Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
What will happen when Mr DYKWIA, unaware of the changes, rocks up to security at T-40 with his shiny mobile boarding pass as advertised, complete with full and accurate APIS details enetered online, only to get a red beep and told to schlep off for a pointless and unnecessary visa check, and susbsequently misses conformance?
De facto move to 2 phase conformance? One at 45 mins for passport check and other at 35 mins for security?

Ba.com - You must pass through check-in no later than 45 minutes before your flight
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what's the point of an OLCI boarding pass, other than preventing you to move to a better seat should one open up?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by hillrider
So what's the point of an OLCI boarding pass, other than preventing you to move to a better seat should one open up?
Sometimes you have the best seat that you're happy with e.g. for short haul an exit seat in economy or (for me) an aisle seat in club europe. Not everyone checks the seat map for better options after checking in (although I do on domestics, just before going through security I see if I still have my middle seat empty, if I don't I'll move back to an empty row if the flight is looking like it won't be full and I don't need to be off first).
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
De facto move to 2 phase conformance? One at 45 mins for passport check and other at 35 mins for security?

Ba.com - You must pass through check-in no later than 45 minutes before your flight
I see some EU261 IDB claims arising during busy periods, if peeps are referred for visa check.

Pax uses check in machine (thus an audit trail of the time exists), is referred to visa check and has to queue, misses 35 mins conformance.

However regulation says that if pax presents themselves at check in, with a valid ticket, by the time stated by the airline, then compo due. This is no second time gate in the regulation, once you can prove you are checked in before or at the time stated by the airline, they're on the hook.

If this is meant to be a cost saving exercise, it might suffer from the law of unintended consequences.

Or am I missing something?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:01 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Kgmm77

So, what damage can an undocumented person do airside, but before they get on a plane? Something's happened to provoke this.
There was this identity swap 2 years ago: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...g-arrests.html
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
There was this identity swap 2 years ago: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...g-arrests.html
Eh? According to the article that attempted identity swap happened on the aircraft, not airside at an airport.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Eh? According to the article that attempted identity swap happened on the aircraft, not airside at an airport.
He checked in with one passport, then obtained a different passport and boarding pass airside in the airport - second last paragraph in the article.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR

So is it clear what you do if connecting? I'm flying LBA-LHR-SFO soon with hand baggage only, and was planning to use mobile bps, but will I now fall foul of this arrangement?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
He checked in with one passport, then obtained a different passport and boarding pass airside in the airport - second last paragraph in the article.
Handing over a passport and BP is hardly an "identity swap" (and how does this new check prevent this?)

I've had mrs shorthauldad's passport and BP in "my" carry on while passing through security at least a dozen times.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by crowe
So is it clear what you do if connecting? I'm flying LBA-LHR-SFO soon with hand baggage only, and was planning to use mobile bps, but will I now fall foul of this arrangement?
No. You will have your passport checked at the gate at Leeds Bradford, as has always been the case at domestic outstations prior to boarding a flight which is linked to an international sector.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Originally Posted by continentalclub
No. You will have your passport checked at the gate at Leeds Bradford, as has always been the case at domestic outstations prior to boarding a flight which is linked to an international sector.
Thanks - just curious how this works in practice.

So if you are just flying domestically you don't have to show a passport but they check at the gate if you are connecting? How do they know if you just show the first BP?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by continentalclub
But isn't that the bizarre situation - why does a gate check suffice for domestic connection but not at T5?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by crowe
Thanks - just curious how this works in practice.

So if you are just flying domestically you don't have to show a passport but they check at the gate if you are connecting? How do they know if you just show the first BP?
What happens if you transit through LHR on two separate tickets? I've done this several times.

e.g. LBA-LHR (booking #1)
then LHR-JFK (booking #2)

the "passport check" at the LBA gate isn't going to apply to the LHR-JFK booking. You arrive at T5 as domestic arrival and pass through conformance and go airside... or do you get pulled aside for an extra passport check at that conformance point?

...or do you get as far as the gate for the JFK flight before "the system" spots something is wrong?

"Can of worms" doesn't even begin to describe what's going on here...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
What happens if you transit through LHR on two separate tickets? I've done this several times.

e.g. LBA-LHR (booking #1)
then LHR-JFK (booking #2)

the "passport check" at the LBA gate isn't going to apply to the LHR-JFK booking. You arrive at T5 as domestic arrival and pass through conformance and go airside... or do you get pulled aside for an extra passport check at that conformance point?

...or do you get as far as the gate for the JFK flight before "the system" spots something is wrong?

"Can of worms" doesn't even begin to describe what's going on here...
When I've done that they've picked it up at time of lounge entry and checked my passport then. When I've done it on a linked booking they've either checked in the EDI lounge or at the EDI gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.