Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AdBoy
Was told just now that there is new guidance on space releases and that they cannot be booked for other people alone. The GGL member has to be travelling as part of the booking.
I did one only last week for some friends - I am not on the booking. However, looking at the GGL terms it has been updated as of 3 August 2017 and that now seems to be the case?

Gold Guest List Redemption Reward means one guaranteed redemption booking for a Member and up to 4 passengers travelling on the same booking, subject to availability;
4.1. A Member shall be eligible for two Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards per Tier Point Collection Year starting on the date that the Member received an invitation to the Gold Guest List and was able to receive the Services. This does not affect Members ability to spend Avios in the usual way under the Executive Club membership Terms and Conditions.

4.3. All passengers must travel on the same booking as the Member.
Also had a look for other changes and I think this may be one? I understood at 7k/8k/9k you got the choice of another joker or 50k avios or 2xGUF1, now it seems the 2xGUF1 option is 1xGUF2? Or did it always state 1xGUF2 but in practice they allowed you to get2xGUF1?:

6.1. A Member shall become eligible to choose one of the following benefits on the date that the Member reaches 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 Tier Points:

- One additional Gold Guest List Redemption Reward which will be valid for a period of 12 months from date of issue. Please see clause 5 for Gold Guest List Redemption Reward terms & conditions.
- One additional “Gold Upgrade for Two” voucher which will be valid for a period of 12 months from date of issue. Please see Executive Club Conditions of Use for “Gold Upgrade for Two” Terms & Conditions.
- 50,000 Avios which will be added to the Members total Avios balance. Please refer to clause 14.3 of the Executive Club Terms and Conditions for information on Avios points expiry.
Can't spot anything else.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Is this new too:

Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers can be used for up to two travellers on the same reservation, or a single traveller, but cannot be divided and when used, cannot be used again. Existing Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers awarded to Members' accounts also cannot be divided.

In the past, I've definitely split them after they've been issued.

Last edited by AdBoy; Nov 27, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Was told just now that there is new guidance on space releases and that they cannot be booked for other people alone. The GGL member has to be travelling as part of the booking.
This is an unfortunate change (assuming it's true). It's often convenient to book my wife on a GGL redemption to accompany me on a booking that's a paid business trip. It seems odd that the benefit would not at least be ok for any Household Account members.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
This is an unfortunate change (assuming it's true). It's often convenient to book my wife on a GGL redemption to accompany me on a booking that's a paid business trip. It seems odd that the benefit would not at least be ok for any Household Account members.
Hung up and tried again... and was told it was absolutely possible still. The old adage of 'if at first you don't succeed...' holds true!

Last edited by AdBoy; Nov 27, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Hung up and tried again... and was told it was absolutely possible still. The old adage of 'if at first you don't succeed...' holds true!
Well, that's a relief AdBoy! There are times where I'm tempted to email the GGL team for clarification, and then I decide it's better to just ask when needed.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:32 am

Well, that's a relief AdBoy! There are times where I'm tempted to email the GGL team for clarification, and then I decide it's better to just ask when needed.
Yep. Thank goodness!

My frustration lies with the inconsistency.

The first agent specifically checked through what they called ‘new guidance’ but clearly misread it or wrongly interpreted it.

The second phoned though to a manager who waved the request the through.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Hi - I've just been on the phone to the GGL line, trying to book 4 seats in F. No jokers had been used in F class, and at the start of the conversation there were 4 seats available in A class. During the booking, someone else must have booked a revenue ticket and the number of A class seats available dropped to 3. I was told I had no options and booking was no longer possible. In the guidance above, the bold statement suggests that a request could be submitted to the Revenue team to open up space in A class. I spoke to a supervisor and she told me that this is not permitted under any circumstances.

Any thoughts? Is this possible and I have simply been unlucky with the agent I have been speaking to? Or should the guidelines in the post above be updated to reflect the fact that requests to open up availability are simply not entertained?
As I noted above, they have not been able to call rev mgmt to release extra seats since the summer.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL
I had to call in to get the 2 X GUF1 once I crossed 7K, and 8K to get it. I hope it works this year as well.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:09 am
Original Poster

My frustration lies with the inconsistency.
I've learned over the years to embrace and appreciate inconsistency. Whenever something becomes consistent, it usually just means that the policy is more rigid and you consistently end up with less.

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
As I noted above, they have not been able to call rev mgmt to release extra seats since the summer.
Sounds like this coincides with the time when they were discussing outsourcing all call centre staff? I never heard with certainty if they went through with this plan, but in either case, it sounds like they may have built a bigger wall between call centre staff and other teams at BA. Again, assuming this is true. I have yet to not be able to book a GGL redemption for the exact flights I wanted, other than the first time when they did call revenue management (this was back in March of 2016).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Originally Posted by baflyer123
I had to call in to get the 2 X GUF1 once I crossed 7K, and 8K to get it. I hope it works this year as well.
I had to call for the 2 x GUF1 after passing 7K a week and a half ago. The emails don't appear to be going out. I should cross 8k today and the GGL customer service rep advised me to call rather than wait for an email.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:43 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I hope that it's just a hang up call again situation. I use the jokers for the parents to fly to Europe during the peak travel times and would really be unfortunate if I can't book them anymore without me traveling.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
mistake.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Dec 3, 2017 at 8:39 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Evening all. I recently qualified as GGL and my current membership year expires this Friday. I called to make a GGL redemption today and was told that my GGL redemptions for this year would carry over to the next membership year, when new redemptions wouldn't be issued until I passed the 3000 tier point threshold for renewal. This is the opposite of what I understand to be the case from everything I've read here - I expected the GGL redemptions for this year to expire on Friday but 2 more to be issued in the new membership year. Many thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANIKM
Evening all. I recently qualified as GGL and my current membership year expires this Friday. I called to make a GGL redemption today and was told that my GGL redemptions for this year would carry over to the next membership year, when new redemptions wouldn't be issued until I passed the 3000 tier point threshold for renewal. This is the opposite of what I understand to be the case from everything I've read here - I expected the GGL redemptions for this year to expire on Friday but 2 more to be issued in the new membership year. Many thanks in advance for any clarification.
That information is contrary to my initial GGL experience and all other reports. It's possible policy has changed, though it seems more likely that the agent was misinformed.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
For me too, even if to be fair we both qualified months in advance of our year end IIRC, but I really don't see why that would matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.