Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New rates are now in force [thread for discussions about the changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rates are now in force [thread for discussions about the changes]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by skrosvik
Strange they didnt announce the AB changes then... At 25000 Avios you were even picked up by a limo at your hotel in Berlin prior to departure...hehe, the deal was too good. But still, they should have announced these changes - and not claim that nothing has changed with their partner airlines.
They did announce it. The website made clear that all partner redemptions would be at the new peak rates. Indeed the loss of the AB sweet spot (and the EI BOS-DUB one) was discussed by many FTers before the changes came into effect.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flip42
They did. They announced that partner airline redemptions were always priced at the new peak rates.
Where did you see that?

I found only this: "Our other airline partners will continue to offer a single year-round Avios price for reward flights."

Not very clear that they communicate any changes here?!

They are in place anyway, checked the Avios Calculator... Well, well.

BTW - How can I use Iberia Avios?

Thanks
Old May 6, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Where did you see that?

I found only this: "Our other airline partners will continue to offer a single year-round Avios price for reward flights."

Not very clear that they communicate any changes here?!

They are in place anyway, checked the Avios Calculator... Well, well.

Thanks
BA said that off-peak reduced rates would be introduced for BA flights while there would be no no such off-peak rates for partner airlines and the would continue to be priced on the same level year-round.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator

Thanks
You need an active Iberia Plus account. Then you can transfer your BA Avios to Iberia Plus

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...-ba-avios.html
Old May 6, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Why didn't they produce charts for partner airline redemptions the same as they did for BA flights? Not everybody spends time on Flyertalk, so a lot of people would be quite surprised by the sudden jump.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:48 pm

Ok, thanks. Just me who did not read it as an increase then, I assumed partner airlines would stay the same as before. But it makes more sense in increasing them to BA level, yes - and not start any initative to fly partner instead of BA. EC used to be nice, but now...it's not. Earn less miles, and at the same time they do a solid increase in spending rates - unless you are very flexible AND eager to fly BA.

JAL's route from HEL to NRT in C have increased by 33% as well!! Hilarious.

MAD seems like a bargain point wise, but the taxes are too high.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thanks. Just me who did not read it as an increase then, I assumed partner airlines would stay the same as before. But it makes more sense in increasing them to BA level, yes - and not start any initative to fly partner instead of BA. EC used to be nice, but now...it's not. Earn less miles, and at the same time they do a solid increase in spending rates - unless you are very flexible AND eager to fly BA.

JAL's route from HEL to NRT in C have increased by 33% as well!! Hilarious.

MAD seems like a bargain point wise, but the taxes are too high.
Based in OSL it probably makes more sense to buy with cash!
Old May 6, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Based in OSL it probably makes more sense to buy with cash!
Definately!
Old May 7, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I must admit these new changes make me understand the thinking behind last year's removal of free award changes for GCHs. With the devaluation clearly in their minds, BA wouldn't want award space being decimated when this announcement was made by GCHs snapping up random dates to then change them over the next year for free; retaining the old rates.

I struggled to understand the thinking behind that "enhancement" at the time, but with this change being announced this year it suddenly all fell into place.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I must admit these new changes make me understand the thinking behind last year's removal of free award changes for GCHs. With the devaluation clearly in their minds, BA wouldn't want award space being decimated when this announcement was made by GCHs snapping up random dates to then change them over the next year for free; retaining the old rates.

I struggled to understand the thinking behind that "enhancement" at the time, but with this change being announced this year it suddenly all fell into place.
It might have played a part but I doubt it was the driver of that decision. There's clearly a very reasonable argument for change fees as a means to disincentivise GCH from snapping up award space willy nilly, devaluation or not. Let's not get into another discussion about the merits of that decision now.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It might have played a part but I doubt it was the driver of that decision. There's clearly a very reasonable argument for change fees as a means to disincentivise GCH from snapping up award space willy nilly, devaluation or not.
Interesting discussion on the merits of that decision.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Let's not get into another discussion about the merits of that decision now.
Wait what?
Old May 7, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Wait what?

It's hardly OT... I believe it was a valid precursor to these changes.

Particularly when you look at partner awards which charge limited taxes, such as AB. I've booked up quite a few of these at the old rates because I know I can change them and move them around depnending on how I want to use them. If all GCHs could have done that, do you not think partner award space would have been decimated by the 28th April?
Old May 7, 2015, 3:36 am

Interesting discussion on the merits of that decision.

Wait what?
I knew someone would pick up on that. I should have added "and there's also a reasonable argument against" to kill it off.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:51 am

I booked a flight on 25 April. In MMB booking it's showing the TPs and Avios at the post change rates. Is that a bug?
Old May 10, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by MSN095
I booked a flight on 25 April. In MMB booking it's showing the TPs and Avios at the post change rates. Is that a bug?
In a word, yes; as long as you're referring to a BA flight with BA flight number it's a bug. Widely reported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.