Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA Champagne & Wine thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Cheers hcuk, thanks, will definitely enjoy the flight!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheMajor
I am travelling alone and will not be annoying anyone, is 1 bottle of wine (or equivalent) acceptable, or is this deemed excessive?

Over 10 hours probably not that much, but don't want to see greedy, thats all.

Leisure trip so want to have a good time.
Nobody will blink an eyelid at this, not a problem at all... have a great trip!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by TheMajor
... is 1 bottle of wine (or equivalent) acceptable, or is this deemed excessive?
Jeepers, my last BA First flight I drank a bottle of champagne before we even boarded. But I am a professional, so maybe they could see that?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by drwilliams
Jeepers, my last BA First flight I drank a bottle of champagne before we even boarded. But I am a professional, so maybe they could see that?
With frequent top-ups, I feel like I drank a bottle of champagne on board pre-takeoff, just this last Monday.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
The LPGS tastes sooooo good, it's hard to stop drinking😉
But yeah, you need to assess your own tolerance, as Tobias-UK points out. Have fun😄👍😄!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by seanp7
With frequent top-ups, I feel like I drank a bottle of champagne on board pre-takeoff, just this last Monday.
Well, if you board early, it would be rude not to accept their offers...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
CW wine offerings?

Just a little observation - this thread is very heavy on F wine in the air and the lounge offerings in GF and CCR. As I doubt I'll ever reach that rarefied level, but do have my first CW (TATL, eastbound) coming up soon, any info on current offerings in that cabin?

TIA
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Galleries First today in T3.

Champagne: Tattinger or Henriot Rose

White: Cantaluna Chardonnay 2015, Domaine lebrun pouilly fume 2014, Shaw and Smith Adelaide Sauv. Blanc 2015
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Just a little observation - this thread is very heavy on F wine in the air and the lounge offerings in GF and CCR. As I doubt I'll ever reach that rarefied level, but do have my first CW (TATL, eastbound) coming up soon, any info on current offerings in that cabin?

TIA
For most of the summer LHR-SEA, it's been:

Champagne

Kir Royale
Buck's Fizz
Champagne Tattinger Brut Reserve NV
Champagne de Castelnau Brut Reserve NV
Champagne de Castelnau Brut Rose

White

Albarino 2015
Terras de Lantano
Rias Baixas, Spain

Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay 2013
California

Red

Montecillo Reserva 2010
Rioja, Spain

Hahn Winery Pinot Noir 2014
California
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
GF T5 today the bubbles were Henriot 2009, Henriot Rose and Castelnau Brut. Henriot 2009 isn't half bad, but it isn't Taittinger.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by OxfordBlue

TIA
Avoid the terrible white wine selections and stick with Tattinger.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Concorde room gripes

Just returned from a 3 day New York trip in F (redemption ticket with companion voucher, upgrade voucher etc.) and as my flight to Newark was delayed 3 hours ended up spending 6 hours in the Concorde Room. I wouldn't quite say I get no kick from champagne, but good red wine is what floats my boat, so after a couple of glasses of the LPGS, when it was clearly far too early for anyone respectable to be drinking red wine, at about 09.30 I decided to move on to red. What a disappointment! The choice was between 2 St Emilion Grand Crus, a Chinon, and a new world (possibly American) pinot noir. Why would they have 2 St Emilions, and why no burgundy I thought to myself.

I opted for one of the St. E.G.C.s, the Clos des Jacobins, took it back to my table, and sipped. Oh dear, the bottle had clearly been opened the previous evening, and had that slight smell and taste of boiled cabbage about it, so I took it back, and asked if a fresh bottle could be opened. Much better. When that was gone I thought I would try the Fleur Cardinale, but this too had been opened the night before and was no longer in its prime. It seems that when a bottle is opened and a glass poured, the cork is immediately returned to the bottle, and the bottle goes back in the cabinet. For many powerful new world wines this is probably OK, but for a claret, burgundy or even new world pinot noir this is a high risk strategy. Why don't they use vacu vins or something similar when they close up in the evening? Or do they just think that anyone drinking red wine in the morning deserves what they get?

Seriously though, who does decide which wines are offered on any given day/week in the Concorde Room? And why is it thought OK to serve a wine that was opened maybe 12-15 hours earlier.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
Just returned from a 3 day New York trip in F (redemption ticket with companion voucher, upgrade voucher etc.) and as my flight to Newark was delayed 3 hours ended up spending 6 hours in the Concorde Room. I wouldn't quite say I get no kick from champagne, but good red wine is what floats my boat, so after a couple of glasses of the LPGS, when it was clearly far too early for anyone respectable to be drinking red wine, at about 09.30 I decided to move on to red. What a disappointment! The choice was between 2 St Emilion Grand Crus, a Chinon, and a new world (possibly American) pinot noir. Why would they have 2 St Emilions, and why no burgundy I thought to myself.

I opted for one of the St. E.G.C.s, the Clos des Jacobins, took it back to my table, and sipped. Oh dear, the bottle had clearly been opened the previous evening, and had that slight smell and taste of boiled cabbage about it, so I took it back, and asked if a fresh bottle could be opened. Much better. When that was gone I thought I would try the Fleur Cardinale, but this too had been opened the night before and was no longer in its prime. It seems that when a bottle is opened and a glass poured, the cork is immediately returned to the bottle, and the bottle goes back in the cabinet. For many powerful new world wines this is probably OK, but for a claret, burgundy or even new world pinot noir this is a high risk strategy. Why don't they use vacu vins or something similar when they close up in the evening? Or do they just think that anyone drinking red wine in the morning deserves what they get?

Seriously though, who does decide which wines are offered on any given day/week in the Concorde Room? And why is it thought OK to serve a wine that was opened maybe 12-15 hours earlier.
I guess the people going in the CCR and seeking a glass of red at a more reasonable hour might think the same about the bottles opened at the crack of dawn for your benefit.

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by bafan

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe

I guess the people going in the CCR and seeking a glass of red at a more reasonable hour might think the same about the bottles opened at the crack of dawn for your benefit.

Beeing a claret fan, I'd like to share the experiences of a 2 day wine tasting seminar. The first evening we were tasting 1st and 2nd Cru Red Bordeaux. The sommelier leading the seminar asked us to leave one sip of every wine to try out the next day. Glasses in room teperature, room locked. 7 of 8 wines were unanimously judged better after a night "in the open" the 8th equivalent/not worse.

Boiled cabbage? IMHO only possible if someone had drunk directly from the bottle, thus contaminating the content with oral bacteriae flora.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by bafan

Fair point, although 0930 is hardly the crack of dawn, so the bottle I asked to be opened would almost certainly not be around 10-12 hours later. By 1030 I was not the only one in CCR drinking red.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.