Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:03 pm

I am flying BCN-LHR-SJC in June on BA. The BCN-LHR flight is in Y and arrives at T3. The LHR-SJC flight is in F and departs from T5.

I have a 3 hour layover at LHR, and I am keen to check out the First Wing which means going land side. I have a U.S. passport.

Is it better to (1) clear immigration at T3 and take the tube or HEX to T5 or (2) take the air side bus from T3 to T5 and clear immigration at T5?

My luggage will be checked through to SJC so a little extra walking is not a problem. The main issue is which route is likely to be quicker and less of a hassle. I am arriving at LHR at 11:30 AM on a Thursday (if that makes a difference).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would just take the airside route then go straight to the CCR rather than mess about going landside and using the F wing (which whilst nice is not that nice!)
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would just take the airside route then go straight to the CCR rather than mess about going landside and using the F wing (which whilst nice is not that nice!)
Not really my question but thanks anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by majortom421
Not really my question but thanks anyway.
Your option 2 will be the quickest.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by majortom421
I am flying BCN-LHR-SJC in June on BA. The BCN-LHR flight is in Y and arrives at T3. The LHR-SJC flight is in F and departs from T5.

I have a 3 hour layover at LHR, and I am keen to check out the First Wing which means going land side. I have a U.S. passport.

Is it better to (1) clear immigration at T3 and take the tube or HEX to T5 or (2) take the air side bus from T3 to T5 and clear immigration at T5?

My luggage will be checked through to SJC so a little extra walking is not a problem. The main issue is which route is likely to be quicker and less of a hassle. I am arriving at LHR at 11:30 AM on a Thursday (if that makes a difference).
Hi majortom421. I agree with Tobias-UK. The only unknown is whether immigration for non-EU passport holders would be quicker at T3 or T5, but there may not be much in it so you may as well stick with (2).

By going landside on your connection you are having to go through immigration which if you remained airside you would avoid. However, if you have enough time there is certainly no harm in going landside, up to departures, and to the first wing.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Hi majortom421. I agree with Tobias-UK. The only unknown is whether immigration for non-EU passport holders would be quicker at T3 or T5, but there may not be much in it so you may as well stick with (2).

By going landside on your connection you are having to go through immigration which if you remained airside you would avoid. However, if you have enough time there is certainly no harm in going landside, up to departures, and to the first wing.
Thank you, gentlemen.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

What do BA do with pax who miss conformance on the last domestic flight of the day?

Specifically, my parents have a one hour connection INT-DOM tomorrow but are delayed by around 30 minutes on the inbound so likely won’t make the last flight to MAN, especially as they are likely to arrive at B or C gates. Does BA put them on a flight the next morning or can they arrange/reimburse road transport for that evening?

Never missed a connection like this with BA so just wondered what I should tell my parents to expect.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
What do BA do with pax who miss conformance on the last domestic flight of the day?
BA normally auto rebooks during the flight into LHR if they know it's a no-go, and usually for the first flight the next day. Hotels are also booked and often (but not always) there will be someone on the bridge with Hoppa tickets and hotel vouchers, plus a new boarding pass. If they have a Smartphone the App can indicate this will happen as you come into land, which gives you a bit of a feeling as to whether to rush, or whether to plod off slowly or not. This is assuming one reservation obviously. If they aren't in a rush to get home, they can ask to be shifted a flight a bit later so they can have a sensible night's sleep and breakfast, rather than what may be a rather short night at the hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA normally auto rebooks during the flight into LHR if they know it's a no-go, and usually for the first flight the next day. Hotels are also booked and often (but not always) there will be someone on the bridge with Hoppa tickets and hotel vouchers, plus a new boarding pass. If they have a Smartphone the App can indicate this will happen as you come into land, which gives you a bit of a feeling as to whether to rush, or whether to plod off slowly or not. This is assuming one reservation obviously. If they aren't in a rush to get home, they can ask to be shifted a flight a bit later so they can have a sensible night's sleep and breakfast, rather than what may be a rather short night at the hotel.
All clear, thank you for the detailed reply.

No smartphone (in fact my dad refuses to carry a phone full stop).

Is it still the case that if EU261 is applicable they have to continue with whatever BA book and can’t just choose to get the National Express home and still get the compensation? They’re in no rush to get home so if they have to stay overnight and go in the morning so be it but if they’re not getting EU261 in any case I reckon they’d rather just get a coach home and be in their own bed.

Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Is it still the case that if EU261 is applicable they have to continue with whatever BA book and can’t just choose to get the National Express home and still get the compensation? They’re in no rush to get home so if they have to stay overnight and go in the morning so be it but if they’re not getting EU261 in any case I reckon they’d rather just get a coach home and be in their own bed.
Yes, if it's a delay they will need to sit it out to be eligible for Article 7 compensation. However it will of course depend on the cause of the delay and if it's only a short delay on a tight connection then BA will be in a stronger position to claim it was ATC / weather related, so just right to care would apply. They would be able to claim a refund on the abandoned LHR-MAN sector, which may be around the £50 mark, if the delay is over 5 hours. It would be particularly useful if your parents can recall exactly what the flight deck said about the delay during the boarding announcement, which may be repeated in the arrival announcement.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, if it's a delay they will need to sit it out to be eligible for Article 7 compensation. However it will of course depend on the cause of the delay and if it's only a short delay on a tight connection then BA will be in a stronger position to claim it was ATC / weather related, so just right to care would apply. They would be able to claim a refund on the abandoned LHR-MAN sector, which may be around the £50 mark, if the delay is over 5 hours. It would be particularly useful if your parents can recall exactly what the flight deck said about the delay during the boarding announcement, which may be repeated in the arrival announcement.
Okay, thanks. Will ask them to listen out. They may even make up some time en route so it may be moot in the end, just want to give them a heads up as they’ll be out of contact once I leave them at the airport.

I’ve posted a separate message in the delays clinic thread asking if anyone knows why the outbound from LHR was delayed (which has caused the delay to the inbound).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:45 pm

We’re flying from MAN -LHR (T5) - LHR (T3) - PHX on a through tix, club Europe for the domestic leg, first for the international leg. We’ve done the terminal connection/transfer from T3-T5, changing from a Virgin flight onto a BA flight but not tranferrred from T5 - T3, as we’re flying with the same airline what’s the best way to transit between the two terminals. We used Heathrow express to travel between the terminals last time, this only took approx. 30mins but not sure we took the best option as we seemed to have a long walk to get to the trains. Is this the best option or is the shuttle a better option? Any chanace the PHX flight may depart from T3?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kat222
We’re flying from MAN -LHR (T5) - LHR (T3) - PHX on a through tix, club Europe for the domestic leg, first for the international leg. We’ve done the terminal connection/transfer from T3-T5, changing from a Virgin flight onto a BA flight but not tranferrred from T5 - T3, as we’re flying with the same airline what’s the best way to transit between the two terminals. We used Heathrow express to travel between the terminals last time, this only took approx. 30mins but not sure we took the best option as we seemed to have a long walk to get to the trains. Is this the best option or is the shuttle a better option? Any chanace the PHX flight may depart from T3?
The PHX flight will definitely depart from T3. The simplest way is to take the airside transfer bus. Alternatively you could go landside (no passport control from MAN) and take either the Tube or the HEX but no real advantage to doing that unless you dislike buses. All the info in the detailed posts at the top of this thread.

Incidentally the procedure is the same whether transferring between the same airline or different airlines, as long as your baggage is checked through.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kat222
PHX will definitely leave from T3 (do try the CX F lounge when you are in T3). I would stick to the airside buses to T3 unless you have a specific reason to go landside. When you arrive at T5A follow the purple signs for ‘flight connections T2/3/4’ down to the buses and take the T3 one. When you get to T3 you will have to go through security, use the fast track to the left of the security hall.

From stepping off the plane to clearing security in T3 should be around 30-45 minutes.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:09 pm

Thank you Ldnn1 and =KARFA, we don’t have a preference I think we took a wrong turn/followed the wrong sign last time then end up on Heathrow Express. The bus is preferred, this time the bags will be checked through just need to follow the right signs. Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.