Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BAEC Gold Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by ratechaser
An interesting question, as my VS Gold card has for some time been residing in the same wallet as my BA one.
I have a special wallet for my GGL and CCR cards. They are joined by HHonours Diamond and Accor Gold. I don't let other airline cards risk dilution / infection.

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I am very concerned that Golds appear to be personally responding to the plebs in this thread. Do you not have people to do this for you?

[dictated but not read]

-ALCO
I have banned the butler from flyertalk. I found he got a bit too cheeky, knowledge and frankly just out of place after reading some of the stuff on here.

Originally Posted by Physci
One's servants would never be seen in Tesco, Harrods or Fortnum and Mason all the way.
I have never heard of such places but assume you refer to places where the butler gets food from. And yes, he's for precise instructions on standards.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chris1979
I have a special wallet for my GGL and CCR cards. They are joined by HHonours Diamond and Accor Gold. I don't let other airline cards risk dilution / infection.
You stay in Hilton and Accor hotels? Interesting. What are they like? I thought we all stay in Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons or independent country house hotels.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You stay in Hilton and Accor hotels? Interesting. What are they like? I thought we all stay in Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons or independent country house hotels.
Don't get me started!

I am involved with this thing called "work" a few days a week. Giving something back to society I assume and the therapist says it's good for me to be busy, lead a normal life (no idea what that means) etc. I assume / think it's like charity and those people who ask me to pay them to go on holiday ("sponsoring" or so).

Anyway, these "work people" are funny people and have strange rules and that includes what hotels they book me into.

Having said that, I am staying in the same Accor hotel every week at the moment and the people there give the butler a run for his money. Very good I must say and they know what I like, where I like to sit, what room numbers I like etc. very good indeed.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh 'work', yes I understand now. I've done that as well. Great fun it was too! I try not to let it get in the way of my broader plans for life. But it's so nice of you Chris to give something back. ..I expect it feels really heartwarming.

I have also stayed in a hotel of the type you describe. I thought it so logical how rooms were arranged down a hallway; much more sensible than naming them Blue Suite, for example.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get Accor Platinum some day...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I can get my shoes done, but what is available of one wants ones teeth picked?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by visualAd
I can get my shoes done, but what is available of one wants ones teeth picked?
It can be done concurrently while one's tongue is being scraped.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have shown this thread to my butler, who has expressed a mixture of surprise and horror that (apparently) some butlers are being used for grocery shopping. He will be raising the matter with the British Butlers Guild as a matter of urgency.

He has assured me that grocery shopping is done by Natalya, the housekeeper. He does, however, manage the wine cellar, as this is naturally part of a butler's duties and would never be delegated.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by T8191
I have shown this thread to my butler, who has expressed a mixture of surprise and horror that (apparently) some butlers are being used for grocery shopping. He will be raising the matter with the British Butlers Guild as a matter of urgency.

He has assured me that grocery shopping is done by Natalya, the housekeeper. He does, however, manage the wine cellar, as this is naturally part of a butler's duties and would never be delegated.
Isn't this something of an insult to your sommelier?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tooblue
sommelier ...
n.
A restaurant employee who orders and maintains the wines sold in the restaurant and usually has extensive knowledge about wine and food pairings.

I live in a domestic environment, I am not in 'trade'

Last edited by T8191; Sep 13, 2014 at 10:45 am
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:08 am

sommelier ...
n.
A restaurant employee who orders and maintains the wines sold in the restaurant and usually has extensive knowledge about wine and food pairings.

All the more reason to be familiar with the role of a true sommelier; rather than to confuse one with a wine waiter.

Job Description for Sommelier

Manages the daily activities necessary for maintenance and promotion of the organization's wine collection. Identifies and purchases wines for the organization. Monitors the conditions of the wine cellar, ensuring optimal storage. Works with the kitchen staff to develop food and wine pairings. Recommends and serves wine to guests. May require an associate's degree or its equivalent and at least 3 years of experience in the field or in a related area. May possess or be working towards certification. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:21 am

Or 'smellier' = the 'gate lice' afore mentioned!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Uncle T, since you are a mere silver, you can JUST ask a question… no statements, please. ooooffffff

oxxo
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the more reason to be familiar with the role of a true sommelier; rather than to confuse one with a wine waiter.
I am sure there are some here who will appreciate your clarification of the role of a sommelier in a commercial environment. This little diversion has been related to the idea that a butler might be despatched to do grocery shopping for Golds ... I would suggest that any decent butler would tender his resignation soon thereafter.

As I am sure you are aware, in a domestic environment ... The word "butler" comes from Anglo-Norman buteler, variant form of Old Norman *butelier, corresponding to Old French botellier "officer in charge of the king's wine bottles", derived of boteille "bottle", Modern French bouteille, itself from Gallo-Romance BUTICULA "bottle". The role of the butler, for centuries, has been that of the chief steward of a household, the attendant entrusted with the care and serving of wine and other bottled beverages which in ancient times might have represented a considerable portion of the household's assets.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:47 am

sommelier ...
n.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Uncle T, since you are a mere silver, you can JUST ask a question… no statements, please. ooooffffff

oxxo
I am sure there are some here who will appreciate your clarification of the role of a sommelier in a commercial environment. This little diversion has been related to the idea that a butler might be despatched to do grocery shopping for Golds ... I would suggest that any decent butler would tender his resignation soon thereafter.

As I am sure you are aware, in a domestic environment ... The word "butler" comes from Anglo-Norman buteler, variant form of Old Norman *butelier, corresponding to Old French botellier "officer in charge of the king's wine bottles", derived of boteille "bottle", Modern French bouteille, itself from Gallo-Romance BUTICULA "bottle". The role of the butler, for centuries, has been that of the chief steward of a household, the attendant entrusted with the care and serving of wine and other bottled beverages which in ancient times might have represented a considerable portion of the household's assets.
Ha! Lol.

However, putting all the joking and jest aside from this thread, we have just been through a double recession and all of us are hit. Domestic staff numbers have needed to be downgraded. So my butler performs a multitude of tasks and rightly so. And I don't drink so all I need is sufficient supply of San pellegrino and green tea.

Uncle T, as Yahillwe says, back in your box please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.