Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by DWFI
I'm not sure how the people that lie like that day-in, day-out, can live with themselves.
They do though. Most of their mates work in my company I think.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
That was my thought.

Walk in the doors of T5, approach one of many self service machines, shove in passport, take boarding card (despite already having one), carry on walking 30 seconds later.

Slightly annoying? Yes. The cause of the destruction of mankind? No!

The problem comes when your new boarding card says seat 14D rather than 64A!!!
Can you not see the problem that might arise?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by gav0106
Am I missing something, but this is only for non EEA countries, does not effect UK passport holders, thats what the BA page says. Seems a standard visa requirement for all non EEA passports, nothing really that new.
No, the linked BA page mentions the 3 month extra validity requirement for passports, not this measure.

Several of your posts seem to have been based on misinterpretation of the first post.

I see visualAd has posted the relevant link.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Walk in the doors of T5, approach one of many self service machines, shove in passport, take boarding card (despite already having one), carry on walking 30 seconds later.
Let me rephrase that for you...
Walk in the doors of T5, <fish out my passport which is already in my bag ready for security, do pointless and unnecessary activity that I never had to do before involving prodding around on some horrid Windows-based sluggish touch screen, put passport back in wallet and back into bag>, carry on walking <1 minute and> 30 seconds later.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
This all does seem a bit bonkers, but for once things seem to work better for those of us not originating in London We'll board on our domestic ticket at the outstation and then be airside in T5 when we land so no chance to go to a machine and get a flimsy. I must say though that on my last flight (EDI-LHR-MAD), the EDI lounge ladies quickly checked my passport upon lounge entry (as they could see the linked sector) so pretty painless.
Maybe you'll be routed through flight connections for passport check... Don't think lounge check in EDI relevant as not everyone who's travelling hand baggage only would use
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That was my thought.

Slightly annoying? Yes. The cause of the destruction of mankind? No!

The real problem comes when your new boarding card says seat 14D rather than 64A!!!
You think there won't be queues for the machines, given the number of pax we're talking about?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Can you not see the problem that might arise?
You'll have to help me, I seem to be missing something!

The last time I flew out of T5 (to Glasgow a few weeks back) my mobile was playing up and I had to shove my passport in one of the self service machines to get my boarding card. It was annoying, but cost me all of 30 seconds. I was over it about 10 seconds after that.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:35 pm

You'll have to help me, I seem to be missing something!

The last time I flew out of T5 (to Glasgow a few weeks back) my mobile was playing up and I had to shove my passport in one of the self service machines to get my boarding card. It was annoying, but cost me all of 30 seconds. I was over it about 10 seconds after that.
But when everyone has to do it...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
You think there won't be queues for the machines, given the number of pax we're talking about?
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
But when everyone has to do it...
Fair point. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that happens. On the occasions I have used the machines there have been dozens available so I'm not sure it will cause huge queues. If it does then something will have to change!

I have three European trips booked but I think two of them will be prior to this coming in force for the destinations I am going to. Phew!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Roger
No, the linked BA page mentions the 3 month extra validity requirement for passports, not this measure.

Several of your posts seem to have been based on misinterpretation of the first post.

I see visualAd has posted the relevant link.
I'm not sure I agree. I can see that these new EU passport validity restrictions for non-EU/EEA passport holders is likely the prompt, or a factor, in this move.

Perhaps BA are convinced that the current system would not be robust in detecting invalid passports and the current approach would produce unacceptable costs.

- if the non-EU/EEA passport with inadequate validity is presented at the gate they will need to offload the bag, by which point it would be too late to maintain an on-time departure, with the current conformance regime;

- and/or, they know that checking the passport validity at the gate would slow things done too much;

- most importantly, they may judge that checks at the gate would not be done robustly, resulting in fines for carrying passengers with inadequate documentation.

I suppose the alternative would have been to introduce the G4S passport checkers at EU departure points, but I can see that would add too much cost to shorthaul.

Perhaps over time they may generate other solutions, but as with all passport requirements any changes are typically introduced with limited notice.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Dan72
- if the non-EU/EEA passport with inadequate validity is presented at the gate they will need to offload the bag, by which point it would be too late to maintain an on-time departure, with the current conformance regime;

- and/or, they know that checking the passport validity at the gate would slow things done too much;

- most importantly, they may judge that checks at the gate would not be done robustly, resulting in fines for carrying passengers with inadequate documentation.
First point misunderstands the issue - this applies to pax with hand baggage only, so no checked bag to offload if there's an issue at the gate

Unless they link into a database of stolen passports etc not sure what the SSCI kiosks really do - isn't it just a reading of the characters on photo page to match name etc, ie no verification of identity or visa as part of process

Also, why haven't we heard of this at LCY, LGW, other LHR terminals etc - what differentiates T5...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by gav0106
Nope, title of OP is Passport and Visa check....I dont need a visa...I read this as it is for people who have visas. Where did the information come from?

Time will tell and I think clarity would be best, but in the bigger picture does it really matter I am not going to lose sleep about having to print a paper from a machine in all of 30 secs. I do see other peoples point of view and respect that, just for me I think it has been taken out of context and thats all
I really think these new visa rules are a red herring.

The self service check-in machines can't check visas, they can just check machine readable passports. They also can't check that the person presenting the passport matches the photograph on the passport.

Like I said earlier, if someone dropped their passport and home printed boarding pass on the tube I could still use this to get airside after authorising my passport at one of the machines.

If it was only for visa users then they'd not say you could perform this check at a machine

So one question is will these machines prompt those that require visas to then go to the visa desk?

Also what happens with those unaware of the rules end up missing conformance because they've had to queue for the boarding pass scanner, then get directed to the machines, find out that their passport can't be read properly, then need to go to a desk?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
First point misunderstands the issue - this applies to pax with hand baggage only, so no checked bag to offload if there's an issue at the gate

Unless they link into a database of stolen passports etc not sure what the SSCI kiosks really do - isn't it just a reading of the characters on photo page to match name etc, ie no verification of identity or visa as part of process

Also, why haven't we heard of this at LCY, LGW, other LHR terminals etc - what differentiates T5...
You're right on the first point - I missed that this was hand baggage only. Passengers with baggage will have the passport checked at bag drop-off, so this to capture the rest.

It therefore seems to be an effort to avoid the cost of G4S passport checkers on these flights (and the penalties for carrying inadequately documented travellers). I can see that EU fares would struggle to absorb that cost.

In terms of swiping the passport, the machines will be able to identify the nationality and the expiry date and make an assessment if the document is valid, ie valid for more than 3 months for non-EU/EEA passport holders. This information is included in the biodata tracks between the <<chevrons>> at the bottom of the biodata page, eg UK is GBR.

Why not at other ports? I'm not sure, I expect they will have a transition period, including the point at which penalties are payable for landing a passenger that does not satisfy these new requirements. At smaller stations, it may be cheaper to do this using the existing staff at check-in or the gate.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by layz
I really think these new visa rules are a red herring.

The self service check-in machines can't check visas, they can just check machine readable passports. They also can't check that the person presenting the passport matches the photograph on the passport.
Those captured by visa regimes, will still be subject to the usual checks. But this is NOT a visa regime and the machines should be able to check if the passport is valid for this remaining group, as explained above, and who previously passed through to departures without any scrutiny.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
One of the reasons I hate using SSCI kiosks is I rarely ever put the passport in the right way the first time. The diagrams are poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.