FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold Guest List beginner's guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1739436-gold-guest-list-beginners-guide.html)

morges1 Feb 3, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26127259)
I'm cheating slightly, as I travel regularly with QR (which offers me double points).

Of my 11,000 TPs, circa 6,000 this year will be with QR, but I am doing an two F return trips a month so may even end up with more than 11,000 TPs...and a very very very unhappy wife!

My travels ended one marriage but happily since 1995 Mme Morges2 has been extremely understanding! The only problem is that she has just retired and we are eating through the reserve avios!

Nekamah7 Feb 4, 2016 12:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 26128263)
Yes, you can use your joker for other people, and for the same Avios requirement as normal bookings. Not many GGLs are in household accounts apparently, but the usual rules apply there. GGL cardholders can still use the Gold Priority Reward if they don't want to deploy a joker, and that's the usual double amount plus one month advance notice.

Even w/o a Household account, an Avios member can book a 3rd party ticket. So the account holder could book co-workers, for example, even without his flying on the flight.

morges1 Feb 4, 2016 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26125255)
As I understand it, and I'm not quite there yet, with LTGGL you do have CCR access for life.

So as a follow up question - if 5,000TP normally gets a CCR card, do LTGGLs get an alternative award at 5,000?

Tobias-UK Feb 4, 2016 3:38 am

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 26131143)
So as a follow up question - if 5,000TP normally gets a CCR card, do LTGGLs get an alternative award at 5,000?

Nowt! You have to wait for 6000, 7000, 8000 and 9000 TPs for your next sweetener.

I still look miserably at my account as I see the perks disappear after I've passed 9000 TPs. At least now the rest count to LTGGL ... not long to go now :)

msm2000uk Feb 4, 2016 4:01 am

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 26128300)
My travels ended one marriage but happily since 1995 Mme Morges2 has been extremely understanding! The only problem is that she has just retired and we are eating through the reserve avios!

My other half, like your Version 2, is understanding.

It's tough, and certainly not as fun/glamourous as some seem to think, but it allows for a comfortable lifestyle (in my line of work at least).

I should hit LTG by 2018 at the latest - LTGGL looks like a 7-9 year project, and that's assuming BA don't cut it!

Wozza2404 Feb 4, 2016 4:14 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26131217)
My other half, like your Version 2, is understanding.

It's tough, and certainly not as fun/glamourous as some seem to think, but it allows for a comfortable lifestyle (in my line of work at least).

I should hit LTG by 2018 at the latest - LTGGL looks like a 7-9 year project, and that's assuming BA don't cut it!

See I only really started flying BA in 2012, and even then 2014 was the first year I moved the majority of my flights to One World, at the expense of EY. So basically LTGGL is 18 years of this kind of flying, and I'm in no hurry to chase that as in 18 years BAEC will likely look very, very different.

LTG is achievable in the next 4-5 years, but even then I'm not falling over myself to chase that perk, as it could easily be devalued by the time I get there.

As for the travel, I'm really glad I started this line of work before my kids were born. I can't imagine them coping well with a parent travelling as much as I do if they hadn't grown up with it from day 1.

dylanks Feb 4, 2016 5:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26100022)
They do indeed come separately.

EDIT: on reading the guide I can see why it may be unclear

You receive one pack with your GGL card & tags, and a separate letter which includes your CCR card.

Guide has been updated, thanks!

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26125255)
As I understand it, and I'm not quite there yet, with LTGGL you do have CCR access for life.

I've added a short LTGGL section at the end of the guide. I am unlikely to ever reach this level of flying, so if anyone has other details to add, please let me know.

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 26131143)

I've added a point to the new LTGGL section that there is no alternative reward at 5,000 TP.

chris1979 Feb 4, 2016 7:02 am

I've had some experience with this but can I just check others' please.

looking to change a booking that was made by someone else (lower colour) for me - that should be free of charge, right?

any experiences on cancellation?

Tobias-UK Feb 4, 2016 7:13 am

Originally Posted by chris1979 (Post 26131705)

looking to change a booking that was made by someone else (lower colour) for me - that should be free of charge, right?

Do you mean an Avios redemption?

VSLover Feb 4, 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26131748)

not to tag on to his question but i do have the same question: i am GCH (stones thrwo from GGL and may be when this happens) but i need to book an avios redemption for my partner. i was advised by BA the cancellation would not be an issue--but in the event it needs to be changed, same question applies.

not sure if it helps that he is silver since i am the one who paid and used my account/avios.

BA6501 Feb 4, 2016 8:08 am

The person who made the booking has to be GGL for free cancellation/changes. Regardless of the passenger, or passenger's status.

TabTraveller Feb 4, 2016 8:24 am

Well from the other direction it is free when a GL member makes a booking for a non-GL member so my understanding is that the free changes flow from the status of the person making the booking, not from that of the passenger.

chris1979 Feb 4, 2016 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26131748)

yes.

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 26131996)
The person who made the booking has to be GGL for free cancellation/changes. Regardless of the passenger, or passenger's status.

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 26132069)
Well from the other direction it is free when a GL member makes a booking for a non-GL member so my understanding is that the free changes flow from the status of the person making the booking, not from that of the passenger.

not sure that's right. whether official or not, I've been able to change a booking in the past that was for me (but not 'paid for' by me but by a blue / bronze). I also think it makes more sense that the travelling pax status is relevant as otherwise it would be a case of e.g. a blue having unlimited changes just because i booked the ticket for them.

Tobias-UK Feb 4, 2016 9:14 am

In that case chris1979 no problem. I've changed Avios bookings that others have booked for me and no charge was incurred. It is your GGL status that makes the difference if you are making the changes, either as a traveller or as the person making the reservation for another.

As for cancellation, not sure. If you do it via GGL Team as it is a redemption they will probably waive the fee.

chris1979 Feb 4, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26132325)
In that case chris1979 no problem. I've changed Avios bookings that others have booked for me and no charge was incurred. It is your GGL status that makes the difference if you are making the changes, either as a traveller or as the person making the reservation for another.

As for cancellation, not sure. If you do it via GGL Team as it is a redemption they will probably waive the fee.

great - thanks. that's been my experience but just wanted to check that it's not been a fluke.

will probably just change the time rather than cancel. reason for needing to do so is actually a meeting I now have a Waterside that i am very excited about (like very!). I'll try to share details afterwards if I can. and my new arrival time at my destination is then going to be so late that I might get a hire car rather than expect to be picked up in which case a 'flight and car' almost makes more sense than an RFS and car......

Happy Thursday.