Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia/BA nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Yes. I sent a text to my dad saying to check in online yesterday, he replied saying 'oh yes I will. Got the email' it transpires he couldn't choose a seat online, but was told to phone BA when attempting to do so, so he did, and the agent allocated him seats and said nothing about any problem. Indeed, the checkin agent confirmed today the seats were blocked, and their requests for special meals confirmed.

Not being able to check in online would have panicked me. I think he assumed that since nothing was said to him last night, all was fine (and I don't judge that as an unreasonable viewpoint for the infrequent traveller)

As I say, had I not been in the air, I'd have told them to maybe accept defeat, go home and phone iberia and make a decision from there on how to proceed. I think it got to the point where he felt he had no choice but to pay - completely agree CWS - I'd not have booked a return either, and I wish they'd waited to speak with me before doing this, but what is done is done.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I may have missed something but hasn't anyone checked whether their credit card was debited? I would presume that they check their card statements each month.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by morges1
I may have missed something but hasn't anyone checked whether their credit card was debited? I would presume that they check their card statements each month.
Exactly. Go from there.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
And I will get that checked when they are in the UK and report back here.

If, however,you are told online the payment has gone through, you get a confirmation code and email, and no red flags are seemingly raised, I don't think it can be claimed Iberia is entirely faultless, least not if they made no efforts to make contact/cancel the reservation.

I am very confused as to why the agent at BA seemingly didn't see any problems yesterday when allocating seats. But I don't know how it all works.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
This is indeed a key piece of information. It was mentioned up thread and the OP said he didn't know.
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by jackr27
Yes. I sent a text to my dad saying to check in online yesterday, he replied saying 'oh yes I will. Got the email' it transpires he couldn't choose a seat online, but was told to phone BA when attempting to do so, so he did, and the agent allocated him seats and said nothing about any problem. Indeed, the checkin agent confirmed today the seats were blocked, and their requests for special meals confirmed.

Not being able to check in online would have panicked me. I think he assumed that since nothing was said to him last night, all was fine (and I don't judge that as an unreasonable viewpoint for the infrequent traveller)

As I say, had I not been in the air, I'd have told them to maybe accept defeat, go home and phone iberia and make a decision from there on how to proceed. I think it got to the point where he felt he had no choice but to pay - completely agree CWS - I'd not have booked a return either, and I wish they'd waited to speak with me before doing this, but what is done is done.
Again, are you able to answer my questions? They are vital if you wish to have a useful response. Everyone is guessing here at the moment as there is no detail:

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... What was the 'payment issue' you refer to? Did they actually pay for the original ticket?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Again, are you able to answer my questions? They are vital if you wish to have a useful response. Everyone is guessing here at the moment as there is no detail:
The OP replied he did not know. See here (first sentence in this post).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26414707-post20.html
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Exactly. Go from there.
^ another vote, the CC company could be a useful ally here, but indeed we need to know if payment was made.

Some more good advice above too. I feel heartily empathetic to the situation, jackr27, as infrequent fliers truly nothing they could have been expected to do to avoid it IMHO. Another example of how the information gleaned by FTers and shared by the super-regulars can be extraordinarily valuable.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:12 am

I don't think people balance their chequebooks any more, and most of the people who look at the card statement look for transactions they don't recognise, not ones they'd expect but are missing.

It's a bit like asking someone leaving a supermarket if they've checked the receipt handed to them to make sure they've paid for every item in their trolley.
Macspreader likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can only redirect you to my post 17. This happens fairly often and people just assume booking reference = tickted.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 710 77345
I don't think people balance their chequebooks any more, and most of the people who look at the card statement look for transactions they don't recognise, not ones they'd expect but are missing.

It's a bit like asking someone leaving a supermarket if they've checked the receipt handed to them to make sure they've paid for every item in their trolley.
I have several pages of card debits each month and ensure they are checked. It doesn't sound as though the OP's parents would have many and I'm sure they would have been surprised if a missing large payment would not have been noticed.

Anyway, whatever, they must know the month they made the reservation so they should call the card company NOW. The number should be on the back of the card!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I can only redirect you to my post 17. This happens fairly often and people just assume booking reference = tickted.
If this happens fairly often (which I hope isn't true) wouldn't it be about time that the owner of the process starts implementing some improvements?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I note that more often than not flights that I pay for do not appear on my CC statement for 4-6 weeks.
I can imagine that it could easily be overlooked if the charge is not in the statement immediately following the transaction. I missed a 'non charge' for seat allocation when I was blue, found out at a later date when there was an aircraft change an I tried to move to more desirable seats.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:33 am

I have several pages of card debits each month and ensure they are checked. It doesn't sound as though the OP's parents would have many and I'm sure they would have been surprised if a missing large payment would not have been noticed.
I don't do this, but maybe I should start - how do you go about creating a list to compare against?

What makes you think OP's parents wouldn't have many transactions?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I never check until there is a problem.... Bad, I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.