Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But at least you will be able to see immediately from your bag tag whether or not the agent has through-checked the bag. If they have, then you should be fine (although in your shoes I would still make sure to give the bag tag number to a gate agent at LHR to ensure that the bag gets loaded there). If they have not, then you are no worse off than if the agent had simply parroted the policy and refused to do anything for you.
An update on this: as expected, the BA staff at DEL parroted the policy and would check my bag only to LHR, not DFW. I actually ended up having to go through Customs and Immigration at LHR just so I could retrieve and re-check my bag. Fortunately I'd scheduled a very long layover and was able to use the Priority Immigration line. The separate PNR was also a source of anxiety on my way over; I figured that if I somehow missed my LHR-DEL (PNR #2 ) flight due to late arrival of my flight (PNR #1 ) from North America into LHR (unlikely since I'd booked an overnight at LHR but I'm really good at finding things to worry about), BA would probably take no responsibility for getting me to DEL on a later flight without charging a lot of money.

Lesson learned; I will never again book a trip on separate PNRs just because the Web site doesn't allow booking the trip all at once. I'll sit on Hold till I can talk to a human.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
Originally Posted by gilfiom
Maybe it's a Glasgow thing! lol!

I'm doing the reverse in a few weeks time (GLA - LHR - MEX) and it's still separate tickets (though different bookings as I'll have been on six other trips by then) so it will be interesting to see if the same happens in Glasgow.

IF NOT - no problem as I have plenty of time at LHR to pick-up and re-check!

ETA - interesting that you are Gold also - I wonder if there is a change afoot.
Just to report back, I flew GLA - LHR - MEX last week on seperate PNR's and was checked through to Mexico without a word from me. So it appears a patchy implementation of the rules or perhaps some softening, which depends on status/ routes/ cabin.

Good old BA!
Old May 29, 2018, 10:49 am

Just to report back, I flew GLA - LHR - MEX last week on seperate PNR's and was checked through to Mexico without a word from me. So it appears a patchy implementation of the rules or perhaps some softening, which depends on status/ routes/ cabin.

Good old BA!
One thing BA excels at is inconsistency.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
One thing BA excels at is inconsistency.
Not always.

AdBoy, markle, dylanks and 3 others like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Good old BA!
Here is my theory.

Somehow the "automatically find connections" feature in Amadeus Altea (DCS) got turned on. With this feature turned on, the system automatically crawls and searches for check-in records (Customer Record in Amadeus terminology) that it thinks are candidates for getting merged as they may belong to the same "customer".

Amadeus Altea is designed on the basis of serving "the customer" as opposed to "a single booking" (this is contrary to BA's philosophy where you are looked at as "just another booking" as opposed to a customer).

There usually has to be some sort of key identifying information in each booking that are are common across bookings for merging to automatically occur. For example, the passenger name (SMITH/JOHN MR and SMITH/JOHN are seen as two different passengers and won't automatically be merged) must match exactly on both bookings, API information such as date of birth, passport number, full name etc. much match exactly before automatically merging.

Sometimes when the system is unsure whether to merge the check-in records (eg. due to different FF numbers, name too common etc.), it prompts the agent for manual intervention. In this case, check-in agents would have automatically answered "no" when the system asks "do you want to merge?".

While in other cases, the the check-in records may have already been automatically merged when the check-in agent goes into it and is not aware the check-in record is a result of two or more records being merged.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems a bit unwise that the records get automatically merged.

I wonder if anyone did any statistics on the frequency of record collisions between two different passengers whose identities randomly coincide. You can imagine among certain common names, particularly in certain places in the world, it could be relatively common. I suppose the difficulty of trying to get her these statistics would be determining what was a collision (of two different people) and what was a valid merge (probably a rare event anyway). But I think you could get a fair estimate by merging across ignoring one variable (such as date of birth) and then seeing how many of those merges would have failed if the DoB had been taken into account (adjusting for the a priori probability of two DoBs randomly coinciding), and then repeating over other variables, to get an estimate of the relative contribution of uncertainty from each field.

Actually sounds like quite a fun project....
Old May 30, 2018, 12:46 am

Usually you would use some form of unique identifier or key - in an airline case an FF number or a passport no. should do the trick alongside something like DOB for extra safety.

As an aside, this is something I am involved with in a different industry. In the UK this is pretty challenging as we don't have an identity card number that we commonly capture. Across our sprawling estate of systems you can "exist" many times without us being sure we are looking at the same person. We are undertaking a huge exercise (including eyeballing 1000s of records in the worst cases) to merge these records.

Luckily I've moved to Asia where we capture a unique ID number in all the markets we operate in, so a far more simple proposition
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Usually you would use some form of unique identifier or key - in an airline case an FF number or a passport no. should do the trick alongside something like DOB for extra safety.
Neither of these are guaranteed to be consistent across multiple PNRs (people can have several passports and several FQTV numbers, and none need be associated with a booking) but I appreciate it would significantly reduce the error rate.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:43 pm

This threat has so far been regarding baggage only.
I think a key reason why this policy was enforced were due to rebookings/ compensation. Example:

Seperat tickets AMS LHR and LHR LAX both BA
2 tickets = 2 contracts

If AMS to LHR gets delayed BA is not required to assist with rebooking to LAX as the tickets are seperated. In case the next LAX flight will depart the next day BA saves money for hotel and compensation according to EU 261 as BA is not responsible despite the passenger has/had a ticket on BA out of LHR.

If AMS through checks the passenger all the way the passenger might claim BA for assisting if he/she misconnects in LHR.

I'm sure baggagehandling is the less issue with this policy.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Except there is nothing stopping you buying the trip on a single ticket where you will get protection for delays etc.

it’s a choice that you make as a flyer,

bags being checked through on separate tickets does not give you protection or access to delay compensation as it’s the tickets that matter
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Except there is nothing stopping you buying the trip on a single ticket where you will get protection for delays etc.

it’s a choice that you make as a flyer,

bags being checked through on separate tickets does not give you protection or access to delay compensation as it’s the tickets that matter
Except that you can't book a reward flight with a paid flight... apparently rare, I know, I know, except for others like me. I'm dealing with it.
fairhsa and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not just BA. AA does as well. While EC 261/2004 does apply to departures from the EU for AA, the scenario AMS-LHR-JFK where the first segment's delay causes a delay to the second segment triggering Type 3 rather than Type 1 compensation won't happen to AA because it does not (may not) operate the initial short-hop which causes this problem.

Moreover, unlike BA and almost all other carriers, AA does rebook across separate AA-AA, AA-OW, and OW-AA tickets. While the COC provision offered by AA is not protection in the full sense, one does get rebooked, which is an awful lot better that having the onwards ticket cancelled.

Nonetheless, AA will not check bags across tickets, even AA-AA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by KermitDK
This threat has so far been regarding baggage only.
I think a key reason why this policy was enforced were due to rebookings/ compensation. Example:

Seperat tickets AMS LHR and LHR LAX both BA
2 tickets = 2 contracts

If AMS to LHR gets delayed BA is not required to assist with rebooking to LAX as the tickets are seperated. In case the next LAX flight will depart the next day BA saves money for hotel and compensation according to EU 261 as BA is not responsible despite the passenger has/had a ticket on BA out of LHR.

If AMS through checks the passenger all the way the passenger might claim BA for assisting if he/she misconnects in LHR.

I'm sure baggagehandling is the less issue with this policy.
This isn't right - historically, protection has been separate from checking through luggage. (And it still is, on *A and other carriers that allow for luggage check-through.)

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Plenty of examples given already in this thread.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:10 am

I will still claim that it's due to economy But we all have different options
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by KermitDK
I will still claim that it's due to economy But we all have different options
By 'economy' do you mean you think they are doing it to save money? I don't think anyone would disagree with you there.

(Although this is FT where people seem to be able to disagree on anything and everything ...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.