Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Larnaca

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Grrrr Larnaca

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. My brother in law is getting married in Larnaca late May and we're trying to book reward flights to get out there but are struggling. Ideally we'd be looking to fly out 25/26th and back 5-7 days later, from either London airport. I'm guessing it's because it's in the May half term, but as far as I can tell there's nothing going out in Economy for 2 people from the 19th until the 28th and then coming back from the 25th May until 5th June. Business is also not a great deal better, there's a 4 day gap at the start of June with no availability which would all be reasonable days for us to return on.

Is this something that is likely to improve as we get a bit nearer or is this is a good as it's going to get? Need to know if we should think about paying for flights instead.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
It is quite pathetic that neither London arrivals from LCA allow any domestic connections !!!!!

Surely if anyone from the regions (those actually served by BA) are to consider BA over U2 etc it would be an advantage to have same day connections rather than an overnight stay in London ?

cs
But LCA already has direct services on a multitude of airlines from almost every major UK airport.

BA can't compete on cost with these direct low-cost services.

The market for premium fares, from the regions, with a connection via LHR/LGW is extremely limited to non-existent.

The LCA-LHR route does well from direct traffic (in both directions), connections to North America and freight (both directions).
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by poshphil
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. My brother in law is getting married in Larnaca late May and we're trying to book reward flights to get out there but are struggling. Ideally we'd be looking to fly out 25/26th and back 5-7 days later, from either London airport. I'm guessing it's because it's in the May half term, but as far as I can tell there's nothing going out in Economy for 2 people from the 19th until the 28th and then coming back from the 25th May until 5th June. Business is also not a great deal better, there's a 4 day gap at the start of June with no availability which would all be reasonable days for us to return on.

Is this something that is likely to improve as we get a bit nearer or is this is a good as it's going to get? Need to know if we should think about paying for flights instead.
You travelling not just over summer season but also over a bank holiday weekend were demand will be particularly high. I wouldn't count on anything opening up between now and then. Flights will be full.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Cyba
You travelling not just over summer season but also over a bank holiday weekend were demand will be particularly high. I wouldn't count on anything opening up between now and then. Flights will be full.
Agree with that: and I would actually try to book as soon as possible - my experience of LCA flights is that prices very rarely drop from any destination with any airline.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:41 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
This is one long thread & it may be that much of the info is irrelevant to me.

I've just booked (in the sale) a 6 night AI holiday in Limassol, going into Larnaca airport, leaving in 5 weeks. How is Larnaca airport for arrivals & departures? We arrive around 6pm on a Saturday & depart around 7pm on the following Friday.

Any useful tips or info you lovely people can impart please? Anything useful will be gratefully received, thank you
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:52 pm

Sorry to bump but can anyone help with the questions above please? Thank you

Last edited by LadyB; Feb 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:31 pm

LCA is one of the nicest airports anywhere. On arrival you deplane through dual airbridges, so it's quick to get off the plane, quick to get through passport control, and bags come out quickly. You will be through the airport in 5 minutes if hand baggage only or 15-20 minutes with bags. There is an ATM in the baggage hall.

On departure there are only a few flights in the evening, a Dubai flight, a Gatwick one, and maybe 1-2 to Russia. The terminal will be quiet. Check-in is easy, there is a dedicated check in desk for CE/Gold/Silver. You can pick up a lounge invite from check-in, or simply present your BP at the Swissport Lounge. It's a very pleasant airport to use, the lounge is nice, and the staff are all great. Anything more specific you'd like to know, just ask.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:04 am

Thank you MrSimonR, very kind of you to respond with that info.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Having done two LHR-LCA trips in the last week, I have to say that this route no longer deserves it's Grrrrr heading (at least in off season). The 767s have been in good condition, plenty of space in CE, decent food, very few chavs up front, and (on Sat night back to LHR) the best crew I have encountered in ages And a good use of miles IMO.

Pity Cyprus is such a hole
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Chavs?

ITT someone flying to Larnaca is trying to be elitist in a non ironic way
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Having done two LHR-LCA trips in the last week, I have to say that this route no longer deserves it's Grrrrr heading (at least in off season). The 767s have been in good condition, plenty of space in CE, decent food, very few chavs up front, and (on Sat night back to LHR) the best crew I have encountered in ages
LCA flights are very good these days: nice timings, usually A gates for departure and arrival, a great team on the ground at LCA, excellent food and consistently the best nicest crews (the team on last night's BA663 were ALL outstanding and a pleasure to fly with).
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:04 am

OT - but S7 has just announced LCA-DME and PFO-DME flights:
http://www.s7.ru/home/about/news/s7-...os-and-larnaca
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
OT - but S7 has just announced LCA-DME and PFO-DME flights:
http://www.s7.ru/home/about/news/s7-...os-and-larnaca
Great news and frequencies are not too shabby either, for startup service ^
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:30 am

Cyprus Airways dropping to one LHR daily after selling a slot.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2014/03/13/cy...east-airlines/
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
We did a trip to LCA a few weeks ago having got a great deal in the summer sale last year. IIRC correctly the flights in CE for the two of us was some £1200.

But adding 7 nights in a 5 star hotel only made it some £1400. I will never understand BA's pricing model.

Naturally we booked in a flash.. And had a great time! ^

Service outbound was excellent, great crew and good quality food. Return was pretty average. The 767 is a great A/C but as others have stated, BA really needs a better hard product for a 4 hour flight. Personal IFE would be essential I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.