Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:00 pm

I do not know the answer to whether you will trigger a 241 by upgrading to the PP after already hitting 10k but your wife should be able to apply separately as i understand it.

Once the voucher has been attained you can downgrade to blue to keep the voucher valid.
    Once used to book the card can be cancelled and the voucher will remain valid on the booking.
    You can reapply for either card so long as you have not held a BA Amex in the preceeding 6 months. Being a supplementary card holder does not preclude you from this.
    Presumably you want to cancel not just downgrade to be eligible for the signup bonus when you reapply 6 momths later?

Somebody else will be able to better placed to answer how Amex will view the churn rate but it is certainly possible to alternate between you and your wife as the main card holder and the other as supplementary.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above...
    Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:06 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
    See:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-thoughts.html
    Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, BA Amex, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec
    I was thinking more of upgrading my BA card to trigger the 241 then maybe downgrade shortly after and have wife apply for her own BA PP Amex card and earn another 241 not necessarily cancel and reapply (especially as this sounds like it loses the voucher. Sounds like churning/cancelling may not be a good thing in the long terms.

Does upgrading/downgrading like this cause any issues as opposed to cancelling?
    Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
    Upgrading will trigger the 2-4-1 as that's what happened to me.
    Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:10 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
    Am either thick, not strict enough with my money, do not have enough time in a day or a combo of all three but...

Why don't you and your wife each take the premier version of the card, pay the £150 each, and get 2x 241 per annum? The hassle you get yourself through does not seem worth the £150 potential saving.

The premier version also gets you more Avios per £ so there is a downside to downgrading.
    Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:53 pm

True I suppose theoretically once could have two cards and average one fee by upgrading/downgrading (though administratively it's probably a pain). Had the PP for several years and had vouchers expire for various reason so donwngraded back in Sept as we were probably spending £20k+ on the PP and paying £150 for a voucher that wasn't being used until recently.

I'm not sure whether rampant churning is a good strategy given chnages in US and potential effect on credit rating if you got a decline
    Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    As a long term policy you are likely to annoy amex if you keep doing it. Yes the upgrades\downgrades work but at what cost? By spending £10k on the basic card and then upgrading you lose 5000 points but that wouldn't justify the fee. I personally am happy to pay the fee to keep on amex's good side.
    Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:36 am

I paid the fee for 5 years prior to downgrading in September as we had at least two vouchers expire previously.

If you upgrade is the fee pro rate to does the renewal date change presently September.

@Parklife what do you mean lose 5000 points I never heard any mention of that?
    Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
    I paid the fee for 5 years prior to downgrading in September as we had at least two vouchers expire previously.

If you upgrade is the fee pro rate to does the renewal date change presently September.

@Parklife what do you mean lose 5000 points I never heard any mention of that?
    I think Parklife means that if you pend £10k on the Blue card and then upgrade you have lost a potential additional 5K Avios you would have earned at the higher rate on the PP.
    Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
    I had all my credit cards stolen a couple of months ago and the replacements obviously have new numbers. I've just cancelled a couple of flights I paid for with my old BAPP and am now due a refund.

Will the refund automatically credit to the new card account or do I need to do something about it to make that happen?
    Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by Blueboys999
    I had all my credit cards stolen a couple of months ago and the replacements obviously have new numbers. I've just cancelled a couple of flights I paid for with my old BAPP and am now due a refund.

Will the refund automatically credit to the new card account or do I need to do something about it to make that happen?
    It should transfer over seamlessly but it wouldn't do any harm to give Amex a call just to clarify the position.
    Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors

They normally credit back to the original card so i'd suggest you contact them
    Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
    Originally Posted by mike&co
    It should transfer over seamlessly but it wouldn't do any harm to give Amex a call just to clarify the position.
    Originally Posted by mc1973
    They normally credit back to the original card so i'd suggest you contact them
    Thanks both. I'll call to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Amex say it will "100%" automatically credit back into the new account. We'll see!

Last edited by Blueboys999; Jan 12, 2015 at 4:32 am
    Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:34 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Yes this is fine. I had my wallet stolen back in May and a new BAPP card issued with a new number. I have had a few refunds of bookings whihc were made with the old card since and never been a problem, the refunds have not really taken any longer to reach my card than other ones. Obviously teh refund gets sent to amex with teh old cc number but it sstill goes on your new card.

EDIT: yes amex are right, no need to contact anyone and no manual intervention required by you in the process
    Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    Yes this is fine. I had my wallet stolen back in May and a new BAPP card issued with a new number. I have had a few refunds of bookings whihc were made with the old card since and never been a problem, the refunds have not really taken any longer to reach my card than other ones. Obviously teh refund gets sent to amex with teh old cc number but it sstill goes on your new card.

EDIT: yes amex are right, no need to contact anyone and no manual intervention required by you in the process
    Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.