Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gold card holder failed mixed fleet assessment :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
My pleasure.

Happy to assist a new Ambassador!
For some reason I was fixated with a term starting with the word "Mother"
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Incidentally, as I head off into my dotage and consider alternative career options to keep me out of boredom, joining Mixed Fleet has gone across my mind too!
Thanks for the warm welcome CWS. Looking forward to meeting fellow flyertalkers in London.

Well said, joining BA is actually an alternative career option to keep me out of boredom. I'm leaving behind a high pressure corporate job and realise I could very well be jumping from the frying pan into the fire (but looking forward to it anyway... there's just something about flying).

In the last couple of years I've traveled in in First with Lufthansa (747, A340), Swiss (A330), Thai (A340, 777), Malaysian (747), Emirates (A380, 777), Cathay (747), Singapore (A380, 777), United (777), BA (747, 777) and in J/Club with many more.

I'm very aware of what the competition is offering and the high standards expected by passengers. I hope this experience will help me in my role at BA.

Will keep you updated on how it goes from the other side of the curtain!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by SohoBoy1A
I did ask them at the end what I could improve, and what I did wrong. They couldn't tell me anything, they told me to try again in 12 months time.
So they would rather you go away non-the-wiser and re-apply next year when it's entirely conceivable that you could fall short on the same requirement thereby wasting their and your time and resources?

Surely it makes much more sense to identify the issue and allow you to try to rectify it and develop in that area so that the next time you apply they get a candidate who has all the qualities they seek in return for very little effort on their part.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
That's very poor form
Exceedingly so. Can't imagine ever doing that. It frankly explains a lot.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others

Apparently Qantas are hiring in London at present...may be worthwhile giving them a try. Even if you don't succeed, SohoBoy, it could be a great learning experience to hone your skills.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Apparently Qantas are hiring in London at present...may be worthwhile giving them a try. Even if you don't succeed, SohoBoy, it could be a great learning experience to hone your skills.
Sounds like a useful suggestion.

I do think practice at interviews can be beneficial.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
So they would rather you go away non-the-wiser and re-apply next year when it's entirely conceivable that you could fall short on the same requirement thereby wasting their and your time and resources?

Surely it makes much more sense to identify the issue and allow you to try to rectify it and develop in that area so that the next time you apply they get a candidate who has all the qualities they seek in return for very little effort on their part.
I don't think it is feasible for BA to do this for each unsuccessful applicant. They have truly enormous recruiting events and I imagine would decline thousands and thousands of hopefuls each year.

My employer also does not give feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by BLHD
If you reapply in 12 Months and get to Interview stage... I urge you not to mention it.
It depends how you put it. If your attitude is I'm a GCH, love me, it will not go well. If you put it as 'I've flown a lot, and here are some examples of good cabin crew service I want to emulate...(or vice versa)' then it could be very positive.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by paul4040
I don't think it is feasible for BA to do this for each unsuccessful applicant. They have truly enormous recruiting events and I imagine would decline thousands and thousands of hopefuls each year.

It's a fair point you make but if they perhaps limited to those who actually want feedback after reaching an advanced stage before rejection it would be much more manageable and, ultimately, to their longer term benefit.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Feb 14, 2015 at 2:53 am
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040

Maybe not for each unsuccessful applicant, but for each applicant who gets as far as the selection procedure I think it is fair to give some feedback to candidates but on the basis that it is meant to be constructive but that further discussions and debates can't be entered into. As the Head of HR for a company my CEO would shoot me if I didn't give feedback to a candidate after an interview, particularly if asked.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
I understand why BA don't give feedback to candidates going for crew positions.

Judging from the program last year, it's likely in many cases that the actual reasons are probably horribly petty, superficial and/or based on generally unimportant physical characteristics that if divulged would give rise to unfairness/discrimination claims.

It's better to say nothing, than provide "wonky hair parting and fat ankles" as reasons you didn't make it through.

(Obviously I'm sure none of the above was the case for Sohoboy).

But don't get me wrong. I'm sure most airlines are probably like this to some extent.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I think you will find in the real world that most people tolerate rather than love their jobs as solely a means to an end in order to pay the bills and if they are luckier, get to pay for things they enjoy.

Chase your dream if you wish but remember dreams don't last forever.
How sad, certainly not the attitude many of my collegues have. The reason I worked hard at school was to avoid being a shelf stacker who has to tolerate work.

I would expect that most people with they type of job that means they post here would fit in the carreer category. If you simply "tolerate" your job that's very upsetting.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Bearface
Honestly, I think you had a lucky escape from MF!
Oh, I dunno........................

Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by bealine
Oh, I dunno........................
Well played.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
How sad, certainly not the attitude many of my collegues have. The reason I worked hard at school was to avoid being a shelf stacker who has to tolerate work.

I would expect that most people with they type of job that means they post here would fit in the carreer category. If you simply "tolerate" your job that's very upsetting.
I don't really see the problem as long as your employer is happy with your performance and you are adequately remunerated for your effort. I certainly don't go to work to be happy but to get a job done that needs to be done. Having qualifications and a career makes no difference in that respect. Doing what you enjoy outside of work is much more important.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Feb 14, 2015 at 9:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.