Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Larnaca

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Lioneye
I'm flying to LGW - LCA this Friday in economy.

Has anyone had recent experience of the food on this trip? It's an 8am start so I'm wondering if it's worth having a full breakfast at Gatwick before take off?

The galleries no doubt has the usual carb fest with fruit.
Only done this as an afternoon flight in CE. Beware, they start queuing at the gate hours before the flight starts boarding, and with a single gate agent it is impossible to get past the queue. Something about LCA/PFO.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Why do they start queueing at the gate so early? Is there no fast-track? (not being dykwia - there is limited storage around the exit seat area) Maybe I'll just chuck the hand-luggage in the CE overheads as I go past
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Why do they start queueing at the gate so early? Is there no fast-track? (not being dykwia - there is limited storage around the exit seat area) Maybe I'll just chuck the hand-luggage in the CE overheads as I go past
It's probably something to do with the demographic of people who travel to Cyprus. I witnessed exactly the same behaviour on SleazyJet in March, LTN-PFO!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
It's probably something to do with the demographic of people who travel to Cyprus. I witnessed exactly the same behaviour on SleazyJet in March, LTN-PFO!
Indeed.

Probably the same as they do, when boarding their coach for Skegness.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:47 am

Oh great - really looking forward to this now!

Maybe I can pass the time doing a trip report in the style of a Thornberry tweet.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:51 am

Why do they start queueing at the gate so early?
Why not, it's not like they have anything else to do.

If you go to the gate at T-30 you will find 100 people in a queue in front of the only exit, so pretty much impossible to priority board, unless you want the over 60s club glaring at you for the next 5 hours.

Anyway, these same 100 people qualify for "anyone needing a little extra time to board the aircraft". Except for the 20 in wheelchairs ahead of them.

So (able-bodied) priority boarding is pretty much the last group to board the plane.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Grrrr Larnaca | 2014 thread

That wasn't my experience. Flew from LgW sometime last year and if anything gate looked deserted when I got there though I then realised only half of the passengers had actually boarded by then. The rest seemed to be taking their time in duty free. So I suppose the experience would vary depending on day.

As for breakfast I suspect BA will be serving you their usual hot bfast (if catering follows similar guidelines to LHR) which personally I find revolting. So if I were you I'd eat at the airport. Or bring your own food.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:55 am

Just to complete the thread in case of future searches.

The early A319 flight was from a door needing a bus to the plane - so there was no speedy boarding. I took the advice to eat breakfast in one of the restaurants. Garfunkels was busy but the service quick and the food fine. We dived into the lounge after for a couple of glasses of bubbles. The food on the plane was a croissant and a tiny tub of muesli and there was no IFE. The exit row was 10 and there was plenty of room.

After take off we noticed that the back end of the plane was empty and decamped. We had the most pleasant 4 hours being waited on by two bored crew members who assured us they were happy for the work.

Much the same on the A320 on the way back. 7.20pm take off (the 7.25 to Heathrowwas delayed for 3 hrs!)..............exit rows 11 & 12. Food was a wrap and a sandwich - we were offered as many as we wanted but ate in the lounge. Decamped to empty rear of plane and watched our DVDs whilst helping self to snacks and drinks and chatting to friendly crew.

Think I prefer the back of the plane in some circumstances!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:17 am

Grrrr Larnaca | 2014 thread

I posted this elsewhere, but there has been a schedule change for S15 on the LGW-LCA route.

The Friday rotation from LGW to LCA has been cancelled entirely. Passengers (like me) have been reaccommodated at no extra cost onto a LHR-LCA flight instead. This is a 767, and LHR was ruinously more expensive initially, and is generally a better experience anyway, so I'm counting it as a jammy win. My return is unaffected and I am landing back in LGW. This also suits me, but it will stuff many others up, having to return to a different airport.

Do check your emails and plans if you have LGW-LCA flights coming up in 2015.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:22 pm
lky

Programs: BA GGL, Aegean Gold, Hilton Diamond, AmanJunkie
Are you sure that's correct - my Gatwick-Larnaca flight on a Friday in April has been rebooked, but BA have told me the same flights I have in May / July and August are all happening .... it seems only Gatwick-Larnaca Friday April schedules have been cancelled
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lky
Are you sure that's correct - my Gatwick-Larnaca flight on a Friday in April has been rebooked, but BA have told me the same flights I have in May / July and August are all happening .... it seems only Gatwick-Larnaca Friday April schedules have been cancelled
Today:

Code:
Flight Timetables Search:
Search LGW to LCA on 06/12/14  up to 7 days

Flight         Stops   Depart            Arrive            Aircraft     Duration         Frequency        Effective        Ending
BA 2674        0       LGW 8:10          LCA 14:45         320          4 hrs 35 mins    F                05/12/14         27/03/15

BA 2674        0       LGW 11:50         LCA 18:30         320          4 hrs 40 mins    W                03/12/14         25/03/15

BA 2674        0       LGW 12:20         LCA 18:55         320          4 hrs 35 mins    M                01/12/14         23/03/15
Random date in April
Code:
Flight Timetables Search:
Search LGW to LCA on 14/04/15  up to 7 days

Flight         Stops   Depart            Arrive            Aircraft     Duration         Frequency        Effective        Ending
BA 2672        0       LGW 13:30         LCA 19:55         319          4 hrs 25 mins    M,F,Sa,Su        29/03/15         24/10/15

BA 2672        0       LGW 13:50         LCA 20:15         319          4 hrs 25 mins    W                01/04/15         21/10/15
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by lky
It's what BA told me - for "Summer 2015".

If it's just April then that's better news, though it isn't what they said to me!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:12 am

More of a "Oh!" than a "Grrr" but Tuesday's 663 appears to be a longhaul version. First time that's happened for me.

Bendy
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:54 am

More of a "Oh!" than a "Grrr" but Tuesday's 663 appears to be a longhaul version. First time that's happened for me.
Currently planned on G–BNWV. She's only done 4 Longhaul flights since mid–Nov, the rest Shorthaul!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by TCX69
Currently planned on G–BNWV. She's only done 4 Longhaul flights since mid–Nov, the rest Shorthaul!

Thanks for that TCX69. No idea why she on shorthaul (or midhaul, technically?) rotation but I'm not going to complain

Oddly when the new seatmap first popped up in MMB I was offered rows 1-4 and 10-13 so CW and WTP; now the seatmap has changed again to just 1-4.

Bendy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.