Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre and painful new passport restrictions in T5 for hand-baggage travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by gav0106
From BA site:

British and Swiss passport holders, plus other EEA nationals, may continue to enter these countries with passports that are valid on arrival.

Does not affect UK, Swiss or EEA. Simply anyone who needs visa, must have 3 months clear. This is an ongoing change to EEA reguulations. It should not affect UK at all, can we honestly think that BA would check every single EEA, Swiss and UK passport?

Right case closed off to meet the wife, ohhh I am T5, maybe should go ask BA and clarify it
That has absolutely nowt to do with what this thread is about! This is about everyone having to either visit a kiosk (that can only tell you've got a passport in the name of the traveller, it can't tell if it's your passport!) or the visa check desk.

The check at the kiosk would not be able to verify visas and so if this was only aimed at those who need an EU visa then it would not say to use the kiosk.

It really is pointless. If I found a passport and a home printed boarding pass on the tube I could still use it to get airside!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Read the OP. BA is making everyone do the check it would appear. Even if they are entitled to enter the country with a passport valid on arrival. Do you see the problem now?
Lowest common denominator. Well Done BA!

Whatever muppet dreamed this up, needs to go. This is EXACTLY the kind of stupidity that will send business travellers off to other carriers that aren't so autocratic.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Just so I understand, if you have done OLCI and either printed your own BP or got one in Passbook, you still have to visit a check in kiosk/desk at T5 if you're travelling to one of the above destinations before you go through security?

If that's the case, why on earth would a non-status not particularly loyal to any one airline customer like me book BA over EasyJet?
I don't understand why this would be enough to make someone switch airlines? An unnecessary hurdle maybe, but hardly a big deal. If this is enough to make you switch to Easyjet then I don't get why you wouldn't be using Easyjet already?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
IMO the thread title says it all. Shock, Horror, Probe, Drama.

At which point the hyperbole filter kicked in, and I discovered I wasn't going to die next week at T5. Or ever, because I have a passport and hold luggage.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Read the OP. BA is making everyone do the check it would appear. Even if they are entitled to enter the country with a passport valid on arrival. Do you see the problem now?
Nope, title of OP is Passport and Visa check....I dont need a visa...I read this as it is for people who have visas. Where did the information come from?

Time will tell and I think clarity would be best, but in the bigger picture does it really matter I am not going to lose sleep about having to print a paper from a machine in all of 30 secs. I do see other peoples point of view and respect that, just for me I think it has been taken out of context and thats all
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:08 pm

Nope, title of OP is Passport and Visa check....I dont need a visa...I read this as it is for people who have visas. Where did the information come from?

Time will tell and I think clarity would be best, but in the bigger picture does it really matter I am not going to lose sleep about having to print a paper from a machine in all of 30 secs. I do see other peoples point of view and respect that, just for me I think it has been taken out of context and thats all
The clue is in the word "passport"
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
bizarre-painful-new-passport-restrictions-t5-hand-baggage-travellers
Bizarre and painful?
May one call "Hyperbole"?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
What about EU citizens who wouldn't necessarily have a passport in the UK? When I get a Spanish passport, I'll just travel with my Spanish DNI (ID card) and leave the passport at home.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
What will happen when Mr DYKWIA, unaware of the changes, rocks up to security at T-40 with his shiny mobile boarding pass as advertised, complete with full and accurate APIS details enetered online, only to get a red beep and told to schlep off for a pointless and unnecessary visa check, and susbsequently misses conformance?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
What will happen when Mr DYKWIA, unaware of the changes, rocks up to security at T-40 with his shiny mobile boarding pass as advertised, complete with full and accurate APIS details enetered online, only to get a red beep and told to schlep off for a pointless and unnecessary visa check, and susbsequently misses conformance?
A big group of FTers will chime in and say he should have had better travel insurance?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I travel to the US and Asia frequently and have NEVER had to have my passport checked before travelling out of T5 with hand baggage only.
Really? I always got sent back when I tried. I've not done it for a while mind you.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Bizarre and painful?
May one call "Hyperbole"?
If it doesn't impact you much, probably not.

For weekly commuters the process is a pain, a huge retrograde and anti-technology step and yet another tick in the negative column for T5.

For the occasional traveller it's not likely to register.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Here is the link to the article on the executive club new page. Doesn't mention that it only applies to non EEC / EU passports.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...&link=main_nav
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:51 pm

I have to be honest I've heard nothing about this.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I am not going to lose sleep about having to print a paper from a machine in all of 30 secs
That was my thought.

Walk in the doors of T5, approach one of many self service machines, shove in passport, take boarding card (despite already having one), carry on walking 30 seconds later.

Slightly annoying? Yes. The cause of the destruction of mankind? No!

The real problem comes when your new boarding card says seat 14D rather than 64A!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.