Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
What is the wisdom regarding a travel agent purchased ticket (one travel agent PNR) which contains two tickets: BA and KLM. Will BA check through to KLM?

I believe it should be okay since it is one PNR, and BA and KL have an interline agreement.
If it is 1 pnr then BA will through check the bags.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rapidex
I guess where I get confused is when the ticket itself has an RLOC/PNR for the airline. So there will be two PNRs inside the travel agent PNR. But I assume it's the travel agent PNR that matters.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
We are meeting someone at LHR T5 who is flying down from EDI in CE ( Avios ticket). We are all then flying F on BA11 to SIN. Any chance that she can pursuade the EDI check in agent to through cjeck the bags to SIN.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by col747uk
We are meeting someone at LHR T5 who is flying down from EDI in CE ( Avios ticket). We are all then flying F on BA11 to SIN. Any chance that she can pursuade the EDI check in agent to through cjeck the bags to SIN.
There has always been a chance, and recent reports suggest the chance may be higher than before. But published policy has not changed. So what level of certainty are you looking for? Nobody can really know until the moment that she checks in at EDI.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There has always been a chance, and recent reports suggest the chance may be higher than before. But published policy has not changed. So what level of certainty are you looking for? Nobody can really know until the moment that she checks in at EDI.
It might be a good idea to call the Gold hotline. Done that this year where I had a reward flight from CDG to LHR and then an F flight to MCT (promo paid ticket). I asked the agent if it was possible to do it. She told me usually not, but she would try. I arrived at CDG 2A and asked them to check the luggage through to MCT which they did without a problem. I am not sure if the call center agent did something or if it was the check in agent at CDG that didn't follow the procedures.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6948
I am not sure if the call center agent did something or if it was the check in agent at CDG that didn't follow the procedures.
It won't have been the Contact Centre agent, at best all s/he could do is put a note in the reservation, which would have little bearing on matters. Much more likely is that the outsourced agents in CDG didn't know or care about BA's policy, likelier still is as mentioned upthread: Altéa will attempt to match up and link in two reservations with identical passenger details and that provides a channel for through checking luggage - it would take an effort to break the link.

So I wouldn't bother calling up, but if anyone wants to improve their chances, if they book their tickets in an identical way, ideally using BA.com and taking the passenger information off their BAEC profile, then there is a greater chance of the linkage working. I had an indirect experience of this the other day when I was met by the T5 to T3 Jaguar, when I had two separate bookings. On paper BA should not have been expecting me to arrive in T5, but the 2 PNRs got linked anyway.

I'd be interested in someone who has seen this with one reservation done with Avios, and another revenue. These are processed differently by BA, and the ticketing is different too. So I'm not sure whether this gives enough points for the connection / linkage to be made.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It won't have been the Contact Centre agent, at best all s/he could do is put a note in the reservation, which would have little bearing on matters. Much more likely is that the outsourced agents in CDG didn't know or care about BA's policy, likelier still is as mentioned upthread: Altéa will attempt to match up and link in two reservations with identical passenger details and that provides a channel for through checking luggage - it would take an effort to break the link.

So I wouldn't bother calling up, but if anyone wants to improve their chances, if they book their tickets in an identical way, ideally using BA.com and taking the passenger information off their BAEC profile, then there is a greater chance of the linkage working. I had an indirect experience of this the other day when I was met by the T5 to T3 Jaguar, when I had two separate bookings. On paper BA should not have been expecting me to arrive in T5, but the 2 PNRs got linked anyway.

I'd be interested in someone who has seen this with one reservation done with Avios, and another revenue. These are processed differently by BA, and the ticketing is different too. So I'm not sure whether this gives enough points for the connection / linkage to be made.
BA always recognises Royalty
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I guess where I get confused is when the ticket itself has an RLOC/PNR for the airline. So there will be two PNRs inside the travel agent PNR. But I assume it's the travel agent PNR that matters.
The travel agents would be up in arms if BA stopped honouring the single ticket interline agreement.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:59 am

BA always recognises Royalty
Is that why they flew QF down to Aus?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Is that why they flew QF down to Aus?
Their only minor Royals, unlike C-W-S
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
In my experience BA is absolutely worst when it comes to luggage interlining now and many times I buy tickets at different points of time and need checked luggage (as much as I try to avoid it).
CX had no problem checking CEB-HKG-FRA-BRU-BCN across 3 tickets and HAN-HKG-JFK-LHR-VIE on HX/CX/BA across separate tickets too.
BA was not help when I last needed this service...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd be interested in someone who has seen this with one reservation done with Avios, and another revenue.
I've had several combinations of Avios and revenue in both directions where the bookings have been associated, BPs for both printed automatically and luggage offered to be checked through.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
I'd be grateful for any advice on the following: in November I have separate tickets LGW - BGI (Barbados) on BA in WTP, followed by a Liat flight to GND (Grenada) departing 1:50 after arrival. I booked the BA tickets in the sale before we had lined up our ultimate destination. I'm fully expecting not to be able to check my luggage through,although thought we'd try nonetheless at LGW. I'm concerned about going through customs/immigration, collecting luggage and then re-checking within the deadline for the Liat flight. It is the last flight of the day. Besides going HBO (which is not really an option due to liquids restrictions), are there any other options for us to consider? I'm considering if the BA flights is late, pro-actively changing the Liat flight to the next day, but once we are on board our options become limited. Thoughts/ideas?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: LH SEN
BA should not through check onto KLM if on separate tickets, even if on one PNR, as explained above in post #1800 .
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:28 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by esledo
BA should not through check onto KLM if on separate tickets, even if on one PNR, as explained above in post #1800 .
Originally Posted by daniellam
The good thing is that both BA and KL are on Amadeus Altea DCS. When checking in with BA, try to use their automated kiosks (even better if they have self-tagging). The system will automatically see it as one booking and attempt to check you in to the final destination and print the bag tags!

Things may get bad if you get an over zealous check-in agent who takes the extra step to "view" each e-ticket during the check-in process and refuse to check you in to the KL flight. However, if the agent is lazy, you'll likely get checked into your final destination.
??

Anyway seems like everyone has a different opinion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.