Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:37 pm

Sad news. Very helpful app. So sorry and wishing Chris thanks, all the best for the future.
MyFlights App likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Another option

sad to see it go. As an infrequent traveler I just used the free version. Is there an alternative free version that does the same/similar thing

rob
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
How very sad, I've particularly liked the new paid version which has also given me operational updates on my U2 flights as well as all the Amadeus-hosted bookings. If this is due to GDPR, I'm sure they could have found a way to accommodate it, but I guess it was more effort than Amadeus wished to make.

Chris, I can only add to the thanks expressed by others, your efforts have given much peace of mind to those of us who fly a little (or a lot). Good luck with the next venture.
Calchas and MyFlights App like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:29 pm

This sucks - checkmytrip has been totally destroyed with an ugly GUI that hides important information and spams useless information.

Can we please get an alternative that is suitable for those not interested in the currency/weather at destination?
Calchas and MyFlights App like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Why do the best apps always go first? I can only add numbers to the two messages that have been echoed so many times already: sad for Chris as it must be heartbreaking to have to end an adventure in which he’s put so much work and skill; and sad for myself: this was a stunning app for frequent flyers and I have become addicted over the years as I’m sure many have. It’s hard to imagine losing such an intuitive and helpful tool. Good luck with whatever other adventure you will be focusing on and let’s hope it’s still connected to the world of travelling!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Very sad. I’ve only started using it these past few months and it’s been very helpful. Thanks for your work.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I can only really echo what everyone else has said - this is/was an unbelievably useful tool in a world where airlines seem to have lost the will (or more likely the ability) to give us easy access to information about our flight changes. Thank you to Chris and team for all their work, and I'm sorry it's ended this way for you.

On a slightly related note, could GDPR cause problems for the wonderful ba97.com site as well?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I don't fly that often, but this app has been incredibly useful over the years, not just in its alerts, but giving all the ticketing information etc. and having it all in one place. Thanks to the alerts, I've been able to get out ahead of schedule changes, long before the airline has contacted me. Thanks for providing such a great service.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
On a slightly related note, could GDPR cause problems for the wonderful ba97.com site as well?
As its the ba97 user who chooses to input flight details, without any scraping of Airline systems to generate updates, I doubt there's a problem.

Last edited by T8191; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:08 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Hi Chris/schofs - really sorry to see this go, and many thanks for everything you've put into it over the years. And thanks for keeping it going until the middle of 2018 to allow us access to historic data.

Originally Posted by Jase76
Will there be a way to export the bookings I have in MyFlights?
Just to echo this. Putting in additional functionality is probably the last thing you want to do at this stage, but if there were an easy way to add a button to the site which would allow us to download all our raw data in one dump - format doesn't even matter so much - that would be great!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:14 am

Very sad to hear this. Although I fly infrequently, the app is invaluable, and will be deeply missed. I second the comments about data density, ease of use etc. - this is something that large companies often overlook.

​​​​​​I’m also very sorry for schofs, who put a lot of time and effort into the app, including the ‘negotiating with data providers’ side of things. He went above and beyond to build and (most importantly) to maintain a useful tool, engaging with the community on here as well. I wish you success in your other/future ventures!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
very sad news Chris, I got the email yesterday and like the others, I was disappointed by this, I know you have spend a long time on myflights and the app was amazing.

We wish you best in your next venture
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:46 am

I only came across MyFlights this year so I was relatively late to the party, but it has already become invaluable to me and is one of my most-used apps. Such a shame.

I have to say, I’m a bit disappointed with Amadeus’ approach here. While I’m far from a data protection expert, if this restriction was really required by GDPR then wouldn’t it have had to be implemented immediately (i.e. with Amadeus invoking an Applicable Law clause to restrict access) rather than waiting for the contract to renew? It strikes me that this could well be a commercial decision dressed up as a regulatory change. If so, that’s poor (and anti-competitive) form from Amadeus to try and drive custom to CheckMyTrip.

Thanks again Chris. I hope that the TA version of MyFlights works out for you, as it would be a real shame for such a useful tool to go to complete waste.

Best, Richard

(EDIT: Just realised that GDPR doesn’t come into effect until May 2018. That makes a bit more sense...)

Last edited by hearingdouble; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:56 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I'd like to echo the thanks on here for the MyFlights app. I only used it relatively recently but was already very useful.

In terms of PNR security and withdrawal of airlines permission for third parties to access this information, I think Amadeus and the airlines are taking another uncomfortable step in removing transparency from travellers. As the traveller and the purchaser of a reservation, I and only I should have control of the reservation within the contractual framework I enter into with the travel provider or airline. If I tell them to make this information available to third parties, like MyFlights, then they should do so.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Stylewars
This sucks - checkmytrip has been totally destroyed with an ugly GUI that hides important information and spams useless information.

Can we please get an alternative that is suitable for those not interested in the currency/weather at destination?
https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.