Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by swingaling
Thinking of booking BOS-LHR-ARN for early next year. Then catching an onward flight out of ARN (separate PNR).
Yes, in this situation you may as well go for the tight connection. There won't be passport control, so that won't matter, but there is a security check point. If you don't make it then you would probably arrive in ARN at the same time as the nearest alternative, with the help of BA with hotel accommodation if needed. You don't have anything to lose really, unless you know for sure that the morning flight LHR-ARN is going to be very full. It's just possible that if it is known in BOS that you can't connect (e.g. very late service arriving into BOS from LHR) they may suggest another set of flights for you instead.
swingaling likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by KARFA
The lounge agents can usually see an indicated gate more than an hour before. They may be reluctant to tell passengers in case it changes, but if you ask whether there is an indicated gate but acknowledge it may change then they will usually tell you.

The gate is confirmed and shown on the information screens around 1 hour before. Sometimes you may get an indication much earlier to A, B or C gates but not specifying which one, e.g. will go from C gates.

When you get off the flight there are large information screens after the airbridge in the corridor on the way to the transit system, have a check of them and see whether your gate for DEL is listed.
Just to follow-up, the 1:15 connection was just about perfect.

We arrived about 10 minutes early. My flight was a B747, I was in PE, just behind F (biz was both upstairs and behind, with main cabin at the back of the lower level). I was off the plane within 5-10 min after the door opened (they used the front, through F).

We arrived at T5C, and the screen showed my flight to DEL would leave from T5B. I took the train to there. Absolutely no one else at that security checkpoint. The person who scanned my boarding pass told me the gate (I think 38) but said, "it could change." (it didn't)

I was at the gate at least 20 minutes before boarding even started.

Thanks for letting me know that a 1:15 connection at LHR was doable. ^
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:30 am
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Wow, this resource is absolutely fantastic! Thank you, KARFA!

Just to confirm if my understanding is correct- there is a boarding pass check at T5 when transiting from UK T5 -> INT T3?

I ask as I arrive from Scotland connecting to flying standby on AA and will need to be sure to print that BP beforehand.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pH
Just to confirm if my understanding is correct- there is a boarding pass check at T5 when transiting from UK T5 -> INT T3?
There is, in two places, as you leave the T5 Arrival area (the double doors) and again before T3 security. However it doesn't have to be a boarding pass, an itinerary will also be OK.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:40 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is, in two places, as you leave the T5 Arrival area (the double doors) and again before T3 security. However it doesn't have to be a boarding pass, an itinerary will also be OK.

Thanks so much C-W-S, much appreciated!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pH
Wow, this resource is absolutely fantastic! Thank you, KARFA!

I ask as I arrive from Scotland connecting to flying standby on AA and will need to be sure to print that BP beforehand.
Thanks for your comments pH.

I don’t have anything to add to cws’s post. Enjoy your flights.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all,
If I have the following circumstances:
1. Day: 18 Feb 18 (Sun)
2. Flying BA from TXL-LHR, then on CX 1800 LHR-HKG on separate tickets
3. I can have 1225 or 1350 departure from TXL, arriving at LHR at 1335 or 1455 respectively
4. I know I have to pass through UK border at T5, collect own luggage and recheck at T3.

Do I have high possibility (I know there could always be problem, I have travel insurance as backup) for successful connection if:
a) I got Economy ticket; OR
b) a Club Europe ticket (with fast track immigration, presumably)?
(Funding's not a concern as it's avios redemption)

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcolau317
Hi all,
If I have the following circumstances:
1. Day: 18 Feb 18 (Sun)
2. Flying BA from TXL-LHR, then on CX 1800 LHR-HKG on separate tickets
3. I can have 1225 or 1350 departure from TXL, arriving at LHR at 1335 or 1455 respectively
4. I know I have to pass through UK border at T5, collect own luggage and recheck at T3.

Do I have high possibility (I know there could always be problem, I have travel insurance as backup) for successful connection if:
a) I got Economy ticket; OR
b) a Club Europe ticket (with fast track immigration, presumably)?
(Funding's not a concern as it's avios redemption)

Thanks a lot in advance!
On separate tickets, having to collect and re-check bags, and with a non-EEA passport I would definitely go for the earlier of the two flights if you can.

You should get fast track immigration if arriving in CE at T5 or are a OWE/OWS.

As these are both avios bookings instead of booking separately could you have booked as one ticket? If you booked the LHR-HKG first you could have called to add the TXL-LHR flight to that booking.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:53 am

I'm flying SEA-LHR-JNB shortly before Christmas with a 6 year old. I've booked a Yotelair room for a private nap space and shower. We land around noon in LHR.

Which route would be quickest to get to T4? Landside or airside? We're on US passports. I guess it will probably just depend on how long immigration takes.

Anything else I should be aware off?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by CBear
I'm flying SEA-LHR-JNB shortly before Christmas with a 6 year old. I've booked a Yotelair room for a private nap space and shower. We land around noon in LHR.
Assuming you don't have to collect luggage at LHR, then airside will be the fastest, the bus ride takes about 16 minutes, you then clear the UK Border at T4.

On the return to T5 you will have to do so landside, since you can't enter T4 with T5's boarding passes. There is a landside public bus service 482/490 or the Heathrow Express, however you will have to change at T3 (stay on the platform usually). Both take about 20 minutes, but HEX runs at 15 minute intervals and the bus slightly more frequently. Both are free of charge.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If you need to collect bags you have to go landside.

If you do not need to collect bags then airside to T4 should be quicker as :

1/ the buses will be more frequent

2/ The buses will be direct - the tube / train options would require a change

3/ The airside buses will not stop anywhere en route - the landside local service buses would make a couple of stops
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:57 pm

On separate tickets, having to collect and re-check bags, and with a non-EEA passport I would definitely go for the earlier of the two flights if you can.

You should get fast track immigration if arriving in CE at T5 or are a OWE/OWS.

As these are both avios bookings instead of booking separately could you have booked as one ticket? If you booked the LHR-HKG first you could have called to add the TXL-LHR flight to that booking.
Yes, both are avios booking.
Never though of that(!) I'll try calling later! In this case, is the MCT of 90 mins apply at LHR?
Can I get the APD refunded in this case and deduct on other taxes/fees?

Thanks a lot KARFA!!! You made my day!!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Yes, both are avios booking.
Never though of that(!) I'll try calling later! In this case, is the MCT of 90 mins apply at LHR?
Can I get the APD refunded in this case and deduct on other taxes/fees?

Thanks a lot KARFA!!! You made my day!!
So if you already have your TXL-LHR booking the problem is you can't merge the bookings. Instead basically you would be cancelling the TXL-LHR booking (and paying the cancellation fee out of the cash component already paid when booking). Assuming there is reward availability still on the TXL-LHR you would be changing that to add it on and paying a change fee of £35 per passenger and any extra taxes/fees/charges.

The advantage of doing it that you are on one ticket so getting the later TXL flight wouldn't be a problem since you are protected. Also your bag would now be checked through to HKG and you wouldn't have to see it at LHR. You could also avoid any immigration queues at LHR since if you take the airside bus transfer from T5 to T3 you wouldn't go through immigration at LHR.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:15 am

So if you already have your TXL-LHR booking the problem is you can't merge the bookings. Instead basically you would be cancelling the TXL-LHR booking (and paying the cancellation fee out of the cash component already paid when booking). Assuming there is reward availability still on the TXL-LHR you would be changing that to add it on and paying a change fee of £35 per passenger and any extra taxes/fees/charges.

The advantage of doing it that you are on one ticket so getting the later TXL flight wouldn't be a problem since you are protected. Also your bag would now be checked through to HKG and you wouldn't have to see it at LHR. You could also avoid any immigration queues at LHR since if you take the airside bus transfer from T5 to T3 you wouldn't go through immigration at LHR.
I haven't book that segment yet, and want to add one.
Interestingly, when I tried calling BA (US hotline, as HK hotline is closed), the lady said I can only change destination "like-for-like", so TXL is a no (different zone).
Hmmmmm...... HUCA?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

I haven't book that segment yet, and want to add one.
Interestingly, when I tried calling BA (US hotline, as HK hotline is closed), the lady said I can only change destination "like-for-like", so TXL is a no (different zone).
Hmmmmm...... HUCA?
Interesting. So they are saying because LHR-HKG would be a different zone pricing than TXL-HKG you can't do it?

I would have suggested there is no change in destination and the longhaul flight remains exactly the same. LHR-HKG is down on BA as 5979 miles. There is a zone break at 5500 miles but as there is no TXL-HKG route there is no mileage on BA for it. gcmap says it would be 5440 miles though.

Now I am beginning to doubt my own advice here. Previously adding a UK domestic flight to an existing flight would be ok but that would be within the same zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.