FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold Guest List beginner's guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1739436-gold-guest-list-beginners-guide.html)

flying_pig Jan 18, 2016 7:10 am

Nice guide, thank you dylanks!

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I found conflicting information on the topic: upon qualification, do we get 2 jokers until the next GGL renewal date, or 2 + another 2 once the new membership year starts?

In my specific case, I am Gold and will shortly hit 5k TPs. My membership year ends in April. So, do I get 2 jokers to be used from now till April, and then another 2 for the next year?

Banana4321 Jan 18, 2016 7:12 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig (Post 26036686)
In my specific case, I am Gold and will shortly hit 5k TPs. My membership year ends in April. So, do I get 2 jokers to be used from now till April, and then another 2 for the next year?

That is correct. However please note that if you do not use your initial 2 by 8th April then they are lost to you.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 18, 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 26036548)
When you hit 10,000, 15,000 TPs etc a new CCR Card is automatically issued - or more accurately re-issued, it's a bug in the system. It is not an additional card! I'd not mention this in your OP as it is likely to cause confusion and there are relatively few of us who exceed the 9999 annual TP mark.

Correct on all points. And just to change this:

Premier members

BAEC Premier members, an invite-only status typically reserved for the senior decision makers at companies and government bodies with substantial spend with BA, can earn the other perks such as GUF and the additional rewards at 7 to 9k TPs. These are earned when a member earns the same number of tier points required for non-Premier members. They remain Premier cardholders with Concorde Room and BA lounge access in all circumstances ("open doors") with 2 guests. Premier cards can be withdrawn at anytime, it's not a lifetime invitation, at which point the cardholder typically drops to Gold or GGL level, depending on recent TP history.

megaloman Jan 18, 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 26027443)
Transferring Avios

In addition to the partner cards, you can also help your friends and family , even those that do not reside at your address, through the transfer of Avios. For non-GGL, you are generally limited to sharing Avios via a household account.

There are two ways you can transfer up 324,000 Avios per calendar year:
  • Free for the first 162,000 Avios transferred (combined total for all transferred within a calendar year) TODO: Not connected to your renewal year?
  • You can pay to transfer up to 162,000 additional Avios

Is this correct? I am just Gold and as far as I remember I also can transfer 162k Avios for free, then another 162k for a fee.

Banana4321 Jan 18, 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 26036974)
Correct on all points. And just to change this:

Premier members

BAEC Premier members, an invite-only status typically reserved for the senior decision makers at companies and government bodies with substantial spend with BA, can earn the other perks such as GUF and the additional rewards at 7 to 9k TPs. These are earned when a member earns the same number of tier points required for non-Premier members. They remain Premier cardholders with Concorde Room and BA lounge access in all circumstances ("open doors") with 2 guests. Premier cards can be withdrawn at anytime, it's not a lifetime invitation, at which point the cardholder typically drops to Gold or GGL level, depending on recent TP history.

Reading elsewhere I understood it to be

"BAEC Premier members, an invite-only status typically reserved for the senior decision makers at companies and government bodies with substantial spend with BA, and national treasures"

martyndavid Jan 18, 2016 8:50 am

Although i've been GGL for a few years now it's really helpful to see this informationin one place. Many thanks.

Filthy Monkey Jan 18, 2016 9:12 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig (Post 26036686)
Nice guide, thank you dylanks!

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I found conflicting information on the topic: upon qualification, do we get 2 jokers until the next GGL renewal date, or 2 + another 2 once the new membership year starts?

You'll get two on qualification and two when you roll over to the new membership year. However, if you haven't used the first two by the end of your membership year, they will expire.

flying_pig Jan 18, 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Banana4321 (Post 26036696)
That is correct. However please note that if you do not use your initial 2 by 8th April then they are lost to you.

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey (Post 26037292)
You'll get two on qualification and two when you roll over to the new membership year. However, if you haven't used the first two by the end of your membership year, they will expire.

Thank you both for the quick and helpful reply! Great to hear this.

TravellerFrequently Jan 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Well done and thanks dylanks.

I have been GGL for two years so am reasonable familiar with the scheme but the thread will certainly be useful to remind me and make me aware of any changes.

With my year ending soon, it has prompted me to plan a trip to use my joker before it expires!

^

dylanks Jan 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Added more details about Premiers, and a note about when you get jokers the first time (and how your two jokers expire at the end of one year and then you get new ones at the start of your new membership year)

wenzlydale Jan 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Jokers - one shot or not ?

I note the limit of 5 'joker' seats per cabin, but is this one shot thing or not ? i.e. If I only had enough Avios even with GUF and 2-4-1 to book 4 seats, providing no-one else had subsequently booked a 'joker' seat, could I go back later when Avios balance refreshed to book the 5th seat ?

golfmad Jan 20, 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 26027443)
GUFs

GGL earn extra GUFs based on tier points. 2 GUF1 are earned at 3,500 TP. At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 TP, you can choose one of the following:
  • 2 GUF1
  • Another GGL redemption (joker)
  • 50,000 avios

I think you've missed out 6,000 from this list.

Also, being a little pedantic, not all GUF1s earned at 3,500 TPs are earned by people with GGL status.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 26051057)
I think you've missed out 6,000 from this list.

Also, being a little pedantic, not all GUF1s earned at 3,500 TPs are earned by people with GGL status.

The 6k one being an extra Joker (GGL Redemption), whereas 7 to 9k get the extra options.

dylanks Jan 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 26051098)
The 6k one being an extra Joker (GGL Redemption), whereas 7 to 9k get the extra options.

Ok, I will update this, as it somehow was lost in my edits. What is the expiration date on these? So if you were to earn the extra joker on 1 January 2016, and your membership year ended on 8 April 2016, when does the extra joker expire?

Tobias-UK Jan 21, 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 26053180)
Ok, I will update this, as it somehow was lost in my edits. What is the expiration date on these? So if you were to earn the extra joker on 1 January 2016, and your membership year ended on 8 April 2016, when does the extra joker expire?

The 6000 TP Joker remains valid for 12 months from the date of issue (same for those earned at 7,000 to 9,000 if that option is chosen). These are not linked to your membership year.