Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I have been flying with b a since they took over bmi's BHD to LHR route and moved up and down between Gold and Bronze a few times. I may fly 6 times in one year and 20 times in others but now that retirement arrives I doubt that I will get a sniff of even my first one!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:01 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:41 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
GLA-LGW ET->CE at boarding (and got row 1 so extra bonus). Following flight cancelled so lots of pax moved to the service I was on.

Interestingly, on the ET->CE I was informed at the gate I wouldn't be catered, which was fully understandable. Expected load was 4 and actual load was 12. In fact, CSD offered me breakfast but was unable to offer it to anyone else.

First ever short haul op-up tho I've had decent luck on long hauls. I was thinking the runes were looking decent for an op-up on the long haul I was connecting to, as WTP seemed a fair bit oversold, but I panicked and AUPed thinking I'd used my luck

EDIT: To clarify, no breakfast was offered to anyone else who was upgraded. All the paid CE got theirs!

Last edited by BertieBadger; Jun 8, 2018 at 3:44 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
SEA-LHR-SEA J>F
Not the last week's, but wanted to share my J>F upgrade experience on one of the MF routes. Got an op-up on both outbound and inbound legs. If one of the BA's objectives was to give me a taste of F and switch my travel to First, well, they failed miserably. Obviously the seats are nicer (got 4A and 2A), but service was subpar.
- Was just waved towards F cabin on boarding, crew couldn't be bothered to walk me to the seat;
- On outbound leg never got my welcome drink, got my washbag, PJs, and menu 40 minutes into the flight. Order was taken when we were 2 hours into the flight and, obviously, "dine when it suits you" was not even mentioned. Finally got my meal after an hour of waiting, ate my stuff in 30 minutes, waited another half an hour and then just took the tray back to the galey; did my bed and went to sleep.
- Woke up 40 minutes before landing, put my matress, duvet and pillow back into the bin. No breakfast offered.
Admittedly that was a very full cabin with only two members of cabin crew looking after 14 passengers.

On inbound leg, same "serve yourself to your seat" approach
- Was asked when and what I would like to eat. Requested to have my meal (mixed greens salad and beef ) served 2 hours before landing
- Changed into PJs, by the time I was back my bed was done. Watched a movie and dozed off.
- Woke up 3 hours before landing. Cabin still dark, no crew members around. Changed to my clothes, cleaned my bed and patiently waited for someone to show up. 1:20 minutes before landing approached by a crew member, who asked if I would like something, I replied that, yes, would love my beef. She replied they didn't have any left but she would ask if they had anything left in CW. Came back and told me they had nothing left either, so she can offer a coffee and a desert. Asked about a cheese plate, was told they didn't have it. Settled for a quick salad and a coffee. Well, at least she did collect my tray before landing, unfortunately leaving me no time to finish my coffee.
So, will I ever book F after this experience - defintely not. I much prefer my 15K on B777 and guaranteed food service in CW to that kind of treatment in F.

Last edited by luitje; Jun 8, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by luitje
SEA-LHR-SEA J>F
Not the last week's, but wanted to share my J>F upgrade experience on one of the MF routes. Got an op-up on both outbound and inbound legs. If one of the BA's objectives was to give me a taste of F and switch my travel to First, well, they failed miserably. Obviously the seats are nicer (got 4A and 2A), but service was subpar.
- Was just waved towards F cabin on boarding, crew couldn't be bothered to walk me to the seat;
- On outbound leg never got my welcome drink, got my washbag, PJs, and menu 40 minutes into the flight. Order was taken when we were 2 hours into the flight and, obviously, "dine when it suits you" was not even mentioned. Finally got my meal after an hour of waiting, ate my stuff in 30 minutes, waited another half an hour and then just took the tray back to the galey; did my bed and went to sleep.
- Woke up 40 minutes before landing, put my matress, duvet and pillow back into the bin. No breakfast offered.
Admittedly that was a very full cabin with only two members of cabin crew looking after 14 passengers.

On inbound leg, same "serve yourself to your seat" approach
- Was asked when and what I would like to eat. Requested to have my meal (mixed greens salad and beef ) served 2 hours before landing
- Changed into PJs, by the time I was back my bed was done. Watched a movie and dozed off.
- Woke up 3 hours before landing. Cabin still dark, no crew members around. Changed to my clothes, cleaned my bed and patiently waited for someone to show up. 1:20 minutes before landing approached by a crew member, who asked if I would like something, I replied that, yes, would love my beef. She replied they didn't have any left but she will ask if they had anything lefy in CW. Came back and told me they had nothing left either, so she can offer a coffee and a desert. Asked about a cheese plate, was told they didn't have it. Settled for a quick salad and a coffee. Well, at least she did collect my tray before landing, unfortunately leaving me no time to finish my coffee.
So, will I ever book F after this experience - defintely not. I much prefer my 15K on B777 and guaranteed food service in CW to that kind of treatment in F.
regardless of whether this was an op-up or not your experience sounds awful

and I agree with you, your unlikely to want to try F again with BA, but maybe you’ve had bad luck - I’ve only had one poor F flight Lhr to yyz but that was when strikes were taking place

the cabin was full but compared to your experience it wasn’t that bad
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:21 am

OpUp to CE yesterday afternoon on LHR-ZRH successfully negotiated back to my ET exit row seat - some other poor sod can have their knees tucked under their chin ^
'andad and Scallywag72 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: BAEC : GGL; HHonors : Diamond
I had an OpUp on LHR-AMS last week, but what I thought more interesting was that the First check-in agent didn't know that I had been upgraded. It was only when I checked the BP and said to her, thanks for the upgrade, that she then looked into the booking and said that their new system no longer informs them of the OpUp unless they physically go into the booking, which she did and then said she could see that Y was showing -4 so I'd been selected for upgrade because of my GGL status.

That seems crazy to me, as it's a nice opportunity for BA to inform you of the upgrade.

We chatted a bit about upgrades and she said that they now have zero influence about getting someone upgraded but she did confirm that their system will select passengers for an upgrade who maybe have not flown in the upgraded cabin, but that on oversold flight generally will be down to the passengers status as to order of being selected for upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by timcjp
I had an OpUp on LHR-AMS last week, but what I thought more interesting was that the First check-in agent didn't know that I had been upgraded. It was only when I checked the BP and said to her, thanks for the upgrade, that she then looked into the booking and said that their new system no longer informs them of the OpUp unless they physically go into the booking, which she did and then said she could see that Y was showing -4 so I'd been selected for upgrade because of my GGL status.

That seems crazy to me, as it's a nice opportunity for BA to inform you of the upgrade.

We chatted a bit about upgrades and she said that they now have zero influence about getting someone upgraded but she did confirm that their system will select passengers for an upgrade who maybe have not flown in the upgraded cabin, but that on oversold flight generally will be down to the passengers status as to order of being selected for upgrade.
FLY should show it as a seat change, but as you say I don't think it makes it explicit it may be an OpUp.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:27 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by timcjp
She did confirm that their system will select passengers for an upgrade who maybe have not flown in the upgraded cabin,.
I think I may have benefited from this a couple of times (TA and BA where there were no obvious OpUp or other reasons). The trouble is it works. From a Y passenger I have now become someone who (for pleasure where I have a choice) now normally books J even though it's 3x the price. And of course no more random upgrades
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
two upgrades for me this week - one most welcome, one a tad embarrassing.

TLV - LHR on Sunday. flight was looking very very full according to EF and a very welcome shift from the dormitory to F.

Monday, lots of people in my industry all flew to Munich for a big conference (the European 'who is who' (ish) in my industry) and i got bumped to CE which meant that there were a lot of peers, supplies and competitors wondering why I was travelling in front of the curtain.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
I got WTP to CW upgrades on *BOTH* legs of my five-day LHR-PVG trip.

Maybe the computer does note when you're banking heavy with BA (over 2000TP in 10 weeks this TP year thus far). Who knows, all I know is I was chuffed.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I got WTP to CW upgrades on *BOTH* legs of my five-day LHR-PVG trip.

Maybe the computer does note when you're banking heavy with BA (over 2000TP in 10 weeks this TP year thus far). Who knows, all I know is I was chuffed.
That is some going. Serious points on the go there!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
ET > CE DUB to LHR on Tuesday this week, it was handy as I didn't have time to eat breakfast in the lounge so the free CE breakfast was a welcome surprise.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
LHR-EDI on an early flight. Short, but enough time to enjoy a couple of croissants and tea.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:16 am

I got upgrades - WTP -> CW - both ways last week on my way to & from LHR / SFO - First upgrades I have had in years!

First one just appeared on my app on the way to LHR - the lady who checked in my baggage didnt make any mention (which feels like a big missed opportunity for BA) - the second was very last minute as I was boarding and I got the "beep"!

I presuming they were connected to very busy planes due to the San Jose cancellations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.