Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Countymonaghan
I still have to explain this to the glamorous granny and her grumpy, aka my Mum and Dad
Well the simple and I think fail-safe version is: Follow the Purple Signs for T5 Flight Connections, then after the escalator meet you by the seating outside WH Smith.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Countymonaghan
Hi KARFA, thank you for such an excellent guide and the time taken to compile it. BA and Heathrow should create a link to this thread or hire you to create their guide.
Many thanks for the comments. Nothing to add to the advice you have already received - but thanks and glad the guide has been of use to you.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
US arrival T3 to T5 departure Dublin

We have a long layover in LHR (5+ hours if things are ontime).

We'll be arriving on the BA flight from Denver and then departing on the BA flight to Dublin.

As I understand it, we'll be arriving at T3 and the Dublin flight is out of T5.

I am assuming our baggage will be checked through (in the US we'd need to clear and recheck for a continuation flight).

Are there any other issues we need to cope with. US Passport (Global Entry which does nothing in the UK of course).

We figure to spend time in one of the lounges (Business Class - Club World or whatever), given the length of the layover.

As I understand it we shuttle from T3 to T5 -- and need to 're-clear' to get to our Dublin flight -- is that correct?

Thanks for replies in advance.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BarryAZ

We'll be arriving on the BA flight from Denver and then departing on the BA flight to Dublin.

I am assuming our baggage will be checked through (in the US we'd need to clear and recheck for a continuation flight).

Are there any other issues we need to cope with. US Passport (Global Entry which does nothing in the UK of course).

We figure to spend time in one of the lounges (Business Class - Club World or whatever), given the length of the layover.

As I understand it we shuttle from T3 to T5 -- and need to 're-clear' to get to our Dublin flight -- is that correct?

Thanks for replies in advance.
Hi BarryAZ,

On arriving at LHR T3, follow signs for Flight Connections , Flight connections Terminal 5 ( get a bus between T3 and T5) . once in T5 follow the signs for flight connections UK & Ireland. There will be a passport check ( go into the non-eu lane) and you will get your photgraph taken together with a boarding pass check. you will then clear security and then go into the departures lounge.

You have 2 lounges Galleries Club North and Galleries Club South.

Just before boarding the Dublin flight you will be asked to stand on two yellow feet painted on the ground and asked to look into the camera and your photo will be compared to the one taken before security.

Your bags will be tagged to Dublin.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Thanks for the quick reply. Since we have something like 5 hours between flights, my wife figures to use the lounge facilities to freshen up, change clothes. The flight to Dublin will be the last of a three flight set (Phx/Denver/London/Dublin and so the layover in the lounge will be of value to us.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Greetings from a fellow Yank. I've made the T5-T3 LHR transfer many times, however I have never been to Dublin. I usually fly out of LHR to Düsseldorf.

Originally Posted by BarryAZ

Exactly. Forget the US system of putting everyone through Customs at the first point of entry. The Europeans do it differently. You will check your bags in Phoenix, then next see them (you hope and pray) in Dublin.

Sadly, Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check do nothing for you in LHR.

I believe that in Dublin, they pre-clear for US Immigration and Customs, so it's possible that your GE and Pre-Check might help you on your way home. I have no personal experience with Dublin. Others on this forum might be able to give you specific advice.

Club World refers to business class seats on the airplane, not to the airline lounge. In LHR, the BA lounges are called "Galleries Club". There are two in LHR. North and South. I will let others comment on the relative merits of the two.

I am assuming from your message you are flying Club World = Business Class. If so, you can be admitted into the Galleries Club lounges. If you are flying Economy, and if you do not hold at least "Sapphire" status with OneWorld, then as far as I know (and I certainly invite correction) there is no way to get into the Galleries Club lounges. They do not sell day passes, as (for example) AA does for its Admirals Club.

Passengers flying international business class (as I assume you are) are admitted into the Galleries Club lounges free of charge.

There is one pay-to-enter lounge in LHR called Aspire. It's located near gate A22. Read all about it in this forum. I have no personal experience with Aspire, other than noticing its entrance as I sat at A22 one day.

The shuttle is very easy. After arrival, just follow the purple Flight Connections signs. You will find yourself at a sort of miniature bus station. Just go to the T5 line, wait a bit, and you'll be on the bus on your way to T5. It's really a no-brainer. Once in T5, just follow the signs to the Dublin connection.

When flying out to DUS, I always have to re-clear security before entering the main departure lounge in T5. Dublin might be different. Other forum members can offer specific and expert advice on this one.

As always, I invite correction from the BA folks who know LHR better than I do. Let me know if I have goofed something up.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
When flying out to DUS, I always have to re-clear security before entering the main departure lounge in T5. Dublin might be different. Other forum members can offer specific and expert advice on this one.
Yes everyone clears security at T5, the only exception are UK domestic passengers arriving at T5. Irish Republic and International passengers clear security at T5 in either direction.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I have my own 'Grandad/Grandma' query. They are flying into T5 from AMS, connecting to LAS flight from T3. I've given them the admirable FT guide to get them to the T5 bus stops, but want to check that the route would be obvious to them once they've got to T3. From browsing here it seems to be up escalators, along 200m and then security is on the right?Are there purple FCC signs all the way?
Old May 5, 2016, 1:24 pm

Yes, in T3 it's totally clear, many people will also be going the same way and I don't think it would be easy to get lost. Don't show them this, but I have done this map thing:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47...g.kFzRCtXoA5T8

You're going from the purple blob to the gold blob.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Excellent, really appreciate your help.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:45 am

What an extremely helpful guide...many thanks for the detailed descriptions. We are looking forward to using the passageways next week!

I have a quick clarification question. We arrive in T5 from Austin and then onward to CDG 85 minutes later. I am clear that if our departing flight is in the same satellite as our arriving flight (5B>5B, eg), then we can complete the Flight Connections process in that terminal. However, what if we end up 5C>5B? Can we still use the satellite connections facility or must we travel up to 5A?

Probably overthinking things but I am nervous that the Austin flight may arrive later than scheduled and would be nice to not have to go to 5A unless necessary. Per quick historical search it was having nice on-time stats but the last few days' performance give me pause.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
5C-5B, you can walk/train to 5B and clear there.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:52 pm

Great...thx so much for the intel BA 6501!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cavluv
What an extremely helpful guide...many thanks for the detailed descriptions. We are looking forward to using the passageways next week!
Thanks for the comment, glad you found it useful.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
The Mrs and I will be flying MUC-LHR-SIN in September. We both have USA Passports and will be flying on BA. We have an 11 hour layover in LHR and would like to jump on the tube and explore London for a couple of hours. 1) Will we have to collect our bags at LHR and take them through customs and recheck them or will they be checked all of the way through to SIN. 2) To get landslide and access to the tube station will we just make our way to T5A, go through immigration and customs then to the international arrivals baggage hall and take the escalator down to the tube station? 3) When we head back to LHR just take the tube to terminal 5 then head to the customs/security and make our way to T5C? I read through the thread and still wasn't sure on some of the answers. I did take some screenshots of some of the pics though to use at the airport if need be. Thanks for the help. Brett

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.