Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It can be done in YYZ if you are checking in there. I know you should stay passport consistent and use the same passport on arrival as in APIS (but I never have). If not, at Flight Connections they typically look at your passport now anyway. So no change there.
OK thanks c-w-s.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
10/10 for Irony

BA do irony rather well

They posted this on their facebook page!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by srbrenna
They posted this on their facebook page!
And in weekend press ads.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I asked upthread but can the machines read the national ID documents from the continental countries?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Deleted

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Sep 12, 2013 at 8:16 am Reason: Was probably wrong!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
As long as there are no queues for the machines then I'd call this irritating rather than painful but it does make a complete travesty of BA's investments in printing your own boarding pass at home and in mobile boarding passes - at least for outgoing flights from LHR.

Is the "to glide, to stride, to breeze" picture still on their facebook page? I couldn't see it. I was going to leave a moderately sarcastic comment.

JP
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Another good reason to stay off idiotbook.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
I've got GOT coming up 2nd week of October. Let's see what happens

To me this defeats the entire advantage of using the mobile app + smartphone boarding card.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
What happens if you transit through LHR on two separate tickets? I've done this several times.

e.g. LBA-LHR (booking #1)
then LHR-JFK (booking #2)

the "passport check" at the LBA gate isn't going to apply to the LHR-JFK booking. You arrive at T5 as domestic arrival and pass through conformance and go airside... or do you get pulled aside for an extra passport check at that conformance point?

...or do you get as far as the gate for the JFK flight before "the system" spots something is wrong?

"Can of worms" doesn't even begin to describe what's going on here...
This has happened since T5 opened as "Passport and Visa check" has always been required for long haul flights. You would fail conformance if your documents hadn't been verified and sent to Domestic Flight Connections Customer Service for this to be resolved. International - long haul would be done by the Ready to Fly agent.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It can be done in YYZ if you are checking in there. I know you should stay passport consistent and use the same passport on arrival as in APIS (but I never have). If not, at Flight Connections they typically look at your passport now anyway. So no change there. The only people affected by this are short haul customers starting their journeys at LHR landside and not checking luggage. And I don't think this wheeze will last for very long, thanks to App users mainly. They tried something similar at LGW, signs everywhere, and it didn't survive the first week.
I do hope it will not last for long.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by layz
I really think these new visa rules are a red herring.

The self service check-in machines can't check visas, they can just check machine readable passports. They also can't check that the person presenting the passport matches the photograph on the passport.

Like I said earlier, if someone dropped their passport and home printed boarding pass on the tube I could still use this to get airside after authorising my passport at one of the machines.

If it was only for visa users then they'd not say you could perform this check at a machine

So one question is will these machines prompt those that require visas to then go to the visa desk?
Is it really about visas though?

If it is just checking the "valid for 3months beyond stay", the machines can definitely read the passport expiry date.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by xxxxx
This has happened since T5 opened as "Passport and Visa check" has always been required for long haul flights. You would fail conformance if your documents hadn't been verified and sent to Domestic Flight Connections Customer Service for this to be resolved. International - long haul would be done by the Ready to Fly agent.
I flew BCN-LHR-SIN... with hand baggage and my LHR-SIN BP states "Customers with hand baggage only should go to a Passport and Visa check desk located at desks B16 or H1 before going to Security". I was never landside at LHR. Was my passport "checked" at BCN?

What exactly does this check comprise of? That I actually have a passport? Is the passport scanned or swiped, or is it merely a "tick here if passenger has his passport [ ]"?

I think this change begs two questions:

1. If all pax have already had their passports checked, why maintain a full passport check at the gate?

2. If a full passport check at the gate is still maintained for all pax, why is there a need to check passports before that?

EDIT: ....or perhaps this is a secret plan funded by other hub airports to made LHR look even less attractive?

Last edited by shorthauldad; Sep 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:43 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:55 am
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

So, what damage can an undocumented person do airside, but before they get on a plane? Something's happened to provoke this.
Damned if I know. They might have trouble getting back landside without a passport mind you.
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Why are the countries all EU + EEA etc. (Switzerland, Gibraltar and Turkey?)

This all smells rather fishy as it's clearly not blanket.
Non-EEA destinations and non-EEA passport holders travelling to any international destination must already have their passports checked before going through security to verify whether they're admissible.
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
This all does seem a bit bonkers, but for once things seem to work better for those of us not originating in London We'll board on our domestic ticket at the outstation and then be airside in T5 when we land so no chance to go to a machine and get a flimsy. I must say though that on my last flight (EDI-LHR-MAD), the EDI lounge ladies quickly checked my passport upon lounge entry (as they could see the linked sector) so pretty painless.
Yes and this will happen at the gate if you don't have lounge access.
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
But isn't that the bizarre situation - why does a gate check suffice for domestic connection but not at T5?
I suppose with relatively few people needing to be checked at the domestic outstation they think they have time to swipe all the passports needed at the gate.

I have to say I think this policy is absolutely bonkers and yet again proves BA's incompetence with words in describing this as speeding the journey through the airport, as you now have to be 10 minutes earlier with hand baggage only and take extra steps on the way.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Semi-related question (apologies if this is too off-topic...seems appropriate to me): With a USA passport, I've flown long haul from T5 with hand baggage only, but didn't print my boarding pass beforehand. I went to the Club check-in and had my boarding pass printed. I proceeded to conformance, failed, and was told that I need to go to the visa/passport check.

Did I just have less competent check-in agent that didn't clear me for conformance in some way, or do you actually have to go to the visa/passport check desk no matter what?

This seems like it will be particularly annoying for those with status since we won't have a separate visa/passport check desk with a (hopefully) shorter line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.