A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Made the connection today.

Didn’t get off the plane until about 6:57 in the B terminal and the flight to BOS was departing C61.

Hustled through the FCC and made it to the gate as group 3 was being called... Of course, I also got SSSS’ed so I was ended up taking my seat after almost everyone boarded.

As an aside, 3/4 checked bags in our group made it. The one that did not was an oversized piece.
Apologies I didn't reply at the time. Thanks for the report BOSishome ^

i assume you made use of the smaller FCC in T5B? That probably saved a lot of time.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’ll be connecting to a JFK flight coming from INV next week. The transfer procedure seems painless, straightforward and, I imagine, also quick. How long would you reckon it’ll take from disembarking to the CCR?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
I’ll be connecting to a JFK flight coming from INV next week. The transfer procedure seems painless, straightforward and, I imagine, also quick. How long would you reckon it’ll take from disembarking to the CCR?
Shouldn’t be more than 5 minutes. Basically it’s just a bp check then you are straight up in to the airside departures area.
ringingup likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Petroleum, BA Exec Club
I have a connecting flight, JFK-LHR-EDi coming up with 1 hour 15 mins time between. BA112 to BA1434 on a 767, which i believe can be a bus gate on occasion. Arrive in at 6:30am, leave at 7:45am

On my limited experience of LHR at 6:30am, security etc can be really busy. How likely is it we (other half and 2 kids) will make this connection. Happy to use the underground tunnels and aware of the going landside if queues are bad but havent done it before.

I appreciate there is a number of variables and assumptions to be made, assuming both on time and typical queues.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:32 pm
SBT

Arriving on AA 136 T3 and connecting to BA 167 T5. assuming on time arrival connecting time is 2 hours. Checking bags through. Should I be worried about my luggage not making the connection? What has the history been? On the return connecting time is only 95 minutes. Cause for concern? Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SBT
Arriving on AA 136 T3 and connecting to BA 167 T5. assuming on time arrival connecting time is 2 hours. Checking bags through. Should I be worried about my luggage not making the connection? What has the history been? On the return connecting time is only 95 minutes. Cause for concern? Thanks
Two hours is adequate T3 to T5. Assuming the return is T5 - T3 the Minimum Connection Time (MCT) is 90 minutes so you're on the cusp. That's supposed to be enough, but if your inbound is delayed you may make it but your luggage won't. Unless you're seriously delayed that's not very likely, though, as they generally get bags moved along pretty well. I wouldn't stress about it unless you really care about getting your dirty clothes in a hurry upon returning home.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Apologies I didn't reply at the time. Thanks for the report BOSishome ^

i assume you made use of the smaller FCC in T5B? That probably saved a lot of time.
Yes, it was the one in T5B. It was pretty uncrowded. On my flight from OSL, it seemed to mostly be either connections to BOS or JFK (the only two US connections that late, I think) or connections to India.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

New FCC in LHR T3 (July 2018)

This post covers the new flight connections centre (FCC) in T3. When connecting from a T3->T3 flight, or when connecting from a T2/4/5->T3 flight and arriving in to T3 on the airside inter terminal buses, you will arrive in to this new FCC. The post covers:

• General Comments
  • Arriving on the airside bus from T2/4/5
  • Arriving in to T3 and connecting to T2/4/5
  • Arriving in to T3 from T2/4/5 and exiting through immigration to landside

General Comments

The new FCC is open in T3. It is in a different place to the old FCC which was always temporary (and felt like it) whilst work was done to create this new bigger permanent FCC.

Arriving on the airside bus from T2/4/5

Once you get off the bus you go up two sets of stairs/escalators towards the security hall.

Area immediately at the top of the escalators/stairs:

Just before security on the left are airline service desks for BA and AA.

Also if you arrive at T3 but want to exit to immigration (i.e. joining over T3 arriving passengers) turn left in to that BA/AA service desk area, then left again down the side of the glass partitions, it is signed as "Arrivals, Baggage reclaim, Flight Connections Terminals 2,4,5". See below in the "Arriving in to T3 and connecting to T2/4/5" section with photos coming from the arrivals stream.

Fast track is to the left and normal track occupies most of the hall to the middle and right.

Beyond the security channels there is a signed one way door to the left of the security hall which is signed for "Arrivals, Baggage Claim, Flight Connections T2/4/5" - so taking that door will lead you to the arrivals stream and down to the new airside bus waiting area for T2,4,5. In the middle of the security hall past the security channels is an escalator marked down to "All Departure Gates", and to the right are lifts similarly marked.

At the bottom of the escalator is a signed path straight ahead to Departure Gates which goes through some new shops:

To the left are lifts back up and signed Arrivals, Baggage Claim, Flight Connections T2/4/5:

To the right are more airline service desks, it seems for all airlines:

Also in this airline service area to the right is a signed "Short Connect" route, this leads you down a corridor directly in to the start of the corridor for gates 23-42. This bypasses the longer route (i.e. the one signed "All Departure Gates") and is a much quicker way to the gates or lounges.

Looking back at the exit from the Short Connect corridor, this is signed to "Arrivals" and "Airline service desks" so can be taken as a route our of the airside departures area in T3 to landside via immigration.

If you choose to follow the "All departure gates" route via the shops you follow a longer route to the main waiting area of T3. Once through the shops there is a corridor which leads to the airside departures ares:

If you turn around you can see going the other way the corridor is signed as Arrivals, Baggage Claim, Airline Service Desks:

You now come out in T3 in to the main waiting area rather than on the lounge corridor:

In the figure below A is where you emerged from the old FCC (the old one way door to the arrivals stream was down the corridor towards the FCC), B is where you now emerge in to the departures area if following the "All departure gates" route via the shops, and C is where you emerge if following the "Short connect" route:

So if you are in the airside departures area of T3 and wish to exit landside you can either go via B or C following the signs to arrivals, this will lead you to immigration and landside.

Note that the old door which was just after the old FCC which let you out in to arrivals is no longer available, the first photo shows the place where the old FCC used to emerge in to the T3 airside depatures area - now all boarded up - and the second photo (curtesy of mwp1) shows that old door:

Arriving in to T3 and connecting to T2/4/5

As the FCC has now moved, so has the bus waiting area for the airside transfers to T2/4/5. Access from the arrivals stream is now on the opposite side of the corridor from the old access point:

and the old access point to the FCC on the opposite side - now closed and as of August this is also now boarded up

You head down a corridor and in to an area with an information screen and signed paths to T3 connections and T2/4/5 connections

If you head down the T3 connections route you emerge next to the BA/AA service desks which is just before security

If you head down the T2/4/5 channel you come to an escalator. stairs, and lifts to the bus waiting area

The new bus waiting area is much nicer than the old one in the temporary FCC

Arriving in to T3 from T2/4/5 and exiting through immigration to landside

If you get the airside buses to T3 but want to exit landside on arrival at T3 then you go up the escalators/stairs, left in to the BA/AA airline service desk area, left down the path next to the glass partition (signed as "Arrivals, Baggage reclaim, Flight Connections Terminals 2,4,5"), and then down the corridor which will lead you to the main airside arrivals stream. You then follow the signs to arrivals which will take you through immigration.

Area immediately at the top of the escalators/stairs:

Just before security on the left are airline service desks for BA and AA.

Follow the signs to arrivals.

This diagram should also help you understand the layout:

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 14, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Am I correct in thinking that walking into the B channel would let me go into arrivals without much hassle? In other words - easy exit from the airside.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman
Am I correct in thinking that walking into the B channel would let me go into arrivals without much hassle? In other words - easy exit from the airside.
yes it appears so
megaloman likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Photos now added to my post from yesterday for the new route to and the new waiting area for the airside buses.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Firstly, this is a great resource, so thanks very much.

Having tried T5 flight connections once (with no status at the time and using the north lounge) my gut feeling is to go landslide whenever feasible, although I realise that is based on a single experience and down to capacity/numbers on the day. So, looking at a future trip, if I arrive from a LH overnighter into T5, with a 2-3 hour layover before departing to EU from T5, can I go landslide, have a shower and breakfast in the arrivals lounge, and then 1st wing it back to the gold lounge? - mostly because in my (limited) experience, the showers were better in arrivals, it relieves the boredom, and more importantly I haven't tried it before. The proviso being that if timings change (eg late LH arrival) I can revert to plan B or C to meet conformance as in the wiki. (UK e-passport, bags either checked through or HBO).

And just to clarify if arriving into T3, can I take the airside bus to T5, go landslide there and back through 1st wing? In that case, would I be able to use the T5 arrivals lounge having arrived at T3? Would bringing a bottle of duty free on the LH arrival constrain you into using flight connections to get it through security?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Firstly, this is a great resource, so thanks very much.

Having tried T5 flight connections once (with no status at the time and using the north lounge) my gut feeling is to go landslide whenever feasible, although I realise that is based on a single experience and down to capacity/numbers on the day. So, looking at a future trip, if I arrive from a LH overnighter into T5, with a 2-3 hour layover before departing to EU from T5, can I go landslide, have a shower and breakfast in the arrivals lounge, and then 1st wing it back to the gold lounge? - mostly because in my (limited) experience, the showers were better in arrivals, it relieves the boredom, and more importantly I haven't tried it before. The proviso being that if timings change (eg late LH arrival) I can revert to plan B or C to meet conformance as in the wiki. (UK e-passport, bags either checked through or HBO).
Yes, you can go landside, visit arrivals lounge and use the First Wing to get back airsde - just make sure you clear security at the First Wing no later than 35 minutes before your *scheduled* departure time.

And just to clarify if arriving into T3, can I take the airside bus to T5, go landslide there and back through 1st wing? In that case, would I be able to use the T5 arrivals lounge having arrived at T3? Would bringing a bottle of duty free on the LH arrival constrain you into using flight connections to get it through security?
Yes, you can take the airside bus from T3 to T5 and go landside there - make sure you show up at the First Wing no later than 35 minutes before your *scheduled* departure time.
Can't comment on sealed duty free goods.
vintagepilot likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Would bringing a bottle of duty free on the LH arrival constrain you into using flight connections to get it through security?
So long as they are sealed in a STEB bag with the dated receipt visible then you can still go via landside, it's the same rules as Flight Connections. And use the Arrivals lounge from a T3 flight so long as it is a BA service. I agree with the other points made by megaloman, provided you have e-gate access. It was generally faster this way before the First Wing, but for Emeralds the argument has just got stronger with the opening of the First Wing. The exception is after approximately 16:00 hrs (and perhaps a bit before that on Saturdays) when Flight Connections is usually the faster route, simply because there typically won't be many other people using security.
vintagepilot likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Thanks both. Good point CWS - I hadn't thought about it needing to be a BA flight (which it would be in this case). I did use the arrivals lounge in T3 once, which had recently been refurbished and was very smart - and just, well, pleasant. I suppose that would be the way to go for an AA arrival but doing that and then getting the HEX might be bit of a faff - but it would pass the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.