Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Just checking: if I book a CW ticket with the goal to be upgraded to F, I understand that A fare bucket availability must be available... but does it matter what the CW fare bucket is to be eligible (talking cash purchase, not Avios)?
Assuming you talk about booking via a TA? No, it doesn't matter if CW availability exists, only the class you will fly in (First, so A is fine)...

If you book via BA, you need to have Avios availability, unless you have a Joker...
Old May 30, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Assuming you talk about booking via a TA? No, it doesn't matter if CW availability exists, only the class you will fly in (First, so A is fine)...

If you book via BA, you need to have Avios availability, unless you have a Joker...
I don't really understand why BA effectively forces use of a TA, seeing as the airline could do all this itself quite easily.

I'll have to find a reputable UK TA as anticipate booking in the next week or two, subject to availability... which I may have to check in another thread!
Old May 30, 2017, 7:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't really understand why BA effectively forces use of a TA, seeing as the airline could do all this itself quite easily.

I'll have to find a reputable UK TA as anticipate booking in the next week or two, subject to availability... which I may have to check in another thread!
BA isn't forcing you to use a TA, and you have misunderstood why this exits. Many BA cumstomers only book through a TA, and were it not because of this provision these customers would find GUFs to be completely useless. Allowing use of some revenue classes allows the TA to use the GUF therefore enabling the customer to use the earned benefit. It was not mean as a workaround for those wanting to use a GUF where there is no reward availability.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
BA isn't forcing you to use a TA, and you have misunderstood why this exits. Many BA cumstomers only book through a TA, and were it not because of this provision these customers would find GUFs to be completely useless. Allowing use of some revenue classes allows the TA to use the GUF therefore enabling the customer to use the earned benefit. It was not mean as a workaround for those wanting to use a GUF where there is no reward availability.
Fair enough, but the absence of being able to use it direct with BA for revenue bookings - as I understand it? - seems fussy to me. Or can the Gold line resolve GUF2 revenue bookings directly?
Old May 31, 2017, 2:22 am

Or can the Gold line resolve GUF2 revenue bookings directly?
No you need reward availability when booking with BA.

Fair enough, but the absence of being able to use it direct with BA for revenue bookings - as I understand it?
As I noted it is only there for those forced to keep booking through TAs. Allowing it for direct BA bookings would open it to everyone, and that is not what the purpose of this is.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough, but the absence of being able to use it direct with BA for revenue bookings - as I understand it? - seems fussy to me.
I assume they are quite reluctant about allowing revenue space to be used for GUFs, and this is a messy compromise.

Last edited by Calchas; May 31, 2017 at 6:42 am Reason: See clarification by chris1979 below
Old May 31, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Fair enough, but the absence of being able to use it direct with BA for revenue bookings - as I understand it? - seems fussy to me. Or can the Gold line resolve GUF2 revenue bookings directly?
you can use it direct with BA for revenue bookings (i.e. a cash booking in CW (not just an avios booking)) but that then requires Z class inventory to use the GUF to upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Does anyone know how this works with corporate travel agencies ?
I book my work flights with CTM, and TATL flights are always in WT+. I can only ever upgrade flights to J when the booking is released to BA at T-24.

But I'm relatively close to getting 2.5k TP (with the help of a TP run) - I have a conference in Vegas in October, and would like to know if it's worth pushing myself to GUF2 so I can get a flat bed on the way back (plus for my partner who for some reason insists on coming too).
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by avon75
I book my work flights with CTM, and TATL flights are always in WT+. I can only ever upgrade flights to J when the booking is released to BA at T-24.

But I'm relatively close to getting 2.5k TP (with the help of a TP run) - I have a conference in Vegas in October, and would like to know if it's worth pushing myself to GUF2 so I can get a flat bed on the way back (plus for my partner who for some reason insists on coming too).
Check with your corporate agency first that they are prepared to go through the process that BA requires to apply the GUF. They should do as it doesn't cost them anything, but some agencies can be funny.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by avon75

A GUF when used with a TA has to be applied at the time of booking. There is some information here aimed at TAs about how to process the GUF booking.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-card-upgrade
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Have a question about GUF2 that I got from the 2500TP benefit.

Would I be able to apply the GUF2 onto another booking for my friend + spouse (and I'm not flying on that booking)?

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tango3

Would I be able to apply the GUF2 onto another booking for my friend + spouse (and I'm not flying on that booking)?

Thanks.
Yes, but you need to pay for the booking on your card (they can obviously then reimburse you separately!)
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Yes, but you need to pay for the booking on your card (they can obviously then reimburse you separately!)
OK! Great, thanks
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by tango3

Thanks.
To be clear, I think if you are not one of the passengers you need to book with BA (and therefore access award inventory, not revenue inventory).
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by alexwuk
To be clear, I think if you are not one of the passengers you need to book with BA (and therefore access award inventory, not revenue inventory).
That is correct. It cannot be used via a TA if you aren't one of the pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.