Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A bit of an announcement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:37 am

Sorry to see you go. It's always sad to say to a colleague. All the best for your future endeavours.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by stu1985
You could jump ship and let us know!

Go on......
I learnt long ago that when you start to loathe the company you work for it's time to leave. Surely it's better elsewhere, otherwise you wouldn't be staying right?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonas123
I learnt long ago that when you start to loathe the company you work for it's time to leave. Surely it's better elsewhere, otherwise you wouldn't be staying right?
That's exactly it. I've always said that once I don't enjoy it anymore I'll leave and that's what I've done. I love the job per se, I just don't like the way we were being treated so I'd rather go do something else.

I do have a temporary job but I'm open to offers
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Some of that depends on your pension situation, and how long you've been with a company, and how old you are too… good luck with new ventures though...
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:33 pm

In principle this is good advice, I think. However, whilst the expression 'golden cage' is too extreme, for legacy fleet it can be hard to leave when you love your job and you may have to take a pay/benefits cut working elsewhere.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
That's exactly it. I've always said that once I don't enjoy it anymore I'll leave and that's what I've done. I love the job per se, I just don't like the way we were being treated so I'd rather go do something else.

I do have a temporary job but I'm open to offers
My husband thought that in his last job, after being in the same company doing the same line of work for close to 10 years and with all the internal changes. However, it wasn't until he got a new job internally did his perception change and for the better. Now doing a different job, working with a new team he loves working for the company more than he ever has before and even feels more secure in his new role.

Yesitsme, all the best with your pastures new. Will you still be staying in the industry? I know of one crew member who has actually going to work on a private jet and word has it that some very elite charter companies prefer to only hire BA crew.

Merry Christmas everyone
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Back on topic, it is really disturbing that things are so bad that people are feeling that they have to end their careers with BA prematurely. I hope that they all find fulfilling other careers or have enjoyable retirements.
The days of a job for life ended years ago especially in the service industry sector.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Some of that depends on your pension situation, and how long you've been with a company, and how old you are too… good luck with new ventures though...
At some point the pension and length of service doesn't come into it - one just wants out...
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
At some point the pension and length of service doesn't come into it - one just wants out...
I know exactly how you feel, I worked for 21 years at Royal Mail. I loved the work, the customers were fantastic, but the company and management turned the job into an everyday nightmare. I used to see colleagues crying at times. There comes a point when enough is enough.

I still miss the customers though.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:38 pm

Dedicated, loyal staff, passengers and suppliers always come a poor second to shareholders.

I did 13 years in the Inland Revenue and the dumbing down of processes, constant changes, streamlining, thick as 5hit management and cost cutting was enough for me to realise life is too short to stay anywhere one resents.

These days it's not just Google who find it pi55 easy to evade/avoid paying their taxes.

Lowest common denominater business model.

They'll be part flogged to Cryanair within a decade.

Good luck to the BA leavers and please share your experience on this forum. It might motivate me to take my custom elsewhere?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
In principle this is good advice, I think. However, whilst the expression 'golden cage' is too extreme, for legacy fleet it can be hard to leave when you love your job and you may have to take a pay/benefits cut working elsewhere.
I think this is an interesting comment. If moving to Virgin, EasyJet, RyanAir or other carriers involves a pay cut, doesn't it demonstrate the problem BA has? Ultimately they are a business, and if they are paying staff significantly more than their competitors, it's understandable why they are making changes.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes and we all know most on here only fly AA domestic F for cheap tier points.
Bugger the tier points - they've put EZE in J within my reach. The penalty is a longer journey, but most of it in guaranteed aisle-access, lie-flat comfort: with sundaes
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Not all bad news ?

Sad as some of it may sound, do all of these people still retain the BA perk of cheap, stand by flights being available, or it that retirees only ?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:30 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Sad as some of it may sound, do all of these people still retain the BA perk of cheap, stand by flights being available, or it that retirees only ?
I'm not sure why this should even matter. Airline staff don't have a complete monopoly on lucrative perks.

It's one part of a total package. If one part of it is sufficiently diminished - it should not be a surprise when some consider the total to no longer add up and start to look elsewhere.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Several airlines pay their crew more than BA LGW crew.

Most of us get to keep staff travel for a set period, however it isn't as cheap as people think. Also, we'd be onloaded last as former employees have the lowest priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.