Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:55 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Just wondering.

If I fly MAN-LHR domestic and arrive into T5, and then catch the Las Vegas Flight from T3. I Do need to clear security again right ?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
If I fly MAN-LHR domestic and arrive into T5, and then catch the Las Vegas Flight from T3. I Do need to clear security again right ?
Correct, at T3, unless Lady Luck sends a limo to transfer you.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Was t there something in Business Traveller about a. Ew car transfer service at LHR or was that my imagination. I don't think I've seen anything here about it
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Was t there something in Business Traveller about a. Ew car transfer service at LHR or was that my imagination. I don't think I've seen anything here about it
Yes there was an article in business traveller.

There have been a couple of threads on here about it already
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:13 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World View Post
Thank you.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes there was an article in business traveller.

There have been a couple of threads on here about it already
Here is one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nnections.html
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I have blundered and booked a connection from Warsaw to Mumbai with only 90 minutes to connect. I am not yet a regular to Poland so missed the fact that it arrives at T3 so I'll need to change to T5 for BOM. If the app shows a likely B or C gate for for the India flight is there a connection bus that goes to T5B or do I need to go to T5A in all cases?

I'm on a single ticket so protected from that point of view but I don't rate my chances of making it with my luggage. Lesson learned.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I have blundered and booked a connection from Warsaw to Mumbai with only 90 minutes to connect. I am not yet a regular to Poland so missed the fact that it arrives at T3 so I'll need to change to T5 for BOM. If the app shows a likely B or C gate for for the India flight is there a connection bus that goes to T5B or do I need to go to T5A in all cases?

I'm on a single ticket so protected from that point of view but I don't rate my chances of making it with my luggage. Lesson learned.
Going HBO would indeed be better in this situation, but 90 minutes is Ok if you are on time. In theory the bags move faster than the humans. 45 minutes seems the collective experience here for the transfer from T3 gate to airside T5, and I've done it in under 30 minutes. Yes, you do have to go via T5A and then out to the relevant A, B or C gates. And yes, the BA App and the HAL App will keep you appraised of the gate number, though best to check before you are too far into the bus trip from T3, given that over half the trip is in an underground tunnel.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by KARFA
The lounge agents can usually see an indicated gate more than an hour before. They may be reluctant to tell passengers in case it changes, but if you ask whether there is an indicated gate but acknowledge it may change then they will usually tell you.

The gate is confirmed and shown on the information screens around 1 hour before. Sometimes you may get an indication much earlier to A, B or C gates but not specifying which one, e.g. will go from C gates.

When you get off the flight there are large information screens after the airbridge in the corridor on the way to the transit system, have a check of them and see whether your gate for DEL is listed.
Thanks again for your help with the 1:15 connection. I booked the flight and fly next week.

I've been monitoring the flights for the past few days. The incoming DFW-LHR has mostly been early, as much as 30 min early. That would be fantastic if it is. The LHR-DEL seems to leave on time or even a few minutes late.
I'll report back how things go.

On a separate note, on my return journey I have 5.5 hours at LHR. I posted over in the UK forum here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28789560-post161.html

I don't think I will leave the airport. Any thoughts on the best lounge to visit? I'm oneworld sapphire so should have access to any business-level lounge. I've been to I think the T5B lounge before and it seemed nice.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin

In my experience of T3 to T5 in 90 minutes you should be fine!

Even arriving 30 minutes late I have made a T3 to T5 connection. I was one of the last on the plane but I did make it and my luggage made it.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I don't think I will leave the airport. Any thoughts on the best lounge to visit? I'm oneworld sapphire so should have access to any business-level lounge. I've been to I think the T5B lounge before and it seemed nice.
Well there would a good case for trying another lounge out, just to give a change of scenery. The DFW flight may leave from T5B but it is sometimes a T5A gate 10 (bus departure). One option would be (a) read up on the passageway guide in this forum's Dashboard - you are a departing passenger in this context - and (b) go to T5B by passageway or transit as your first lounge and (c) about 120 to 90 minutes before departure go to the entrance desk and see if you get an answer to "unofficially from which gate may the DFW service depart?". If it is T5A gate 10 then use the passageway to return to T5A, go to the South lounge complex, and stay there until maximum 30 minutes before departure. Bus gates close in theory 20 minutes before departure. If it's T5C, well, you still have time to go to T5A and then T5C but I'd probably stay put.

All 3 Club lounges offer identical food and drink at identical times, it's just North can be a bit of a zoo (handy for the fast moving Domestic crowd) and T5B is the opposite, even T5B departing passengers often don't know about its existence. South is the largest, and in between in terms of being busy. It has the best views of any lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well there would a good case for trying another lounge out, just to give a change of scenery. The DFW flight may leave from T5B but it is sometimes a T5A gate 10 (bus departure). One option would be (a) read up on the passageway guide in this forum's Dashboard - you are a departing passenger in this context - and (b) go to T5B by passageway or transit as your first lounge and (c) about 120 to 90 minutes before departure go to the entrance desk and see if you get an answer to "unofficially from which gate may the DFW service depart?". If it is T5A gate 10 then use the passageway to return to T5A, go to the South lounge complex, and stay there until maximum 30 minutes before departure. Bus gates close in theory 20 minutes before departure. If it's T5C, well, you still have time to go to T5A and then T5C but I'd probably stay put.
Thanks for the feedback!

Not that it makes a difference, but my return journey is DEL-LHR-AUS. I'm looking forward to flying straight into AUS. I've never done immigration here yet.

I remember when I flew JNB-LHR-IAH a few years ago that I followed a sign for transfers, or something like that. The security was just a little one. I went to the gate, and the agents told me I had plenty of time to go to a lounge, and had me walk through some underground passageway to get there.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I remember when I flew JNB-LHR-IAH a few years ago that I followed a sign for transfers, or something like that. The security was just a little one. I went to the gate, and the agents told me I had plenty of time to go to a lounge, and had me walk through some underground passageway to get there.
That sounds like the T5C flight connection centre and you then went via the passageway to/from T5B. If you arrive into T5C or T5B you can clear security there and thereby be airside, but traditionally they won't let you through that unless your onward flight is down for either T5B or C (unfortunately). With a 5 hour connection absolutely no one will know, so you're almost certain to be going via T5A for security.

Austin is less likely to be an A10, and bit more likely to be T5C. So I may change my previous reply. You may want to go to South lounges first, for an hour or two, then go to T5B for the change of scenery. From that lounge all gates in A, B or C are within 10 minutes walk approx.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thinking of booking BOS-LHR-ARN for early next year. Then catching an onward flight out of ARN (separate PNR).

The flights I have in mind are BA238 (arrive 18:50) & BA786 (depart 19:55), a 65 min connection T5 to T5. Since this is the final LHR-ARN flight of the day, missing it will delay us by ~12 hours or so. Am I stupid for even considering this? Or is this reasonable? We may also have a checked bag or two. If it matters, we both have US e-passports.

NB: The onward flights from ARN will be 24-36hrs after our scheduled arrival in ARN, so there's plenty of wiggle room for missed connections. I'd just rather spend some time in STO than in the LHR terminal.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I would go for hhe connection. You will probably make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.