FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Good afternoon!

I'm planning some multi-city travel for work and it looks like my best flights use LHR as a hub. Judging from the first posts in this thread (Thanks for all the hard work!) this looks like it might be a 'fun' task. So I have some questions.

Destination 1: Lyon France.

Looks like my best flights may be BTR-DFW-LHR-LYS with my choice of AA or BA on the DFW-LHR leg. (AA for sure BTR-DFW, BA for sure LHR-LYS)

Questions:

(1) Is AA the better metal here? Per the guide AA arrives in T3 and per the OP Lyon is one of the few destinations BA services from T3. On the other hand, this may be my one chance to go upper deck on a 747 if I go BA.
(2) Minimum recommended connection time for both cases? Overall travel time doesn't really bother me.
(3) Any quirks with an International to International connection at LHR?

Destination 2: Manchester, UK

Questions:

(1) Minimum recommended connection time for LYS-LHR-MAN, entirely on BA metal?
(2) This leg I have to book in Y, does OneWorld Emerald get lounge access at LHR?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:21 pm

I have a quick question.

I arrive at 12:10 pm (business) from Cairo.
I have a sector the following day out of Dublin.

I have never been to Dublin so I was thinking of skipping the transfer to Ryanair at LGW.

Anyway, the next BA flight is at 1:20 pm and the next flight is on Air Lingus at 1:25 pm.

Would either flight give enough time? I will have a checked bag.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by surftb15
Anyway, the next BA flight is at 1:20 pm and the next flight is on Air Lingus at 1:25 pm.

Would either flight give enough time? I will have a checked bag.
If the ticket ends up as CAI-LHR-DUB then the BA service is OK if tight (minimum connection time within T5 being one hour), the Aer Lingus service is not OK since they are in another terminal (MCT 90 minutes).

If you are on separate tickets you will need to allow a lot more time since BA won't interline baggage even to themselves let alone anyone else. Baggage reclaim is usually quite swift at LHR, but you need to allow for delays, getting around T5, and a cut off time for getting your bag checked in which is effectively 40 minutes, assuming you check in online in advance. You best allow a few hours really.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the ticket ends up as CAI-LHR-DUB then the BA service is OK if tight (minimum connection time within T5 being one hour), the Aer Lingus service is not OK since they are in another terminal (MCT 90 minutes).

If you are on separate tickets you will need to allow a lot more time since BA won't interline baggage even to themselves let alone anyone else. Baggage reclaim is usually quite swift at LHR, but you need to allow for delays, getting around T5, and a cut off time for getting your bag checked in which is effectively 40 minutes, assuming you check in online in advance. You best allow a few hours really.
Unfortunately, the ticket is CAI LHR then DUB LHR JFK LAX HNL.

Great fare sale!

I need to purchase the ticket to DUB separately.

Its looking like LGW on Ryanair may be better.... The only advantage to BA was to allow time in Dublin.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
LHR-LCY connection

@KARFA, this is a great guide!

Regarding the connection from LHR-LCY documented in post #10 , if using HEX , I would *strongly* recommend changing at Baker Street, particularly if you have luggage. This is a cross-platform connection, whereas changing at Waterloo involves a fair hike and a combination of steps/escalators/walkways.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travellingwigbury
@KARFA, this is a great guide!

Regarding the connection from LHR-LCY documented in post #10 , if using HEX , I would *strongly* recommend changing at Baker Street, particularly if you have luggage. This is a cross-platform connection, whereas changing at Waterloo involves a fair hike and a combination of steps/escalators/walkways.
Hi travellingwigbury. Thanks for your comments

Very good point on LHR-LCY, I have added a note based on your recommendation to post 10.
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
On the same topic, many people reckon that if you have luggage (and perhaps even if you don't), the change between the Piccadilly Line and the Jubilee Line at Green Park (in either direction) is best done by:-
  • [*]
  • [*]
This should, I think, be step-free and it avoids both a fairly long walk through the walkway tunnels on the offical connection route and the vagaries of the slow and often unreliable lifts that are needed to change levels along the official route.

For those who want to see the detail, this diagram may help.

An alternative route between Heathrow and Canning Town is to do the standard cross-platform change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court, and then using the escalators or lifts from the District Line to the Jubilee Line at Westminster. One more change, but rather less angst at either station.

Rumours that Mornington Crescent has anything to do with this post are malicious and unfounded.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
On the same topic, many people reckon that if you have luggage (and perhaps even if you don't), the change between the Piccadilly Line and the Jubilee Line at Green Park (in either direction) is best done by:-
  • Not exiting through the ticket barrier; but then
  • Taking the appropriate escalator down to the other line.
This should, I think, be step-free and it avoids both a fairly long walk through the walkway tunnels on the offical connection route and the vagaries of the slow and often unreliable lifts that are needed to change levels along the official route.

For those who want to see the detail, this diagram may help.

An alternative route between Heathrow and Canning Town is to do the standard cross-platform change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court, and then using the escalators or lifts from the District Line to the Jubilee Line at Westminster. One more change, but rather less angst at either station.

Rumours that Mornington Crescent has anything to do with this post are malicious and unfounded.
Thanks. Link in post 10 has now been added to this post. I didn't know the Green Park tip.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:00 am

This is a massively helpful guide, thanks.

Quick question... I'm due to arrive from ACC (i.e. to T3), then connecting on same ticket to a T5 domestic service with about 2 hours to spare. I'll be in J, and I'm a GCH with a UK passport. What's the best way to do it if I want to have a shower and some breakfast on the layover? Assuming that it's quicker to use the airside bus than HEX, can I (should I?) go landside when I get into T5 and then use the arrivals lounge before going through the F Wing; or will I be better off playing it by the book and staying airside when I get to the T5 FCC?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jk156
can I (should I?) go landside when I get into T5 and then use the arrivals lounge before going through the F Wing;
You should do this if you have more than 50 minutes spare when you get to T5, using the e-gates. After 16:00 hrs there may not be much in it, but before then if you can use the main UK Border e-gates then you should; doubly so if you have First Wing access, but even Fast Track this would still apply.
jk156 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jk156
I'm due to arrive from ACC (i.e. to T3), then connecting on same ticket to a T5 domestic service with about 2 hours to spare.
Just to be clear, do you mean that you have two hours between flights, or do you mean that you have two hours on top of the time that it normally takes to do the inter-terminal transfer/connection process?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Just to be clear, do you mean that you have two hours between flights, or do you mean that you have two hours on top of the time that it normally takes to do the inter-terminal transfer/connection process?
It's 2h 05m between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Originally Posted by KARFA
Good news, the guide has now been brought fully up to date - I went through everything and revised where neeed. There is also some new content added.
thanks for all your work on this! I read carefully and just transferred from T3--T5 (RDU-LHR-DUS) and it was very smooth and simple even with a boarding pass glitch. Security was swift enough and we were settled into breakfast in the Gallery Club South within an hour of landing. You and Flyertalk made our first LHR experience a good one. Much appreciated!
Old May 16, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KBRDU
thanks for all your work on this! I read carefully and just transferred from T3--T5 (RDU-LHR-DUS) and it was very smooth and simple even with a boarding pass glitch. Security was swift enough and we were settled into breakfast in the Gallery Club South within an hour of landing. You and Flyertalk made our first LHR experience a good one. Much appreciated!
Hi KBRDU. Many thanks for your comments, very kind of you to say that. I am very glad your connection went well and that you found the guide useful ^
Old May 25, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Apologies for the double post, I already posted it in this thread on the UK & Ireland board but it is also relevant to this thread. I will integrate it in to the posts at the start of the thread when I get a chance.

So regulars may have noticed TfL barriers are now in place at the HEX stations around LHR. These have been turned on since SUnday 20 May. Previously you didn't need any card to use the HEX for terminal transfers but you do now. I saw the new arrangement myself today for first time - normally I wouldn't get the HEX between T2/3 and T5 but I went that way today. There are now dedicated ticket machines to get the free transfer ticket - you can't get the free tickets from the normal machines.

At T2/3 there only seemed to be one machine I could spot and that was situated just to the left of the barrier line.

Basically just select the number of tickets you want and press print.

Then just use the ticket in the ticket barrier and down the lifts to the platform. When you exit at the other station (for me it was T5) the ticket is captured by the barrier so you can't keep it as a souvenir

At T5 there were two free ticket machines I spotted down at platform level:

At ground floor level I couldn't see any free ticket machines, just the normal ticket machines, so at T5 it seems you can only get the free ticket at platform level.

Updated: as of late 2018 there are also now free transfer ticket machines at the ground floor level of T5 just before you head to the lifts for the HEX/tube

I haven't seen the set up at T4 yet, may try and head that way in the near future to have a look.

EDIT: just to add I assume like the tube you can use an oyster or contactless card instead to tap in and out, so getting the paper tickets isn’t compulsory.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 28, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.