Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 "Magic Door" now open to all?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
It happens so often it's obviously a design fault.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wonder if his account has been hacked?
Maybe. Even if it were true, it also makes no sense that this guy would be involved in and have knowledge of this operational change. He is Director of Strategy at IAG and not with BA, so he isn't going to be involved in sorting out lounge access routes at T5 - which makes it even more strange that he would tweet about it.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It will never work, the queue would impact people leaving the South Security.
I was thinking this. And particularly the fast track lane!

Think it's nonsense, possibly a hack or a mistake.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:50 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Slightly OT do HAL really believe that because I have to walk the long way around to the Gf that I am likely to shop. No I just curse under my breath about the stupid layout of the airport.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I would be a little sad if this were true. One of my favourite events at T5, which I've brought up before in a DYKWIA thread, was waiting patiently behind a GCH desperately trying it on with the lounge guardian to be let through (I knew he was a GCH because he was telling her he was one, how he flies a lot and how important he is), she gave a very polite but firm no, and turned to me before welcoming me through.
Take a seat on the bench just opposite the fast track security lanes, next to the CCR door and watch for 15 minutes to see how many people try to get through that aren't allowed. It's an amazingly high number!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by matthandy
Take a seat on the bench just opposite the fast track security lanes, next to the CCR door and watch for 15 minutes to see how many people try to get through that aren't allowed. It's an amazingly high number!
Over 50% certainly. Most of the people in front of me are - well Goldies who know perfectly well the layout of the building and don't understand the logic of going along, down, along and up again.

As to the core rumour, I'm afraid I am outside CCR's orbit range at the moment, but I will find out tomorrow morning and report back if no-one gets there first.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye
It happens so often it's obviously a design fault.
Originally Posted by matthandy
I rest my case!

It's ridiculous that a flagship lounge causes so much confrontation just as the passenger clears security.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:59 am

Interesting indeed. Popcorn ready here as well.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
well now a few people have tweeted him asking if 'he is sure' - no reply yet!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... As to the core rumour, I'm afraid I am outside CCR's orbit range at the moment, but I will find out tomorrow morning and report back if no-one gets there first.
I posted above, as of yesterday people were (thankfully) being turned away.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Just as an academical discussion, if BA were to make it happen, do they need permission from HAL or can they just do it?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Never thought I'd reach GCH status and still be viewed as amongst the Great Unwashed!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by SCSA
Never thought I'd reach GCH status and still be viewed as amongst the Great Unwashed!
Not much has changed in 50 years.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Over 50% certainly. Most of the people in front of me are - well Goldies who know perfectly well the layout of the building and don't understand the logic of going along, down, along and up again.
What is the logic of going along, down, along, and up again?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Well the only way this could possibly make sense is if they remodelled the entrance to the lounge when they're remodelling security. If they allowed everyone through the existing door, almost everyone would want to enter through the existing door. As well as causing a lot of traffic through the lounge (would you like people walking through your living room just to get to their own as it saved them walking round the block?) the entrance was not designed to cope with as many people. There can be up to 4 people scanning boarding passes on the entrance to Galleries First, I think there's even more for Galleries Club (there's two entrances, one via the escalator and one via the lift) on the current layout those that were eligible for these lounges would need to be checked twice as well as needing to be monitored in case they got lost on the way to their designated lounge and ended up in the CCR.

Now if they do remodel security and the lounges with an access corridor to the lounges then great, but I'm not sure how practical it would be.

Does anyone have a floor plan of the lounges and their relation to security? Is any part of the flounge next to security where another entrance could be added?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.