Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Do codeshares ever get opups?

I was unable to select a seat for BA285 to SFO purchased with the IB flight number. Checked in this morning on IB (as they are operating my MAD-LHR leg) and got assigned 33K. I like the window so I'm happy with the assignment but I'm still wondering what my chances are of a magic beep to CW. I'm IB Platino (OWE) if that matters, too.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Yup

My one and only opup so far was on a ba flight from lhr to jfk... Full cw got me to first on an iberia ticket.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
ET to CE on MAD-LHR today.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Flew a WTP open jaw LHR-YYZ, JFK-LHR. Well, booked it, flew CW on both legs courtesy of BA.

WTP really is the sweet spot for op ups it seems
GeeMac likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Do codeshares ever get opups?

I was unable to select a seat for BA285 to SFO purchased with the IB flight number. Checked in this morning on IB (as they are operating my MAD-LHR leg) and got assigned 33K. I like the window so I'm happy with the assignment but I'm still wondering what my chances are of a magic beep to CW. I'm IB Platino (OWE) if that matters, too.
I certainly get upgrades on BA metal with codeshared bookings. If that's the Monday departure, then that looks to my amateur eyes to be an overbooked, probably oversold 747. SuperJ, fortunately, so even if you aren't upgraded then you're in a fairly decent rig, at least in terms of the IFE. It may be that BA have given you a lowly CIV since I believe you do a bit of BA travel, but I suspect you're not high up the pecking order. If you were BA Gold I'd be in the future chicken counting game frankly. WTP is full already, about 4 seats left in WT (which means zip seat really) and a handful of seats upfront. My guess that flight will go out completely full, and staff standbys on jumpseats.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I certainly get upgrades on BA metal with codeshared bookings. If that's the Monday departure, then that looks to my amateur eyes to be an overbooked, probably oversold 747. SuperJ, fortunately, so even if you aren't upgraded then you're in a fairly decent rig, at least in terms of the IFE. It may be that BA have given you a lowly CIV since I believe you do a bit of BA travel, but I suspect you're not high up the pecking order. If you were BA Gold I'd be in the future chicken counting game frankly. WTP is full already, about 4 seats left in WT (which means zip seat really) and a handful of seats upfront. My guess that flight will go out completely full, and staff standbys on jumpseats.
Thanks for the analysis. I do wonder how they handle CIV scores for non BAEC members. Particularly with IB and AA as clearly they partner quite a bit. Unfortunately our travel policy is Y only and I only managed to get W because I've got a knee injury (so CW would certainly be appreciated) But I do quite a bit of Y/B/H flying so I would hope that counts for something even if it's mostly in the back.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Thanks for the analysis. I do wonder how they handle CIV scores for non BAEC members. Particularly with IB and AA as clearly they partner quite a bit. Unfortunately our travel policy is Y only and I only managed to get W because I've got a knee injury (so CW would certainly be appreciated) But I do quite a bit of Y/B/H flying so I would hope that counts for something even if it's mostly in the back.
That sounds like a CIV=3 to me, which, well, isn't a lot, but better than 0 or indeed null.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Another wind-up: at the first wing check in this morning, the nice lady gleefully says 'Ah Mr CKBA, we have a new seat for you...' In response to my clearly eager expectation she exclaimed.... 'it's 35K'. Oh, I said, the same seat... (okay my usual 767 seat....).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:25 am

Well my cautious optimism needed more caution and less optimism. I'm sat firmly in 33K.

Though WTP is an upgrade for my normal travels so i do still appreciate it.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:47 am

Flying to NYC on BA0115 tomorrow- 2.30pm. Just seen been upgraded from WTP to club. I am gold and my husband is sliver. We haven't been upgraded for years as we usually fly in the highest cabin available. So very chuffed. BA holiday (flight and car).

Oddly, I looked at the booking as the tier points for the booking had gone up? Any idea why? They seem to have added the extra 50 tier points for club.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Oct 26, 2018 at 4:15 am
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Flying to NYC on BA0115 tomorrow- 2.30pm. Just seen been upgraded from WTP to club. I am gold and my husband is sliver. We haven't been upgraded for years as we usually fly in the highest cabin available. So very chuffed. BA holiday (flight and car).

Oddly, I looked at the booking as the tier points for the booking had gone up? Any idea why? They seem to have added the extra 50 tier points for club.
You will probably find that this is an error in MMB and the correct points / avios will be applied afterwards...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
You will probably find that this is an error in MMB and the correct points / avios will be applied afterwards...

Thanks, we don't need TPs so just curious
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
So day trip to London yesterday and took advantage of the £69 upgrade each way (decent offer and extra TP’s alone make reasonable value)

flying BA1307 this morning en route to Doha booked on a QR flight code and got upgraded to Club Europe, first upgrade in a wee while.... Only to LHR but flight jammed so a wee perk to start my day.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yay.... after 120k miles and 14 months, finally an (official) upgrade. LHR-BWI after a change from a 788 to 789. Saw that I lost my empty neighbouring seat, then in the First Wing the agent tore up my old boarding pass... . :-))

Last edited by CKBA; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:10 am
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I have a number of these now.

2 out of 3 of my LHR-JFK W have been upped to J.

KRK-LHR - both myself and my travelling companion put in the last row of CE instead of first row of ET.

DUB-LCY bumped to CE, likely due to an earlier flight that had mechanical problems and filling up our flight with their pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.