Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AussiePete
We live in Lonodn but had booked a (cheap) OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD in J using Cash before the COVID-19 mess started and then booked a LHR-OSL return using Points to get us upto and back from Oslo at either end of the cash booking.

Initially, we'd been planning on flying LHR-OSL early on the day of the OSL-SYD haul, spending the day in OSL, a nice lunch, etc and then heading off on the trip to Australia. However, we're now having issues with COVID-19 where BA is reducing European flights and we've been re-booked on a LHR-OSL flight which sees us on the same operating tin for LHR-OSL and then OSL-SYD. This is a trip we've done before - and we've learned (the hard way) that there is not sufficient time to claim luggage and re-check in OSL. On one occasion we were lucky to find a nice checkin at the Gold desk in LHR who actually let us board our luggage to SYD from LHR i.e. we flew LHR-OSL and then OSL-LHR without our luggage, it boarded at LHR and joined us in SYD.

However, the last two times we've made this trip they wouldn't let us do this (security).
There have been no recent reports of this being a problem, so you should be able to check your bags in LHR for the LHR-SIN-SYD flights alone before you do LHR-OSL and OSL-LHR. If you check-in online, make sure that you select "Not sure" for the number of bags you are checking.
Originally Posted by AussiePete
Ignoring the advisability of actually spending any time in Airports or Planes at present does anyone know if BA with let us cross-check our luggage by linking the two PNR's in, effect an internline between two BA operating flights on different PNR's ? This would mean we don't have to claim and check luggage in OSL.
This is a no. Leaving aside the BA policy issues that are the subject of this thread, a bag can't be tagged LHR-OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD for technical reasons.
jerry a. laska and argonath like this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hi All

I just wanted to check if anyone was aware of a relaxation of this policy during the current crisis. Does anyone know whether BA agents are allowed to apply any discretion when it comes to through checking bags between their own flights or with OneWorld partners (particularly Iberia)?

Thanks
Bob
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:51 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I know of one example only at HKG. HKG-LHR one ticket, LHR-GLA separate ticket. The check in staff had to get approval to allow a check through and they made it clear that this was an exception due to COVID. This was in July.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I know of one example only at HKG. HKG-LHR one ticket, LHR-GLA separate ticket. The check in staff had to get approval to allow a check through and they made it clear that this was an exception due to COVID. This was in July.
Thanks for thay. Unfortunately it seems safer to assume that things are as they were.

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
I got lucky last month at Chicago (ORD). I was flying DCA-ORD-LHR-HEL all on separate tickets. I claimed my bags in Chicago after my AA flight and went to the BA check-in desk and asked if she could check the bags through to HEL on a Finnair ticket so I wouldn't have to go through the UK border and claim and re-check. She checked with her supervisor and said they don't normally do it but they would for me. Helped me out a lot since I could just take the shuttle bus from T5 to T2 to get the flight to HEL.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:33 am

Thanks. It's really helpful to see another data point but interesting that neither have been departures from Heathrow.
Bob
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There have been no recent reports of this being a problem, so you should be able to check your bags in LHR for the LHR-SIN-SYD flights alone before you do LHR-OSL and OSL-LHR. If you check-in online, make sure that you select "Not sure" for the number of bags you are checking.This is a no. Leaving aside the BA policy issues that are the subject of this thread, a bag can't be tagged LHR-OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD for technical reasons.
nope that is not possible anymore. I spend in october 2018 1 hour at the first class check in and the system didn't allow this to happen though six BA reps. tried their best to get this sorted.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by fliegwech
nope that is not possible anymore. I spend in october 2018 1 hour at the first class check in and the system didn't allow this to happen though six BA reps. tried their best to get this sorted.
You must have been very unlucky. I have done this numerous times, especially when i needed a daytrip to scotland before taking the evening flight to VIE or BCN. Morning check in bag to BNC/VIE and off i go EDI/INV etc...
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You must have been very unlucky. I have done this numerous times, especially when i needed a daytrip to scotland before taking the evening flight to VIE or BCN. Morning check in bag to BNC/VIE and off i go EDI/INV etc...
If you are flying LHR-OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD, then you are gaming the system by reducing the flight cost. If you are flying LHR-EDI-LHR-BCN, then you are probably not gaming the system. Could this be the difference?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Im a new user
If you are flying LHR-OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD, then you are gaming the system by reducing the flight cost. If you are flying LHR-EDI-LHR-BCN, then you are probably not gaming the system. Could this be the difference?
I dont think so - It might be that the agent didnt know what to do but checking in luggage for a future segment has never been a problem for me or any of my friends. I did have issues checking across separate PNRs (but that only happens to me on IB,BA,AV). Even LH was willing to check through separate tickets FRA-CDG-LHR LH-BA connection on separate tickets before...
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Agreed, did this twice in Dec last year. Haven’t flown enough this year to need to try.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 4:51 am

BA policy is not to accept through checked luggage on separate PNRs. But the technical functionality remains in their systems, even if agents and GHAs have been told not to use it, so there are always going to be cases where people have for some reason been granted exceptions.

There is no restriction on accepting bags into BA that have been tagged by another airline. So if connecting from LH, SQ, etc. then that airline can through-check if they want to (it’s also their responsibility to ensure it makes the connection or to reflight it if it doesn’t, which might provide the background to why BA no longer does it). It does tend to be the case that Star Alliance carriers are more customer-friendly in this regard, as I almost never have an issue with them accepting a bag onto BA. I do wish BA would do the reverse, but there we go.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Im a new user
No, I've done this as recently as December 2019 with no problem: checked a bag for LHR-HKG before flying LHR-AMS then AMS-LHR.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, I've done this as recently as December 2019 with no problem: checked a bag for LHR-HKG before flying LHR-AMS then AMS-LHR.
I believe you can do it on the automated bag drop machines too.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KARFA
I believe you can do it on the automated bag drop machines too.
This is nothing to do with checking through on separate tickets though, which is what the thread topoc is. Having a ticket XXX-LHR-YYY and checking bags in at LHR for LHR-YYY is just simply checking in a bag for a single journey - that there is a separate ticket for LHR-XXX doesn't make it checking through on a separate ticket and so would not seem to be something that would be covered by the policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.