Celebs on BA | 2016 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Were you picked up by the MET? I thought they used BMW X5s now. :P
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jamier45
I have been collected from the aircraft inbound from JFK and taken in a Land Rover (very posh) to flight connections.
Was that to save your graces after a two or three bevvies?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
TheBARman (see wot i did there? ) yesterday was saying he sees him a bit at aus and comments from others around are usually on the we love his show for the us camp vs what a (insert expletive here) from brits waiting for the ba flight.... Whatever, typical celeb. Bad enough having to sit and watch that rhonda rousey or whatever blub on tv again and again.
What annoys me more than anything else is that the more unpopular he became, the more shows he was contracted to do

I don't watch them but they're so high profile that you see the occasional ad reminding you he is there
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by goldencondor
How he is suddenly an expert on Arsenal and the England cricket team is beyond me.
He takes the continued ommission if his mate Kevin Peitersen as a personal insult.

The only plus of Arsenal winning the Premiership for me would be to further demonstrate my view that he knows nothing at all about football. Not that he'd ever recongnise that himself.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
He takes the continued ommission if his mate Kevin Peitersen as a personal insult.

The only plus of Arsenal winning the Premiership for me would be to further demonstrate my view that he knows nothing at all about football. Not that he'd ever recongnise that himself.
If Arsenal win the league this year I expect he will be quoted all over the place
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
If Arsenal win the league this year I expect he will be quoted all over the place
No doubt he will despite his long held and frequently proclaimed view that they'd never win anything until Wenger goes.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
No doubt he will despite his long held and frequently proclaimed view that they'd never win anything until Wenger goes.
He'll probably give Arsene some faint praise. How magnanimous of him!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Speaking of football, Andrij Schevchenko, Frank de Boer and Paolo Malidini all in First on their way to Vegas today with some other footballers that will have to remain unidentified by my friend on the flight. Seems to be an AC Milan reunion party seeing as they all played together there.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Corpt
George W Bush on LHR-LBA (in the bmi days around 10 years ago). His secret service detail was seated around him in an otherwise empty first four rows.

It was the only time I've left a LHR gate and been cleared for immediate take off without queuing!
I've met his Secret Service detail on ACK and was under no illusions as to the trouble I would be in if I did anything they didn't like. There wasn't any verbal threats just asked me to stay in my watercraft (a kayak) and not to move towards the shore. I didn't know what was going on until Bush Snr arrived and got into one of the two Suburbans his detail had turned up in.

Interestingly* Clinton was the last US President to get lifetime Secret Service protection. It was changed whilst he was in office** to be for 10 years after the president leaves office. So Bush Jr hasn't got many years left to go with his protection.

*for a given value of interesting.
**and therefore didn't apply to him but to his successors.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by phol
They can technically fly in a civil aircraft which would use the callsign Executive One. It has been many years since it happened though.
That would be Nixon supporting the commercial airlines back in the early 70s. I think it was Nixon who said to the Secret Service that the Lincoln Continentals they used for the Presidential Limo were too expensive and they should buy something else. He got his wish and I think they went with Chrysler vehicles for his term in office. This wasn't a saving though because it would have been cheaper to buy the Lincolns and armour plate them than it was the Chryslers.

Rockefeller when he was VP had his own Gulfstream which he preferred to the military plane they offered for his use. That used the callsign Executive Two.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 18, 2016 at 11:47 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He is not liked in the UK, so many people were pleased when he decamped to the US.

Unfortunately his tweets get a lot of attention in the UK media. How he is suddenly an expert on Arsenal and the England cricket team is beyond me.
He lives about a mile from me, I don't like him living that close and that's about a thousand miles too near for my liking. Who knows though the feeling might be mutual.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've met his Secret Service detail on ACK and was under no illusions as to the trouble I would be in if I did anything they didn't like. There wasn't any verbal threats just asked me to stay in my watercraft (a kayak) and not to move towards the shore. I didn't know what was going on until Bush Snr arrived and got into one of the two Suburbans his detail had turned up in.

Interestingly* Clinton was the last US President to get lifetime Secret Service protection. It was changed whilst he was in office** to be for 10 years after the president leaves office. So Bush Jr hasn't got many years left to go with his protection.

*for a given value of interesting.
**and therefore didn't apply to him but to his successors.
This was changed back to lifetime protection in the Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012, which Obama signed into law in 2013.

H
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoch
This was changed back to lifetime protection in the Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012, which Obama signed into law in 2013.

H
Interesting didn't know that thank you for the heads up I am reading the act with interest now.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoch
I bet George W is pleased about that!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Stephen Fry at C56 awaiting delayed departure of 269 to LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.