FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold Guest List beginner's guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1739436-gold-guest-list-beginners-guide.html)

mikebg Feb 25, 2016 7:49 am

I should be turning GGL in April. It is likely that I will reach 6000 TPs by about September. My Membership year ends in October. I know the two Jokers I get in April will expire in October with my new membership year, but when will the additional one (earned at 6000 TPs) expire?

KARFA Feb 25, 2016 7:55 am

The 6000 TP joker expires 12 months after you earn it. Noted in post 1:

Additional GUF1 and GGL redemption/jokers are valid for 12 months from their issue date, and are not connected to the membership year like the GGL/redemption earned at 5,000 TP.

mikebg Feb 25, 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26241694)
The 6000 TP joker expires 12 months after you earn it. Noted in post 1:

Oops. I thought I had read it thoroughly! Thanks anyway though.

Wozza2404 Feb 26, 2016 2:41 am

Originally Posted by mikebg (Post 26241667)
I should be turning GGL in April. It is likely that I will reach 6000 TPs by about September. My Membership year ends in October. I know the two Jokers I get in April will expire in October with my new membership year, but when will the additional one (earned at 6000 TPs) expire?

Officially the 2 Jokers you earn when you become GGL expire NEXT October. If you use your Jokers between April and October this year, you don't get new ones as that's technically part of your "current" membership year.

There are, however, reports of people finding that not to be the case.

flying_pig Feb 26, 2016 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 26246168)
If you use your Jokers between April and October this year, you don't get new ones as that's technically part of your "current" membership year.

Uhm... This is exactly the opposite of what was reported when I asked this same question some time ago on this same thread:

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey (Post 26037292)
You'll get two on qualification and two when you roll over to the new membership year. However, if you haven't used the first two by the end of your membership year, they will expire.

and also:

Originally Posted by Banana4321 (Post 26036696)
That is correct. However please note that if you do not use your initial 2 by 8th April then they are lost to you.

I will report my experience once the membership year ends. But I suppose an email to the GGL team could get this clarified too.

ThatT1Feeling Feb 26, 2016 3:33 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig (Post 26246273)
Uhm... This is exactly the opposite of what was reported when I asked this same question some time ago on this same thread:

and also:

I will report my experience once the membership year ends. But I suppose an email to the GGL team could get this clarified too.

My first two jokers were not renewed in my first "full" year of GGL - but the 6000 TP one lasted for 12 months from being earned so I did have one to use during much of my first full year. Clearly, being so excited, I used the first two very quickly indeed :D

Wozza2404 Feb 26, 2016 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 26246281)
My first two jokers were not renewed in my first "full" year of GGL - but the 6000 TP one lasted for 12 months from being earned so I did have one to use during much of my first full year. Clearly, being so excited, I used the first two very quickly indeed :D

This is what the GGL line told me would happen. Same as the partner cards; if you use them in the months leading up to your 'official' GGL start date on your TP reset date, you don't get new ones. Same thing for the Jokers.

dylanks Mar 2, 2016 9:44 am

One interesting thing to note with partner's card nominations that I'll add to the guide... the nominee must be at least 18 years old. One thing I had been hoping to do was nominate one of my kids for silver so if my wife and 3 kids ever travel without me, they could all have lounge access even when flying in ET. It's unlikely to happen, but still worth noting. :)

ThatT1Feeling Mar 2, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 26272380)
One interesting thing to note with partner's card nominations that I'll add to the guide... the nominee must be at least 18 years old. One thing I had been hoping to do was nominate one of my kids for silver so if my wife and 3 kids ever travel without me, they could all have lounge access even when flying in ET. It's unlikely to happen, but still worth noting. :)

The nominees must be over 18 for you to nominate on ba.com. It's perfectly possible to get one of your kids nominated but you have to call the GGL line. Currently Mrs TT1F has a Gold partner card and my kids (aged 10 & 12) have silvers. If you manage the timing correctly, with 2 silver partner cards per year and up to 23 months' validity for each silver partner card, you could ensure that all 3 kids have silver cards at any given time, as long as you maintain GGL :)

dylanks Mar 2, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 26272497)
The nominees must be over 18 for you to nominate on ba.com. It's perfectly possible to get one of your kids nominated but you have to call the GGL line. Currently Mrs TT1F has a Gold partner card and my kids (aged 10 & 12) have silvers. If you manage the timing correctly, with 2 silver partner cards per year and up to 23 months' validity for each silver partner card, you could ensure that all 3 kids have silver cards at any given time, as long as you maintain GGL :)

Thanks for the clarification! Guide updated.

Woodbinerich Mar 2, 2016 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 26246351)
This is what the GGL line told me would happen. Same as the partner cards; if you use them in the months leading up to your 'official' GGL start date on your TP reset date, you don't get new ones. Same thing for the Jokers.

I just qualified a few weeks ago, with the TP reset happening on 8 March (i.e. next week). I used the two jokers partly based on this thread and also talking with the GGL line who said there would be two more in the first full year. I am interested to see how it turns out and will report back.

47Chits Mar 3, 2016 9:11 am

Only received one joker?

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 26273455)
I just qualified a few weeks ago, with the TP reset happening on 8 March (i.e. next week). I used the two jokers partly based on this thread and also talking with the GGL line who said there would be two more in the first full year. I am interested to see how it turns out and will report back.

My OH and I just qualified for the GGL/CCR. It took about a week for the points to finally post, which made for an agonizing week. ;)

OH tier year expires March 8, similar to the quote above, but when we called in/look on the web page, we only have one "joker"? Had plans to use the two right away to purge our avios. Hoping this is an explanable error? Is there an "official BA GGL" page where it states we should receive two?

Thanks for any help!

golfmad Mar 3, 2016 9:14 am

How are you seeing the joker(s) on the website?

Originally Posted by 47Chits (Post 26278002)
My OH and I just qualified for the GGL/CCR. It took about a week for the points to finally post, which made for an agonizing week. ;)

OH tier year expires March 8, similar to the quote above, but when we called in/look on the web page, we only have one "joker"? Had plans to use the two right away to purge our avios. Hoping this is an explanable error? Is there an "official BA GGL" page where it states we should receive two?

Thanks for any help!

Tobias-UK Mar 3, 2016 9:21 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 26278026)
How are you seeing the joker(s) on the website?

I think it might be the 'Gold Guest List Redemption (1)' that appears under benefits earned that is causing him the confusion.

golfmad Mar 3, 2016 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26278060)
I think it might be the 'Gold Guest List Redemption (1)' that appears under benefits earned that is causing him the confusion.

That would make sense.