Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
After nothing for 2 years and no international upgrades in nearly 3 years, got the beep at the gate for my SYD-SIN. Agent called over her manager as wasn't sure what was happening. The manager was trying to work it out when I saw on her screen that I was moved to 2F.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
After nothing for 2 years and no international upgrades in nearly 3 years, got the beep at the gate for my SYD-SIN. Agent called over her manager as wasn't sure what was happening. The manager was trying to work it out when I saw on her screen that I was moved to 2F.
I'm in the lounge right now waiting for my SIN-SYD flight in Y. Being bumped to 2F would be a dream come true right now.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I've been upgraded quite a bit on BA and AA (and also on a recent flight with MH). The only Oneworld airline I fly regularly or semi-regularly that has never upgraded me is Qantas and theirs is the program that actually earns me Oneworld Emerald status each year. I'm not sure if there's something about my profile that makes me a target for random upgrades but the regularity with which it happens definitely seems unusual.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
First upgrade in five months as GGL.

FRA-LCY: particularly full due to the cancellation and rebooking of people from last night's cancelled BA913 FRA-LHR (including me).

Rebooked at 10.30 p.m. and got 12A, app updated around 6.30 a.m. This was also the first time I was able to generate my own new boarding pass from the app and into Apple Wallet after the seat change, as well.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Friday BA188 EWR-LHR. Upgraded from CW->F at the gate (well it was actually about an hour beforehand as I noticed my seat had changed to 1F on the BA app). A short overnight flight but still welcome, best part was being able to access CRR at LHR as I had a 5 hour layover, so I enjoyed breakfast, lunch and a few glasses of LPGS

My outbound BA189 was a 4 class 787, operating a 3 class service, and I managed to get an F seat in that service. So not bad getting F both ways (albiet just the F seat on the way out).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
First in a looooonnnnnggggg time ... Sunday 4th November MIA-LHR BA210 from WTP to CW
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
This week I had an upgrade from WT+ to CW on the Heathrow-Chicago route on a B747-86J. Noticed the upgrade about four hours before check-in opened. I had been allocated an aisle seat towards the back of the main cabin and then managed to move to the upper deck so really seemed like two upgrades. As always much appreciated

Last edited by Yellowbelly; Nov 6, 2018 at 12:26 am Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Three years gold (thanks FT!), many years silver and the first long haul upgrade last week since I was a lowly blue! Just had the boarding call in GF at ORD on the last evening flight, got a call for me to go to the front desk before heading to the gate. CW to F, which was a result giving me a bit more room to sleep, and pleasing my daughter who really likes a fresh set of F PJs every now and then!

Strangely enough, I was on an AA codeshare ticket, rather than BA which I rather expected would have reduced my chances of an upgrade.
THEOBCMAN likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Had my annual ET-CE upgrade tonight AMS-LHR, luckily it was to 1A and thus avoided a battle to regain my exit row spot!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Another WTP to CW on the BA27 (LHR-HKG) a few days ago, that makes it 2/2 on that flight in the span of just a few weeks.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:16 am

Pleasantly surprised to be upgraded from CW to First on BA52 yesterday (SEA to LHR). Second free upgrade in my life. Bit surprised, as I am a lowly Bronze status.

Wondering if their algorithms take into account being messed around on the way out? That flight was overbooked, I got downgraded to WT+, then moved back up to CW at the very last minute...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
In four years I think had three op ups, two from WTP-CW on LHR-DXB and one on AMS-LHR all on paid tickets. Yet in last couple of years I've flown on more reward tickets. Would say a BA Blue on a revenue ticket be more likely to get upgraded than a BA Gold on a redemption ticket?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
ET to CE on DUB-LHR couple days ago, upgraded at checkin. then got upgraded J-F on boarding LHR-SEA later the same day
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott LTP
ET to CE AGP to LHR last week, both Mrs anyuser and me so both very happy. Funnily enough our ET seats remained empty so not sure why. Appeared in app while at the gate and this was a BA holidays booking.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing
In four years I think had three op ups, two from WTP-CW on LHR-DXB and one on AMS-LHR all on paid tickets. Yet in last couple of years I've flown on more reward tickets. Would say a BA Blue on a revenue ticket be more likely to get upgraded than a BA Gold on a redemption ticket?
Probably not. more likely. for economy (Y) award a GCH could well receive WTP over a paid ticket of ba-blue customer.

I needed to find a last minute 1-way LHR-Asia trip recently, and due to BA's 1-way gouging airfares, I only do 1-way on BA using award. Nothing available not even the usual extra Y awards for GCH only, then 3days out saw/got a Y-Award for GCH hoders only. Received my only ever longhaul BA OpUp on that Y award, (ie non ET-CE) at LHR gate to WTP on that award. Very greatful as was not in an exit Y seat. as ticketted after t-72

On other hand often no OpUps possible for me before that very flight, as typically fly CW in a BA 3-class plane (or sometimes F in 4class) , so can't be opupped anyway on my longhauls.

Have also been in CW and lost the usual 'fly blocked adjacent to a GCH seat to a very happy, alas chatty, non-status wtp-cw opup'd passenger..
ThrowingBoeing likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.