Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia/BA nightmare

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA6501
I would have just said 'leave the booking as it is and don't action a refund' or something along those lines. Anyway - please do report back!
Agreed. Unfortunately, now, the op will be considered to have accepted the cancellation and full refund as a 'fair' resolution. I'm not a big fan of legal action but this is a case where I feel it would have been justified. BAEC's handling was wholly unacceptable.
Calchas likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
I would have just said 'leave the booking as it is and don't action a refund' or something along those lines. Anyway - please do report back!
absolutely, but then what?
it is inexcusable that this happens between BA and IB, the two major airlines of IAG.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Follow-up: only option offered by Executive Club was cancellation of ticket with full refund of Avios/taxes/fees. This was notified less than 4 days prior to originally ticketed departure flight despite previous assurances from BA over each of the last 4 days that they would find a solution. Was told to follow-up with Customer Relations regarding further compensation/EC261. Can’t wait to hear what their response will be a month from now.
It is not clear if you have accepted that offer or not, but if you did, then I'd point out to BA that BA had to inform you of your rights and that you, as a result of BA not doing this, made the wrong choice and that you request compensation for whatever extra costs this lack of information from BA caused you. I'd also show up for check in at the airport so that you can document to BA that you were there.

I'm not sure what you should do next. Potential options are to rebook yourself on whatever flights you can book at the airport after Iberia denies boarding and then demand that BA repays you, or requesting that BA pays whatever it costs to postpone your holiday until BA has fixed your booking (i.e. requesting that BA covers extra hotel expenses and any lost salary from your employer). I'm not sure if a court would accept both options.

Regulation 261/2004 is a problem because only IB is liable under that regulation, but BA is the one who messed up.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
absolutely, but then what?
it is inexcusable that this happens between BA and IB, the two major airlines of IAG.
Inexcusable, definitely. But doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Then, I would seek redress via BA CR (or legal action, more likely). If nothing came out of that then they would eventually have to refund the payments made.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
As anticipated by everyone, BA Customer Relations has punted the compensation request and advised me to contact Iberia. In fact, they actually claimed Iberia is responsible since they refused to reinstate the flights. Also, still haven't received my taxes/Avios refunded after waiting 12 days, but CR now says they will "expedite" the refund.

BA really could not of handled any aspect of this situation any worse than they already have.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
BA Customer Relations continues to shirk all responsibility. Avios have still not been refunded after four weeks (have been assured weekly the refund is being "expedited" and is "in process") and request for compensation has been denied by both BA (who's clearly at fault here) and Iberia (who refers me to contact BA since the ticket was cancelled by BA). Legal action now seems to be the only option. Does anyone here have any further suggestions? Thanks.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:15 am

I bought BA flights in May to NYC on Iberia. I got my actual BA reference and put it into Manage my Booking. I returned last week and there is no sign of my avios. I have put a claim in but nothing has actually happened. I didnt even get an acknowledgement email that i had requested this. I am so annoyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.