Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:19 pm

You only have to read their trustpilot to see why people weren’t booking. I agree with the above comment the they shot themselves in the foot with over fast expansion. Not a great suprise.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.primeraair.com
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Joshm300
You only have to read their trustpilot to see why people weren’t booking. I agree with the above comment the they shot themselves in the foot with over fast expansion. Not a great suprise.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.primeraair.com
Indeed. Funnily enough their reviews are on a par with BA....

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.britishairways.com

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/britishairways.co.uk
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Saw a headline but didn't read the story about SAA being in dire financial straits the other day...hardly new that I thought.

I used to hear great reports about them from those I knew who had flown with them.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Saw a headline but didn't read the story about SAA being in dire financial straits the other day...hardly new that I thought.

I used to hear great reports about them from those I knew who had flown with them.
Despite being South African, I have never flown SAA.
I don’t believe the state will ever let them go under, sadly, because they are so badly managed!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
No surprise with regards to Primera (often referred to as Deprimera by those dealing with them...). They had fallen foul of all the Scandinavian consumer protection agencies due to their reluctance to adhere to EU261 as well.

A friend used to work for their holiday integrator (is that the right description?), and they have been struggling for several years. They have cut staff & closed offices, and struggled with many of their destinations. I do hope the affected employees are able to find gainful employment within a reasonable timeframe.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Primera fell out with the trade, so very few UK based agents touched them with a barge pole fortunately. Whereas loco airlines like Norwegian & Air Asia are going the other way.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Cobalt Air, formed from part of the remains of Cyprus Airlines, has gone bust: https://www.theguardian.com/business...-are-cancelled
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

It’s going to be a long winter...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
As of yesterday Flybe’s share price meant the airline was only worth £62MM - a potential take-over target for IAG ?

Pilot37
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
As of yesterday Flybe’s share price meant the airline was only worth £62MM - a potential take-over target for IAG ?

Pilot37
Flybe's LHR slots are worth more than that. Just needs someone to come up with a great idea on how to use them with the current restrictions in place.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37

Pilot37
Possible, but even at £62 million, does it represent a viable investement? flyBe has lost a total of 87milion since 2007, essentially it has never made money, although the pattern has been “boom” and “bust”. Now, it might be that leases, payments within the group, etc may be used ‘creatively’, as was alleged at bmi.

IAG demand ~10% return, if I recall. Is there any evidence that flyBe can offer that?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by simons1
But bear in mind that a Trustpilot score is not representative of a typical customer experience with any business because very few people bother to write a review on it unless they've got something to complain about. If 95% of customers are happy with the service, then the other 5% (and only they) will be on Trustpilot.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
We are sitting expecting Wow Air and Norwegian Air Shuttle go bankrupt, and in theory they should do. But I bet, based on nothing rational whatsoever, that they don't and that they will still be kicking around until at least next Summer. When these bankruptcies happen, they seem to come totally unexpectedly in the majority of cases. When you expect them to come (cf Norwegian and everyone is focused on the airline in question and its troubles), they don't!
wrp96 and djbenedict like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by BrianDromey

Possible, but even at £62 million, does it represent a viable investement? flyBe has lost a total of 87milion since 2007, essentially it has never made money, although the pattern has been “boom” and “bust”. Now, it might be that leases, payments within the group, etc may be used ‘creatively’, as was alleged at bmi.

IAG demand ~10% return, if I recall. Is there any evidence that flyBe can offer that?
I wonder how much FlyBe pay out in EU261 compared to what they take in revenue - last time I did BHX to AMS with them the compensation was more than I paid for my ticket

Dropping a few routes might help their ontime performance, and reduce the amount of work their customer services team have to cope with
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by dajdavies
I wonder how much FlyBe pay out in EU261 compared to what they take in revenue - last time I did BHX to AMS with them the compensation was more than I paid for my ticket

Dropping a few routes might help their ontime performance, and reduce the amount of work their customer services team have to cope with
I had a project manager fly LBA-NQY-LBA for his weekend off. His ticket cost £98 or something like that and Flybe paid out about £210 , the equivalent of 250 Euros. Not a very profitable trip for them, but my project manager was delighted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.