Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New rates are now in force [thread for discussions about the changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:49 pm
NCL

Programs: HH Diamond, BA blue, Virgin flying club silver, Skywards silver, SPG Platinum, Marriott silver.
I made a booking on the 27th for travel next January and when I was at the pre purchase stage it showed I would earn avios at the old rate, I then proceeded to book the flights, however I have just noticed upon logging in to "manage my booking" today it states I will only earn the new reduced rate. My only other current live booking made a few months ago remains unchanged.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NCL
I made a booking on the 27th for travel next January and when I was at the pre purchase stage it showed I would earn avios at the old rate, I then proceeded to book the flights, however I have just noticed upon logging in to "manage my booking" today it states I will only earn the new reduced rate. My only other current live booking made a few months ago remains unchanged.
The MMB system that displays the TPs/Avios and the system that eventually allocates them are separate - they should both have the same rules coded into them, but patently don't.

So, I'm not saying you will get the correct amount (I'd not be surprised if people have to retro-claim) but don't assume it'll be wrong just because MMB gives the wrong amount.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: FT
yup. unless you have a 2:4:1 to burn, the changes are very painful. glad i burned about 510,000 miles before the change. I still have about 320K although I have two 2:4:1's so its not horrible yet. CW to LHR from YYZ was 100,000 before the last round when they kicked me in the balls for redemptions to the far east from YYZ, but the LHR to YYZ went down to 80,000 r/t so at least it has only gone up to 120,000.

i was pretending it was no so bad so i would not be so pissed but now that it has taken place, yes, 105,000 from YYZ to HKG in J sucks big time....
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well I wouldn't say that 'all' leaves any more room for manoeuvre than 'any' here. Both sentences are equally unambiguous. All, any and every booking qualifies.

If Max's caveat is correct, there can be absolutely no excuse for BA omitting this above.
Incidentally (and for waht it's worth), I was just on the phone to the SilverLine on a different matter but brought up The Question again at the end.
"I booked Qatar in mid-April to fly in October. Can you confirm I will get pre-28th Avios/TPs once flown and will you/EC actually know when I made the booking or would you want me to put a note in my file?"
Answer:" Of course you will get pre-28th Avios/TPs on the partner airline and the system will know the booking date, there will be no problem. If you experience any problems in October, please call back but I can assure you that pre-28th rates will apply."
The guy sounded slightly bemused (since I apologised for he must have heard this question a 1000 times recently) and not the slightest in doubt.
We'll see...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by overseasplease
Incidentally (and for waht it's worth), I was just on the phone to the SilverLine on a different matter but brought up The Question again at the end.
"I booked Qatar in mid-April to fly in October. Can you confirm I will get pre-28th Avios/TPs once flown and will you/EC actually know when I made the booking or would you want me to put a note in my file?"
Answer:" Of course you will get pre-28th Avios/TPs on the partner airline and the system will know the booking date, there will be no problem. If you experience any problems in October, please call back but I can assure you that pre-28th rates will apply."
The guy sounded slightly bemused (since I apologised for he must have heard this question a 1000 times recently) and not the slightest in doubt.
We'll see...
Good to know. Let's see what happens - my guess (as others have said up thread) is there'll be a lot of postings at the lower rates but people who persist should get the right outcome. Please do post experiences here.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL

I have a redemption one way booking to Berlin with a free domestic connection made before 28 April.

What changes can I make?

If I change the date/time (subject to availability), is it free, as I'm GGL? Or do I get charged the new Avios rates and have to 'pay' for the connection?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL
It should be treated with the rules in effect at the time of booking, so no change in Avios rates and you will retain the free domestic sector. Also, as a GGL member there will be no cost to change.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL

Thanks Filthy. I'm pretty sure, when booking, it mentioned changing the booking to peak and off-peak days and how Avios might need to be adjusted. Maybe this is now the rule and was just added to the screen ahead of the changes so I got confused.

Can I change the destination? A different band?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:34 pm

Not happy with these changes. WT+ to CW was probably a bit of a bargain pre-changes, but to increase the avios requirement by 200% is a complete joke.

It's all very well having more award seats available but it's useless if you don't have enough avios to use them.

I'll be Gold in June and I wish I had joined the AA program to be honest as I don't think I will be flying much with BA any more.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by johnbonham
It's all very well having more award seats available but it's useless if you don't have enough avios to use them.
Well, that makes a change from people saying that it's all very well having bucket loads of Avios but it's useless if there aren't enough award seats to spend them on.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by johnbonham
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Well, that makes a change from people saying that it's all very well having bucket loads of Avios but it's useless if there aren't enough award seats to spend them on.
I've kept pretty quiet on all the changes and I know I'm probably in a small minority but with a large sackful of replenishing Avios and armed with GUFs it's really not that bad for me provided more availability in premium cabins is actually forthcoming. And if not there's always the jokers while I'm GGL for the next few years.

I recognize I'm in a small minority and I'm in no way trying to convince anyone that this isn't a significant programme devaluation. It is! It's just that I appear to be in a sweet spot at the moment.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BAEC
I have not found this answered in any of the relevant threads. For bookings made prior to April 28th, upgraded/travelled after, will points for a UuA be calculated at the old rate or the new, higher rate?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jrmwhistler
I have not found this answered in any of the relevant threads. For bookings made prior to April 28th, upgraded/travelled after, will points for a UuA be calculated at the old rate or the new, higher rate?
The award is being issued after the date of change, so would be (iirc) at the new rate
Old May 1, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Before I call (and they file my query under "Stupid Customer"), I booked a LHR-JNB-LHR in CW last week (before the changes). 2 F seats were available on 29th April so I called up to upgrade and was told "Yes, 25,000 more Avios". Fine. I see that 45,000 Avios have been deducted. Is this because of the new changes or a mistake?

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by stu1985
Before I call (and they file my query under "Stupid Customer"), I booked a LHR-JNB-LHR in CW last week (before the changes). 2 F seats were available on 29th April so I called up to upgrade and was told "Yes, 25,000 more Avios". Fine. I see that 45,000 Avios have been deducted. Is this because of the new changes or a mistake?

Thanks!
Have you upgraded both legs, and travelling on off-peak award dates?

If so you'll have been charged 22,500 each way so 45,000 total - this is actually one of the few (relative) bargains under the new rates compared to the old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.