Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I thought he was flirting with TAP, giving them the 'come to IAG' eyes?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
I thought he was flirting with TAP, giving them the 'come to IAG' eyes?
He was, but they went with the Azul linked consortium last year
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I’m still surprised that IAG hasn’t looked further at BE

cs
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I get emails about sales at Cityjet almost every month - which then extend. I would not book with them under any circumstances as their days seem numbered.
That would be a shame but perhaps inevitable. They have canceled all other routes from LCY apart from Dublin now and are now concentrating on leases.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I’m still surprised that IAG hasn’t looked further at BE

cs
Can't imagine that there would be much value creating in buying BE. Limited crossover of aircraft, routes etc. So limited ability to cut costs.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Amazing to think that it was once the dominant airline at London City, now reduced to wet leases for other airlines
True - but it was really Air France that carried it. Once they cut the sales and marketing tie there was no identity of its own.

Plus they run those old 4 engine jets (sorry the name eludes me) and that must be terribly cost unfriendly. Actually, I think that most carriers that ran them either ditched them or went bust. Poor AirUK/Buzz comes to mind - along with a Low Cost again the name escapes me that ran from Luton and its advertising slogan was "Francisco says" or some such. Can anyone remember who I'm blathering about?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:41 am

True - but it was really Air France that carried it. Once they cut the sales and marketing tie there was no identity of its own.

Plus they run those old 4 engine jets (sorry the name eludes me) and that must be terribly cost unfriendly. Actually, I think that most carriers that ran them either ditched them or went bust. Poor AirUK/Buzz comes to mind - along with a Low Cost again the name escapes me that ran from Luton and its advertising slogan was "Francisco says" or some such. Can anyone remember who I'm blathering about?

It was the BAe/Avro 146, the last British airliner, the sad swan song for a once world-leading industry. They are being replaced by Russian Superjets which does not inspire confidence but suspect they got a good price on them.

PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
along with a Low Cost again the name escapes me that ran from Luton and its advertising slogan was "Francisco says" or some such. Can anyone remember who I'm blathering about?
Debonair?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Don't forget, Skywork Airlines in Berne has just hung its socks out to dry. They're dropping like flies at the moment.

EDIT: although, having said that, their website seems to be up and running again. Just did a dummy booking for Berne - Amsterdam. Maybe they managed to secure more funding after a two day grounding this weekend.

In German:

https://www.bluewin.ch/de/news/inlan...willigung.html

Last edited by Concerto; Nov 1, 2017 at 6:28 am Reason: updated info
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by MarcD
Debonair?
Exactly so - I had the word Elegance in my head and I was certain that it was not it.
MarcD and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MarcD
Debonair?
Not to be confused with DevonAir, which is the dream of many Cornish based FTers

M
PUCCI GALORE and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Not to be confused with DevonAir, which is the dream of many Cornish based FTers

M
Yes Dear - but do they put the jam on the cream, or the cream on the jam?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Ok I think Flybe mentioned in the article is one.

Cityjet is another as PUCCI GALORE mentioned.

But I think WW specifically said smaller carriers. I am going to guess Air Malta and Air Serbia.
What about Norweigen?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanA
What about Norweigen?
It's a tricky one, but I know the powers at IAG believe Norweigians business model to be very vulnerable if certain macro economic factors go against them. Could be an interesting winter..
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Norwegian currently has a positive rate of climb [3], even if they are very heavily loaded [1], are at low altitude[4] and underpowered [2]. If there was a serious change in customer sentiment, some global sudden crisis (I don't count the ongoing Western grinding stagflation as a sudden crisis), or a large and sustained rise in the price of fuel, they're in trouble, and their climb would become a descent. They're commercially risky (don't bet your pension on them) but not actually facing anything that would sink them at the moment.

[1] with debt
[2] low margins
[3] cashflow OK
[4] they are not very large nor do they have well established captive markets
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.