Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I recently flew WAW-LHR-DUB with BA on two tickets (revenue and then Avios, respectively) and was surprised that my check-in bag was automatically checked through to Dublin. I usually carry-on so I may have misunderstood, but isn’t this something BA says they won’t do any more?
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I recently flew WAW-LHR-DUB with BA on two tickets (revenue and then Avios, respectively) and was surprised that my check-in bag was automatically checked through to Dublin. I usually carry-on so I may have misunderstood, but isn’t this something BA says they won’t do any more?
Did you check in at a physical counter in WAW? Perhaps the agents at WAW might not be actual BA staff and instead are working for a ground handling company that handles many different airlines?

Amadeus Altea CM (which BA and many other carriers use as their check in system) has a function key in the check-in screen labeled "Find Connection". Maybe the agent doing check-in that day normally does check-in for another airline where it is customary to use that function?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
It happens sometimes especially at outstations. It shouldn't be relied upon and it's not in line with policy but it does happen sometimes.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by daniellam
Amadeus Altea CM (which BA and many other carriers use as their check in system) has a function key in the check-in screen labeled "Find Connection". Maybe the agent doing check-in that day normally does check-in for another airline where it is customary to use that function?
BA uses FLY, rather than native Altéa but one of the features of Altéa is that it sometimes find connections automatically. It does an assessment of passengers and someone using the same name, same frequent flyer number may end up being joined. So if you check in for a flight, or request boarding passes at an airport then the whole thing gets connected within the maximum extent of baggage rules (so no doubling back to the same airport). In which case the agent is usually oblivious to what has gone on, adds the tags on to the bags and simply hands over the boarding passes. It can't be relied on, but it does usually happen. It's been noted several times upthread too. You can tell this has happened by looking at the final boarding pass - it should have the PNR of the first flight on it, which would actually be incorrect for the final flight.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps the agents at WAW might not be actual BA staff
That was without doubt not a BA employee but that of a handling agent. BA does not have any staff at any European station outside the UK any more.
EuropeanPete and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Checking bags across 2 bookings connecting at LHR

Flying from Boston to LHR and then LHR to Faro , on 2 separate tickets.
have a 4 hour connection. Can I check my bag all the way through from boston.to save waiting for it at LHR and re checking?

All flights are T5 if that helps

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Policy is no. And in practice it’s likely to be a no. But you can always ask and you might get lucky. 4 hours should be enough for o collect bags and recheck if things are close to on time.
stewaran likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assume you can't do this. But if FLY (or rather Altéa) connects the bookings then BOS may do it automatically for you. You just can't assume it will be so. If the two bookings were made in a similar way then there is a greater chance of this happening, but it links on things like name, frequent flyer number, passport number. But your working assumption is that you will be spending time in baggage reclaim in LHR.
stewaran and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
I was rather hoping that separate bookings from NCL-LHR and LHR-ATH would be connected by FLY. Sadly it was not to be. So I had to collect and recheck at LHR.
stewaran likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:23 am

I’ve quite often booked YYZ-LHR with one or more others on the booking, then LHR-MAN separately for just me, and checkin at YYZ always checks that my final destination is MAN and checks bags accordingly.

Similar experience on LAX-LHR followed by separate LHR-MAN.

Maybe I’ve been lucky - I do always make sure I have time to reclaim and recheck if necessary.
stewaran likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assume you can't do this. But if FLY (or rather Altéa) connects the bookings then BOS may do it automatically for you. You just can't assume it will be so. If the two bookings were made in a similar way then there is a greater chance of this happening, but it links on things like name, frequent flyer number, passport number. But your working assumption is that you will be spending time in baggage reclaim in LHR.
Both bookings made directly with BA (lhr-fao is avios) , is there any possibility phoning to link the booking?
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
Both bookings made directly with BA (lhr-fao is avios) , is there any possibility phoning to link the booking?
No point in calling up, this question is asked here so frequently that if there was any leeway on this I would have spotted it. There isn't. If one was Avios, the other cash, then that makes it less likely to come up as a FLY workflow, Avios and cash tickets have different structures. I guess one is business, the other is leisure, since it would usually be cheaper to combine FAO into one ticket in the first instance, if it's a Europe-USA booking.
orbitmic, stewaran and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:54 am

No point in calling up, this question is asked here so frequently that if there was any leeway on this I would have spotted it. There isn't. If one was Avios, the other cash, then that makes it less likely to come up as a FLY workflow, Avios and cash tickets have different structures. I guess one is business, the other is leisure, since it would usually be cheaper to combine FAO into one ticket in the first instance, if it's a Europe-USA booking.
Spot on, work to Boston and then some golf

Thanks for clarification.

Spent an hour and a half waiting for bagged this week, so was hoping to avoid that again.

Is there a SLA for baggage delivery at T5?
Old Apr 14, 2024, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
Is there a SLA for baggage delivery at T5?
Yes, 20 minutes after arrival, but I'm not sure that helps you much!
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:01 am

Yes, 20 minutes after arrival, but I'm not sure that helps you much!
Thanks was just interested as we were debating what it might be while we waited in thursday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.