares the sum of the parts?

If yes, what I said in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30584528-post132.html is wrong, it's not airlines trying to stop travellers avoiding married segment fares.
Yes the TA fare was the same as buying the KLM and BA flights separately. There’s two e-ticket numbers as well (and a separate PNR for each of BA and KL), but wrapped by one PNR which is the travel agents PNR.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
It was over a year ago that I did this, but I checked two bags in for the route TPE - HKG - LHR - AMS - BSL, with AMS-BSL on KLM. The rest were all bought through BA although as the TPE-HKG flight was on Cathay so that's whose check-in desk I used at TPE.

Interestingly, I checked in two bags (1x30Kg, 1x20Kg) and was worried as the AMS-BSL flight was KLM economy, but it proved no issue.

I got an sms while in AMS saying my bags didn't make the LHR-AMS flight despite having a 5 hour transit at LHR. I did try to get both BA and KLM to send the bag from LHR to BSL (in which case it could have beaten me as I had another 5 hour transit at AMS!) but they said the bag had to fly the original route. I got them the next day. The bags were quite heavy so having them couriered to me saved me the hassle of getting them to my place from the airport in BSL.
In your case, CX was the check in carrier and they have said they will continue to check through on separate bookings.

Was your KLM ticket purchased separately, or was this one booking through a travel agent?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:00 am

Booked separately. BA ticket booked over the phone (as BA's website can't handle a stop-over in HKG on the way). KLM booked online on KLM's website.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no "bad publicity". Rather, a bit of whinging on FT.

If there were any market research suggesting that an appreciable share of the market is booking away from BA-AA, those carriers might well shift their position. Leads me to believe that there is not.

As to MCT, that merely represents a carrier's willingness to assume the risk of a misconnect. But, that presupposes a connection, not a transfer. MCT no longer needs to be published (although it is afailable on EF), as it is baked into the GDS. Thus, one can't book a connection below MCT. Once upon a time, an agent had to construct connections manually and that meant looking up the MCT to assure that he was not selling a ticket at below MCT.
I disagree. I was caught out by this recently. Award ticket plus revenue follow on. I don't fly BA much so had no idea. Now that I do, I will avoid flying BA in future. In fact, having done 5 BA flights in the past 2 weeks, this was just our introduction to how poor an airline BA has become. It's lost my business.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by sxc

Yes the TA fare was the same as buying the KLM and BA flights separately. There’s two e-ticket numbers as well (and a separate PNR for each of BA and KL), but wrapped by one PNR which is the travel agents PNR.
When this happens both airlines see each other’s segments as INFO SEGS in their systems if they are using separate systems as long as the flights are within 24 hours. If both airlines are using the same system as BA and KL does (they are both on Amadeus), they even share the same Amadeus record locator (even if the travel agent uses a different GDS)!

For most check in staff, this simply appears as one booking/ticket as long as they don’t get nosy and pull up the eticket record and look at the underlying tickets. When the counter is busy and has a long lineup, they don’t bother to check unless somehow your flight segment got disassociated with the eticket and they need to reattach it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OMG, this is an abstract Thread!

So ... doing JER-LGW and return on BA tix/PNR. Then onward with QR on totally separate tix/PNR. I assume we thus have to drag the cases from LGW South to North and re-check?

What was oneWorld all about?? Are the different PNRs even linkeable, as they’re on the different carrier’s tickets?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
OMG, this is an abstract Thread!

So ... doing JER-LGW and return on BA tix/PNR. Then onward with QR on totally separate tix/PNR. I assume we thus have to drag the cases from LGW South to North and re-check?

What was oneWorld all about?? Are the different PNRs even linkeable, as they’re on the different carrier’s tickets?
you need to recheck your bags at LGW. BA’s policy is not to check through on separate tickets. You can’t link the separate bookings to overcome this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
Yes, you've got the hang of it. You would have to collect your bags at South and take them to North.
Buy oneTicket and you get oneWorld I guess. It should be cheaper too, but may require some ferreting around to get it ticketed. If on separate tickets they are not linkable, not that does anything useful anyway.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA

you need to recheck your bags at LGW. BA’s policy is not to check through on separate tickets. You can’t link the separate bookings to overcome this.
Thanks ... I assumed that was the case () but just checking with the experts. ^

Bu§§er!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by daniellam

When this happens both airlines see each other’s segments as INFO SEGS in their systems if they are using separate systems as long as the flights are within 24 hours. If both airlines are using the same system as BA and KL does (they are both on Amadeus), they even share the same Amadeus record locator (even if the travel agent uses a different GDS)!

For most check in staff, this simply appears as one booking/ticket as long as they don’t get nosy and pull up the eticket record and look at the underlying tickets. When the counter is busy and has a long lineup, they don’t bother to check unless somehow your flight segment got disassociated with the eticket and they need to reattach it.
Just to be certain in my case, although BA and KL both use Amadeus, they had separate RLOC numbers (I assume this is the same as PNR) and separate e-ticket numbers, but they were wrapped by the travel agent PNR.

If you looked in the KL "manage my booking" you would see the whole itinerary including the BA flights, and vice versa.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:50 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
A bit of an anecdote for this thread from my recent experience.

Traveled YYZ-LHR-AMM-DXB with YYZ-LHR-AMM on BA and AMM-DXB on an Avios-claimed RJ ticket. All legs J.

No dice in YYZ with interlining as expected, however at AMM I went to the RJ airside transfer desk (which also handled all OW carriers) and enquired about using the transfer route. They checked me in and took my luggage tags to go hunt for my luggage at the luggage belt (I also gave them photos of my luggage to assist them), and re-checked them in -- no need for me to go landside or pay the 40 JOD visa-on-arrival fee which I was expecting to have to do. Took about 40 minutes to complete and stayed airside the entire time.

While inconvenient, certainly worth enquiring if going landside is expensive and/or you have time to spare.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:06 pm

CX to BA interline no problem

We have 2 separate reward flight booked from SGN > HKG > LHR.
First sector in J with CX.
Second sector BA in First.

We have a 7 hours layover in HKG. The CX agent at SGN airport was happy to check our luggages all the way to LHR and even provided our boarding passes for our BA flight.

Is this normal?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
We have 2 separate reward flight booked from SGN > HKG > LHR.
First sector in J with CX.
Second sector BA in First.

We have a 7 hours layover in HKG. The CX agent at SGN airport was happy to check our luggages all the way to LHR and even provided our boarding passes for our BA flight.

Is this normal?
CX to BA, yes. BA to CX, no.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
JFK tonight: revenue ticket followed by separate Avios ticket to Glasgow.

Fully expected to collect and recheck luggage but unprompted agent at First checkin said the bags would be sent to Glasgow and she issued both boarding passes.

One off / fluke most likely but very welcome. maybe to make up for the travesty that is the overcrowded lounge. Once again full to the rafters in first so banished to pre flight dining then told to use the old club lounge through the back.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA, LH
A very welcome experience this past weekend - not remotely expected.

AC J-class revenue ticket YVR-SEA, followed by separate BA J-class Avios ticket SEA-LHR-EDI.

The AC check-in agent at YVR noted on our file that, when I'd booked the AC ticket, I'd indicated we were flying on that evening when asked for a 1st night US address. She asked for details and proactively offered to check our luggage right through to EDI, on the basis that AC and BA have a baggage handling agreement. She clearly understood the implications, and took great care to check flight numbers and dates of our connecting flights, recognising that liability would fall on AC if the bags were lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.