Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA
I have an upcoming INT-INT T5 5 hour connection but I'd like to go to T2 to use a lounge pass. Am I able to move around terminals airside or do I need a boarding pass for a flight departing from that terminal to go in? I can't find anything solid regarding this online.

I just really want a shower and some free food after being in long haul Y
Old May 26, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by emika
I have an upcoming INT-INT T5 5 hour connection but I'd like to go to T2 to use a lounge pass. Am I able to move around terminals airside or do I need a boarding pass for a flight departing from that terminal to go in? I can't find anything solid regarding this online.

Unfortunately it is impossible.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Unfortunately it is impossible.
I just asked LHR on Twitter because I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask. They said that if I had a pass, I should be granted access to the terminal to use the lounge ^
Old May 26, 2017, 3:54 am

I just asked LHR on Twitter because I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask. They said that if I had a pass, I should be granted access to the terminal to use the lounge ^
Of course, but if you had a boarding pass for a flight departing T2 it would mean you are not departing from T5 That said, I heard in the past about people who bought a flexible ticket for a flight in order to gain lounge access and then cancelled literally at the last moment. Not that I'm recommending doing that...
Old May 26, 2017, 4:07 am

It is possible to enter and leave the departures area at T3 without a boarding pass for that terminal, so go shopping or use lounges. I don't know about T2.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
It is possible to enter and leave the departures area at T3 without a boarding pass for that terminal, so go shopping or use lounges. I don't know about T2.
It's also true for T2. And in this case it is possible due to the fact this is a transfer. The OP will need to go to T2 directly after arrival into T5. It can't conveniently be done later. Using the lounge is an accepted reason for entering T2.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:18 am

So in which terminals it is not possible? I'm quite surprised because when I asked in the past (about T5-T3 transfer) the answer was always - no way
Old May 26, 2017, 8:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So in which terminals it is not possible? I'm quite surprised because when I asked in the past (about T5-T3 transfer) the answer was always - no way
Getting into T5 if not flying from T5 remains very difficult, they basically allow that just for top end shopping only and someone from the relevant HAL team will accompany you. For the other terminals it's OK to visit for lounges, something that changed a few years ago, indeed there are signs to assist people with this (e.g. in Flight Connections). However if starting your journey at T5, and therefore not connecting, then you can't in practical terms get to any other terminal once airside. And if your trip is only from T5 (again not connecting) then you can't enter the Heathrow complex via another terminal. Which probably looks confusing, but essentially this is a benefit that works best for those connecting and with a long time between flights.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Getting into T5 if not flying from T5 remains very difficult, they basically allow that just for top end shopping only and someone from the relevant HAL team will accompany you. For the other terminals it's OK to visit for lounges, something that changed a few years ago, indeed there are signs to assist people with this (e.g. in Flight Connections). However if starting your journey at T5, and therefore not connecting, then you can't in practical terms get to any other terminal once airside. And if your trip is only from T5 (again not connecting) then you can't enter the Heathrow complex via another terminal. Which probably looks confusing, but essentially this is a benefit that works best for those connecting and with a long time between flights.
Thanks for that but I'm still somewhat confused So let's say I'm arriving to T5 and connecting to a flight in T5 but have enough time and want to visit, say, the CX lounge at T3 (or any other lounge for that matter). So I simply take the Flight Connections bus to T3, pass security, go to the lounge and then return to T5 to take my flight? Or is it that the lounge agent at T3 will not let me enter because my flight departs from T5?

LHR might be even more adventurous than I previously thought...
Old May 26, 2017, 9:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for that but I'm still somewhat confused So let's say I'm arriving to T5 and connecting to a flight in T5 but have enough time and want to visit, say, the CX lounge at T3 (or any other lounge for that matter). So I simply take the Flight Connections bus to T3, pass security, go to the lounge and then return to T5 to take my flight? Or is it that the lounge agent at T3 will not let me enter because my flight departs from T5?

LHR might be even more adventurous than I previously thought...
Bear in mind the risk with all of this. You will not be in the terminal you need to be and if there is a problem with airside buses running slowly and you need to go from T5C unexpectedly you may find yourself in a poor position.

I honestly can't see the point in going all other the place, wasting at least an hour or more going between terminals, and having to needlessly go through extra security. I really am not sure it is recommended.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:24 am

Or is it that the lounge agent at T3 will not let me enter because my flight departs from T5?
That is indeed the risk. I think someone said they managed to do precisely this with Cathay, and those with paid access for the AA Clubs (and the relevant credit cardholders) would be well placed here. But for Cathay I suspect there is a risk that you would be declined access and then have rather a tedious trip back to T5. And if it doesn't happen now it soon will!

This facility makes more sense for Priority Pass holders rather than oneworld lounge hoppers, I can see the point in spending 90 minutes bussing around Heathrow just to get into that Cathay lounge.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you have a long layover and no access to the T5 lounges, I could see making use of this in order to get access to a shower after a LH flight, and to get a change of scenery on the long layover. I wouldn't do it if I would only have a short time in the lounge though.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
If you have a long layover and no access to the T5 lounges, I could see making use of this in order to get access to a shower after a LH flight, and to get a change of scenery on the long layover. I wouldn't do it if I would only have a short time in the lounge though.
Well that would apply to the paid lounges and as noted by cws that was always possible. Otherwise if you had access to oneworld lounges in T3 I would think you would have some lounge access to the BA lounges in T5 as well.

There is now a paid lounge in T5 so that somewhat reduces the need for those who have no lounge access.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:48 am

As they say, you learn something new every day...

I'm glad the OP got the right answer from LHR twitter team; at first I thought they gave her/him a negative answer as I was reading 'pass' as in 'boarding pass' but finally I realised it was 'lounge pass'.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:10 pm

I should have clarified what I meant by the pass and yes, lounge pass not boarding pass

The paid lounge in T5 charges extra for showers on top of the admission charge and my pass is free for both If it was a shorter layover, I'd either skip the shower or pay up but 5 hours should be enough time to visit T2.

Will head directly to T2 after deplaning and leave the lounge early, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.