FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Basically just select the number of tickets you want and press print.
Then just use the ticket in the ticket barrier and down the lifts to the platform. When you exit at the other station (for me it was T5) the ticket is captured by the barrier so you can't keep it as a souvenir
I assume you could request one extra ticket from the machine though?
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travellingwigbury
I assume you could request one extra ticket from the machine though?
Good point! Hadn't thought of that
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At ground floor level I couldn't see any free ticket machines, just the normal ticket machines, so at T5 it seems you can only get the free ticket at platform level.

I haven't seen the set up at T4 yet, may try and head that way in the near future to have a look.

EDIT: just to add I assume like the tube you can use an oyster or contactless card instead to tap in and out, so getting the paper tickets isn’t compulsory.
Yes, the free ticket machines at T5 are only at plaform level, and despite a total of 6 different types of ticket machines at T5, none of the machines at the Arrivals level state that they don't issue inter-terminal tickets. Moreover the ticket desk provision in Arrivals has now gone, you have to use a machine, though there is a member of staff patrolling the machines. There is however a clear blue sign to the platform which does say that inter terminal trains are free. And yes a Contactless or Oystercard will do the trick instead of using the tickets.

At Terminal 4, just to complete the picture, there are two machines close to the T4 barriers, again at platform level.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the free ticket machines at T5....
Thanks, that saves me a trip to T4.

A couple of random thoughts I had, can you get a free transfer ticket and then go to the tube and use it on the tube instead between terminals? And are the tickets time limited so could you get a few and use them up over several weeks? Neither questions are really important or based on things folks would normally do, but I thought might be interesting to know. May try next time I have some time to kill at LHR!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Amazing guide, kudos to OP. Connection seems simple enough based on the info provided but as far as timing can someone tell me if I'm cutting this connection too close.
Flights will be on separate tickets. Carry on only. BA flight in biz so assuming quick de-board, and I'm a OW Emerald which I suppose means fast-track.Traveling solo and can move quickly.

Scheduled to arrive into T5 from JFK on BA172 @ 9:05
Depart on AY1332 to HEL @ 10:20 from T3

Many thanks
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelNYC
Amazing guide, kudos to OP. Connection seems simple enough based on the info provided but as far as timing can someone tell me if I'm cutting this connection too close.
Flights will be on separate tickets. Carry on only. BA flight in biz so assuming quick de-board, and I'm a OW Emerald which I suppose means fast-track.Traveling solo and can move quickly.

Many thanks
IMO you're cutting it way too close, especially as you're on separate tickets. If everything goes perfectly (on-time arrival, short wait for T3 transfer bus), then you have a decent chance, but even with the slightest hiccup (say, anything more than a 10-minute delay arriving from JFK) you'd be looking at forking out cash for a walk-up fare to HEL.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks
thanks for the commments TravelNYC ^

In terms of your proposed itinerary I agree with dkc192, I think for separate tickets it’s a bit tight really. If everything went well and you arrived on time you would make it with time to spare. However it won’t take much for you to miss it, a 30 minute arrival delay and you’d really be struggling. If I were you I would book the next flight to HEL and give yourself a bit more time.

also remember you can get the airside connection bus from T5B as I imagine you’ll arrive at a B or C gate.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:40 pm

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I knew this would be pushing the limit. Seems it's not worth the stress of hoping everything goes to plan and besides there are certainly worse things to do than kill time in the CX/QF lounges.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I knew this would be pushing the limit. Seems it's not worth the stress of hoping everything goes to plan and besides there are certainly worse things to do than kill time in the CX/QF lounges.
Sod’s law of course will be that having booked a later flight you will end up arriving in to LHR early and would have easily made the 1020 flight. Anyway, as you say you at least have some nice lounges in T3 to enjoy whilst you wait
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:46 pm

Of course that will be the case....I wouldn't expect anything else
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I'm flying OSL-LHR-BOS in a week and a half... Any insight on the following connection would be appreciated:

BA 767 OSL-LHR Dep: 17:30 Arr: 18:50
BA 239 LHR-BOS Dep: 19:55 Arr: 22:15

Three Questions:

1) Any typical gates that these flights depart from?
2) How much 'breathing room' do I have if the flight is on time? Do I need to sprint or will a "purposeful walk" suffice?
3) Is the FCC typically crowded at this time of day?

Last edited by BOSishome; Jun 21, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
1.BA239 will most probably depart the satelite terminals B and C but they may go from gate A10 which is the bus gate.
2. It all depends on what time you leave OSL. Assuming the flight is on time and you arrive into A gates, a quick walk should be suffice. If it arrivesinto B gates it will probably be bettar for you, but check the Flight Connection screens as your gate will probably be on show.
2. With alot of the flights to the Far-East, Africa and the Middle East leaving in the late evening it will probably be a little crowded.
BOSishome likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOSishome

BA767 will depart from the F gates as OSL, as it is a flight leaving Schengen. There is an additional passport control between E and F gates, so make sure you factor in time for that as well, as it can get busy at times (no fast track here).
Please see this map for additional details:
https://avinor.no/globalassets/_oslo...departures.pdf
The lounges are at the yellow dot 10, second floor.
BOSishome likes this.

Last edited by Hilde; Jun 22, 2018 at 12:39 am Reason: Added "u" in lounges
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSishome
I'm flying OSL-LHR-BOS in a week and a half... Any insight on the following connection would be appreciated:

Three Questions:

2) How much 'breathing room' do I have if the flight is on time? Do I need to sprint or will a "purposeful walk" suffice?
3) Is the FCC typically crowded at this time of day?
to add to the above posts, LHR-BOS will most probably go from a B or C gate (although bussing from A10 is possible) so if you do arrive from OSL on to a B or C gate you should use the flight connections in those satellites and not go all the way to T5a only to come all the way back.
BOSishome likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Made the connection today.

Didn’t get off the plane until about 6:57 in the B terminal and the flight to BOS was departing C61.

Hustled through the FCC and made it to the gate as group 3 was being called... Of course, I also got SSSS’ed so I was ended up taking my seat after almost everyone boarded.

As an aside, 3/4 checked bags in our group made it. The one that did not was an oversized piece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.