FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Connecting in LHR 5

We are connecting in LHR this morning, T3 to T5, and noticed a couple of changes......
When you get to the top of the stairs in T5, there is no longer a BP check for domestic pax. Instead, you are fed straight into queue for immigration. There is now an express line to the extreme right hand side, controlled by BA agent. Good to see this reintroduced.
There was a fairly large queue for immigration, but have to say they had 5 or 6 agents on and we waited no more than 10 minutes. ^
The biometric check is now fully automated, immediately after immigration.
We were then channeled straight ahead and up escalators on left, which brought us out into general security area. It would appear that there is no longer fast track security using this route???
Old May 31, 2017, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zanderblue
We are connecting in LHR this morning, T3 to T5, and noticed a couple of changes......
When you get to the top of the stairs in T5, there is no longer a BP check for domestic pax. Instead, you are fed straight into queue for immigration. There is now an express line to the extreme right hand side, controlled by BA agent. Good to see this reintroduced.
There was a fairly large queue for immigration, but have to say they had 5 or 6 agents on and we waited no more than 10 minutes. ^
The biometric check is now fully automated, immediately after immigration.
We were then channeled straight ahead and up escalators on left, which brought us out into general security area. It would appear that there is no longer fast track security using this route???
Yes the bp check prior to the immigration desks for those doing a INT-DOM/DUB connection. That is actually a bad thing since it now means conformance happens after immigration which is not so good if you are running late.

I have to say if I thought the queue at immigration there looked like it would take 10 minutes I would have used the e-passport gates and gone landside instead.

There is fast track security. The path to north security is fast track, the path to south security is not fast track. There is usually a HAL agent stood at the bottom of the escalators checking fast track eligibility.

By express line do you mean the orange express connections or fast track? Fast track was removed from the immigration queues there a few years ago. There remained an express connection channel to the left, and then everyone else went in the main queue. Last time I was there EU and non-EU passport holders were not in separate lines either.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes, I mean express connections, now at extreme right hand side.

There was no segregation of EU/ non EU in the immigration queue. As I said though, it was well manned and moved quickly.

The old route up to fast track security north, was barriered off and has HAL staff with purple uniform in attendance. I did enquire and was told to use escalators on left.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zanderblue
Yes, I mean express connections, now at extreme right hand side.

There was no segregation of EU/ non EU in the immigration queue. As I said though, it was well manned and moved quickly.
Ah ok, so this sounds like it is exactly the same apart from express connections is now on the right instead of the left. Express connections is only for those clutching an orange express connections voucher though. Still no fast track which is what really remains a problem.

Also the other issue with not separating EU/non-EU is that the queue may seem short but you get stuck behind a few non-EU people requiring a lengthy questioning and that just ties up all the immigration officers and you go nowhere. It would make more sense to have a separate EU line and one officer dedicated to processing that to get people through quickly - this used to be the case but someone in their wisdom decided just to have one line.

I still would hope that they put one or two e-passport machine there at some point.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Something somewhat related... I think I saw a sign last week at the UK Border in T5 saying something about a group (say, family) using the eGates even if one of the members of the group is under 18.

Is this indeed possible?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), GGL 2021-, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
exiting

Will be arriving from US T5 and connecting to OTP for last leg of ex-OTP TP run. Want to drop my back in my car at T5 short stay car park. I will have about 2.5hrs for the connection, so should be ok. It should be straight forward to go landside and re-enter using LHR-OTP boarding pass right?

thanks!

Last edited by 62aClubWorld; Jun 4, 2017 at 2:40 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
Will be arriving from US T5 and connecting to OTP for last leg of ex-OTP TP run. Want to drop my back in my car at T5 short stay car park. I will have about 2.5hrs for the connection, so should be ok. Can you remind me, can you exit at T5 through passport control and then re-enter using the LHR-OTP boarding pass?

thanks!
Yes that's fine. Just use the e-passport gates to exit landside. If you are running short of time you can use the left luggage store which is on the ground floor landside towards the north end of the building opposite Giraffe.

Once you are done head up to the check in floor and use your LHR-OTP bp to go through security no later than 35 minutes before the flight.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
Will be arriving from US T5 and connecting to OTP for last leg of ex-OTP TP run. Want to drop my back in my car at T5 short stay car park. I will have about 2.5hrs for the connection, so should be ok. It should be straight forward to go landside and re-enter using LHR-OTP boarding pass right?

thanks!
This your carry on or checked luggage?

If checked then they may not short check it at your US departure airport.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), GGL 2021-, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This your carry on or checked luggage?

If checked then they may not short check it at your US departure airport.
Yes, it will be HBO.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Ok, this might be off topic but hope this can fall under "close enough";

When getting to ride a bus out to a longhaul flight at LHR, is there a separate bus for premiere class (F and C) from the gate to the plane?

I have only departed a few times from a bus gate, but I do not recall noticing a separate bus and have just hopped on the first one I see.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
]
When getting to ride a bus out to a longhaul flight at LHR, is there a separate bus for premiere class (F and C) from the gate to the plane?
No there isn't. There is fairly often a separate bus for CE pax on shorthaul arrivals, however.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
I apologize if this question has been answered, but I didn't see it addressed in the wiki, so here goes: is it possible to check in at T5 if your flight's departing out of T3? I'm asking solely because I managed to snag an F ticket using miles and would very much like to visit the Concorde Room before my flight (and yes, I've done the T3-T5 transfer on multiple occasions).

While my flight isn't originating at LHR, I have an overnight layover between flights after arriving from BUD tomorrow evening. Though I'd be perfectly happy spending the night in the Concorde Room I'm assuming it's not open 24/7. So: is this still possible, particularly in light of the UK being at its highest level of terror alert?

Edit: I'm departing out of T3 because I'm flying to PHX, which was relocated along with 7-8 other North American departures a couple of years ago IIRC.

Last edited by kirker; Jun 9, 2017 at 1:13 pm Reason: adding reason for T3 departure
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by kirker
I apologize if this question has been answered, but I didn't see it addressed in the wiki, so here goes: is it possible to check in at T5 if your flight's departing out of T3? I'm asking solely because I managed to snag an F ticket using miles and would very much like to visit the Concorde Room before my flight (and yes, I've done the T3-T5 transfer on multiple occasions).

While my flight isn't originating at LHR, I have an overnight layover between flights after arriving from BUD tomorrow evening. Though I'd be perfectly happy spending the night in the Concorde Room I'm assuming it's not open 24/7. So: is this still possible, particularly in light of the UK being at its highest level of terror alert?

Edit: I'm departing out of T3 because I'm flying to PHX, which was relocated along with 7-8 other North American departures a couple of years ago IIRC.
No. You cannot get airside in departures at T5 unless you have a BP for a flight departing from T5, so the CCR is not an option on this occasion.

BTW, flights from BUD on BA also use T3, so you wouldn't hit T5 anyway, and T5 closes overnight. Also, due to segregation of arrivals and departures at LHR, you couldn't do an airside transfer from T5 departures to another terminal anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Some welcome news for those connecting form INT flights on to DOM/DUB flights departing T5, there are about 5 e-passport gates which have now been added and they look like they are about to be turned on fairly soon. This should be a very welcome and overdue improvement for those of us with EU/EEA/Swiss passports who can use e-passport gates.

Also if doing an INT-INT connections there are now electronic gates for scanning the bp before passing through and heading up to security. These gates are the same as the ones already seen on the INT-DOM/DUB side, and seen at the first wing.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:09 am

I am travelling with family (including small children) and would like some input as to whether a 70 min window from arrival time to departure time is possible (or advisable) on a T5-T5 INT-INT connection. Arriving from US in CW and departing to ORY in CE. We'll have checked bags, strollers etc. I'd like to make this flight to avoid a several hour layover till the next, but just wondering if that is unavoidable.

Also, as of now, I am only ticketed on the arrival flight and need to book the departure flight. Is it possible to call BA after the 2nd flight is booked and have them link the two and does that help with luggage, or does it make a difference if I just keep them separate flights?

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere in this thread already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.