Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hey, PETER01,you used to fly Y, IIRC, before your ‘elevation’, so you must have some tales to tell
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by T8191
Hey, PETER01,you used to fly Y, IIRC, before your ‘elevation’, so you must have some tales to tell
Used to?!!! I was in Y both ways to and from Miami last week I'll have you know and my next 2 longhauls next month and April are in WTP which I'm perfectly happy with. This makes me very much appreciate J and F when I am am fortunate to choose that.

I will write up something though. This retirement lark takes up lots of time as you well know
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETER01
Used to?!!! I was in Y both ways to and from Miami last week I'll have you know and my next 2 longhauls next month and April are in WTP which I'm perfectly happy with. This makes me very much appreciate J and F when I am am fortunate to choose that.
Brave man! I look forward to the photos and the Trip Reports, mate!!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Brave man! I look forward to the photos and the Trip Reports, mate!!
I'd rather fly more by choosing lower cabins and spend money in nicer hotels than restrict the number of times I can jet off. I never noted enough for a TR though I'm afraid.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I don't care what anybody says, travelling in Y can be fun and you can also collect a lot of miles if you're in the right fares. In some ways, it's much better value than the 'premium' tickets.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
I don't care what anybody says, travelling in Y can be fun and you can also collect a lot of miles if you're in the right fares. In some ways, it's much better value than the 'premium' tickets.
Fun? In what way? Uncomfortable seat that doesn’t go flat? Play with plastic food with plastic cutlery, and enjoy conversing with total strangers using your armrest? Sorry, not my scene.

Collect 25% instead of 100% Avios? wow ... great
Not quite seeing the value there, personally.

However, I acknowledge we’re lucky to be able to fly J all the time.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Fun? In what way? Uncomfortable seat that doesn’t go flat? Play with plastic food with plastic cutlery, and enjoy conversing with total strangers using your armrest? Sorry, not my scene.

Fun in the sense that there's much more going on around you to see and keep you amused. The business cabin is more comfortable, but it's like being in a little cocoon, for me it's a little boring.

It's true that you do collect less Avios in Y, but if you've managed to snag a decent price, you certainly get far more Avios per £ than some of the premium fares. My last BA longhaul cost me £325 and accrued 18,462 Avios (+110 TPs) - which isn't bad!!! It's also far better use of BAEC because on that trip I got to use lounges 4 times, which if I'd been travelling in J, I'd have access with the ticket anyway.

Next week I'm off to DXB with a ticket that consists of 4 flights, which set me back the tiny sum of £163! I know BA's Y catering isn't brilliant, but along with lounge access I'll be recouping at least £60 of that cost in food and drinks....oh, and not to mention the Avios I'll be getting too.

As PETER01 says, when you travel in economy you get to see more places for your £s.

Travelling in Y is grrrrrrrrrrrreat!
PETER01 and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:13 am

Aaah but T8191, such trips are not always about monetary value. I spent a week in Miami/Florida with my son which was just fantastic. I can't put a price on that in any way at all and to me it was priceless. The memories will be there for a long time to come in all that we did and having quality time and a good laugh along the way.The Avios bonus doesn't come into play at all.

Sure, I'd rather always be in J but as we were a 2 on the A380 UD in an exit row that was just fine in the big picture of things and back on topic the catering was quite good for Y.

Fun in the sense that there's much more going on around you to see and keep you amused. The business cabin is more comfortable, but it's like being in a little cocoon, for me it's a little boring.

It's true that you do collect less Avios in Y, but if you've managed to snag a decent price, you certainly get far more Avios per £ than some of the premium fares. My last BA longhaul cost me £325 and accrued 18,462 Avios (+110 TPs) - which isn't bad!!! It's also far better use of BAEC because on that trip I got to use lounges 4 times, which if I'd been travelling in J, I'd have access with the ticket.

Next week I'm off to DXB with a ticket that consists of 4 flights, which set me back the tiny sum of £163! I know BA's Y catering isn't brilliant, but along with lounge access I'll be recouping at least £60 of that cost in food and drinks....oh, and not to mention the Avios I'll be getting too.

I totally agree and in full with your comments there headingwest and looks like we are singing from the same page. I had an ex-UK 2 weeks ago MIA return flight with a domestic connection for just over £400 each and the A380 both ways in exit seats. I'm actually planning a few more Y trips/short breaks and it is no bother at all as with lounge access it makes a big difference beforehand and afterwards too before connecting regionally heading home.
T8191, Tobias-UK and headingwest like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
I had an ex-UK 2 weeks ago MIA return flight with a domestic connection for just over £400 each and the A380 both ways in exit seats. I'm actually planning a few more Y trips/short breaks and it is no bother at all as with lounge access it makes a big difference beforehand and afterwards too before connecting regionally heading home.
The free exit row seats also makes Y much more comfortable, and gives much more value to BAEC status too.

Anyway, the catering seems to have returned to a decent level, so I have no complaints whatsoever about my ticket. Will post photos of all the meals here when I return for T8191 to drool over
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by headingwest; Feb 18, 2018 at 11:29 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:29 am

The free exit row seats also makes Y much more comfortable, and gives much more value to BAEC status too.

Anyway, the catering seems to returned to a decent level, so I have no complaints whatsoever about my ticket. Will post photos of all the meals here when I return for T8191 to drool over
This! Look forward to your photos ^ and I had the same main as in post 57.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please be assured I don't denigrate Y pax in any way, shape or form. We just prefer J, for a raft of well-discussed reasons [including my back!].

As PETER01 says, when you travel in economy you get to see more places for your £s.
True. I would worry about the hotel/F&B element damaging the domestic P&L, though. Four/five holiday trips a year seems a comfortable balance, financially, and there are things we need to do at home in the intervals. Anyone know a reliable builder, for example?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more

It's true that you do collect less Avios in Y, but if you've managed to snag a decent price, you certainly get far more Avios per £ than some of the premium fares. My last BA longhaul cost me £325 and accrued 18,462 Avios (+110 TPs) - which isn't bad!!! It's also far better use of BAEC because on that trip I got to use lounges 4 times, which if I'd been travelling in J, I'd have access with the ticket anyway.

I would agree with you, and certainly from what I read here I would say a lot of people are having a much better time in Y than many here are up front!

People in Y often ARE having fun because they're excited, they're going on holiday, they're with their friends and family, not cocooned from human interaction. They're on a machine that can fly for gods sake. I've also met some very nice strangers traveling Y, I even dated a Colombian I met in Y for 6 months which I would say is a better benefit than anything any airlines gives you in F And personally, I'd far rather have more holidays a year than sit in a nicer seat for a few hours.

I kind of feel sorry for anyone who thinks its impossible to enjoy Y because the cutlery is plastic. Of course, I also don't care about Avios.
headingwest likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

Please be assured I don't denigrate Y pax in any way, shape or form. We just prefer J, for a raft of well-discussed reasons [including my back!].

True. I would worry about the hotel/F&B element damaging the domestic P&L, though. Four/five holiday trips a year seems a comfortable balance, financially, and there are things we need to do at home in the intervals. Anyone know a reliable builder, for example?
Oh I know you don't and if you can do J then great and as you say the back probably isn't what it used to be now your in your 60's (70's is now 60's )

I believe this thread is for Y food and don't you have the Yellow Pages in Jersey?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, seems we have quite a number of threads at the moment where (the same group of) posters are indulging in off-piste excursions.

Please pause and consider the thread topic, and whether other people would really want to read whatever off-topic nonsense your're writing before hitting submit.

/the mod team
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume I’m one of the culprits?

Apologies for ‘nonsense’, although politer terminology might have been more appropriate from a ‘Moderator’.

Logging out.

Uncle T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.