Search

The 2016 BA Champagne & Wine thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by twincheeks
What about South Africa ?

Returning from CPT a few years ago I was very disappointed to see that no SA wines were offered by BA even in the lounge.
There are almost always South African wines on the South African flights. A few months ago, we were surprised to see Chocolate Block in CW. It was actually a talking point both on our flight out and our flight back, amongst passengers and cabin crew alike.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are almost always South African wines on the South African flights. A few months ago, we were surprised to see Chocolate Block in CW. It was actually a talking point both on our flight out and our flight back, amongst passengers and cabin crew alike.
It is good to note that my suggestion to the CC was noted and acted upon by the people who make the decisions.
I shall look forward to my next trip to South Africa
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by stimpy

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Advance apologies if recently posted here or on another wine thread.

The BA wine list included with the CW menu on BA155 LHR-CAI last night stated - 'As a global airline British Airways prides itself on finding interesting and attractive wines from all corners of the world. We aim to offer a choice of wines that give a balance of styles, grape varieties and countries ...'

So much for 'all corners of the world' and 'balance of ... countries'. Of the five wines on the wine list three (i.e. 60%) were from one country - Spain.

Whatever happened to the likes of Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Italy, USA, etc?
I think your route may have something to do with it. I always see French wines on the JFK or IAD routes. HKG and SIN too. And I'm sure they serve Aussie wines on the SYD route and I know they serve California wines to SFO and LAX.
Still, maybe lucky the destination origin in onboard wine selection wasn't enforced on this LHR-CAI flight?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think your route may have something to do with it. I always see French wines on the JFK or IAD routes. HKG and SIN too. And I'm sure they serve Aussie wines on the SYD route and I know they serve California wines to SFO and LAX.
In what sense does it make Spanish wine more logical for an Egypt flight though? If anything Egypt has a historically large francophone population which might have appreciated the cultural connection!

I agree with Phil the Flyer that 3 Spanish wines out of 5 choices is definitely odd.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by greg5
Indeed, the Rosé is MUCH better than the Castelnau Rosé. The Mrs. liked the Henriot quite a bit, but after a sniff of the Castlenau, turned it away. Of course, I'm comparing an on the ground Henriot in a proper glass to the Castelnau in CW.

BTW, I noticed that the champagnes had changed in F (at least SEA-LHR). There was a vintage Duval-LeRoy, and the Rosé was a Jaquart IIRC.
Ooh, I love both of those. Hopefully they'll still be on at Christmas
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In what sense does it make Spanish wine more logical for an Egypt flight though? If anything Egypt has a historically large francophone population which might have appreciated the cultural connection!
Yes and Spain has a historically large population of Arabs. Some of these choices are obvious and some aren't.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Ooh, I love both of those. Hopefully they'll still be on at Christmas
I tried the Rosé and it was decent enough with the chicken I had for dinner. I tend to stay with the LPGS though, sometimes as a Kir Royale. That feels so bad, but it tastes so good!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes and Spain has a historically large population of Arabs. Some of these choices are obvious and some aren't.
"Not" being the operative word!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
It's been some time since I've been in T5 GF in the evening and pleasantly surprised with the wines. Best of the whites is the 2012 Maison Dampt Valmour, Chablis Grand Cru and the reds is the 2009 Chateau Fonplegade Grand Cru Classe.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In response to a query in the CCR menu thread, this is the current wine offering. However the CCR wine list changes very regularly, so you cannot take this line up for granted. (No technical questions please, this is way outside my field of expertise!).

Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
not wine, but you lot will know

[I'm one who's actually done the whole 'abandoning BA' thing, but flying next week on an avios booking.]

Do they still have takeaway coffee cups in the GC lounges?

thx
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:59 am

I'd love to know the method behind selecting the wines in the CCR and indeed the other T5 lounges.

Is it case (no pun intended) of the staff randomly picking bottles from the cellar each day and taking them through to the lounges. Or is there the equivalent of a sommelier who lists what wines should go where/when and who keeps an eye on things?

Taking cws's photo above of a recent CCR selection, there are 3 French Burgundies out of the 4 whites. Now that shouldn't be anything to complain about, but I'd have thought BA would be keen to provide a bit of diversity and choice especially in their No.1 lounge in the network.

I'm not having a moan - I'd happily plough through all the wines pictured above - but I'm interested to hear whether there is any method to what they put in front of customers.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
I'd love to know the method behind selecting the wines in the CCR and indeed the other T5 lounges.

Is it case (no pun intended) of the staff randomly picking bottles from the cellar each day and taking them through to the lounges. Or is there the equivalent of a sommelier who lists what wines should go where/when and who keeps an eye on things?

Taking cws's photo above of a recent CCR selection, there are 3 French Burgundies out of the 4 whites. Now that shouldn't be anything to complain about, but I'd have thought BA would be keen to provide a bit of diversity and choice especially in their No.1 lounge in the network.

I'm not having a moan - I'd happily plough through all the wines pictured above - but I'm interested to hear whether there is any method to what they put in front of customers.
I love the idea of there being a sommelier somewhere deep in the bowels of T5 handpicking bottles from the cellar for the lounges!

I find this very intriguing too. My sense is that there are different bottles set aside for the CCR, GF and GC, but that's it a total free for all when it comes to selecting within these categories. As you say, it leads to some bizarre choices. It's not uncommon, certainly in GF, to see 3 bottles of the same grape, or even of the same region. Less common in the CCR, where there looks to be a greater degree of oversight.

I've also noticed that the GF wine selection can occasionally be superior to that on offer in the CCR - as it was on Wednesday when GF was offering 3 white burgundies (the usual Premier Cru Chablis, the same Meurseault as was being poured in the CCR, and an outrageously good Chassagne-Montrachet).

That excellent BA wine selection video that was posted on here not so long back suggested that the GF wines were bin end selections from the First cabin. That certainly seems to be the case. Not sure if the CCR supply is sourced otherwise.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Do you think BA lay down some wines? Would they buy a huge supply early and leave them a few years?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Do you think BA lay down some wines? Would they buy a huge supply early and leave them a few years?
BA do indeed have a sommelier of sorts, Andy Sparrow, and they buy and store wines in anticipation of future demand.

Here he is talking about how he chooses which wines go in the lounges. Comments about "bin ends" should probably be read with the usual British irony.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.