Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QR & BA partnership commencing Monday 2 September 2013!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR & BA partnership commencing Monday 2 September 2013!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by our_kid
I wonder if my existing Q miles can be imported into BAEC at some point in the future
I don't think any oneworld programme allows direct transfers of miles between partners (some have ways of doing it that are inefficient such as going via a hotel scheme).

Only way I suspect that'd be possible is if QR took a large stake in IAG and QR decided to rename their miles as Avios.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm certainly not expecting my little orphan QR miles to be able to be transferred to BAEC.

Hopefully I can use them for a short haul BA redemption.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I don't think they'll come up with a "double avios on all QR flights who joined oneworld two months ago but we didn't want to make you a Christmas present" promotion
And likewise, I don't think a potential BA double Avios promotion clashing with Christmas will have any bearing on QR's date of entry!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And likewise, I don't think a potential BA double Avios promotion clashing with Christmas will have any bearing on QR's date of entry!
This promotion is not BA exclusive but extended to all oneworld members. QR will give double miles for every journey its members will make on any alliance partner for the two months following the joining.
Since an official announcement hasn't been made yet I think it's useless to argue whether or not they have to join on a particular day. I have a flight with QR on December 26 and I really hope it's still under the promotion period, but up to now October 1st seems to be the most likely date.

Last edited by themapelligroup; Aug 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahhh...I didn't realise the offer applied for all oneworld programmes....thanks.

It might have a bearing then, indeed.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Ahhh...I didn't realise the offer applied for all oneworld programmes....thanks.

It might have a bearing then, indeed.
Last year Malaysia Airlines was ready to join in December but the joining date moved to late January officially for "difficulties of having all the CEOs in that period".

Two months later only CX, MH and QF's CEOs were present. Epic fail IMO.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Being able to spend Avios on QR will give a nice additional option going east. Hopefully their reward availability on the kangaroo route will be decent.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And hopefully QR start SYD next year! As Qatar negotiated an open skies agreement with New Zealand earlier this year, they may perhaps serve AKL via SYD...
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
If the join date does turn out to be 1st Oct, will that be the earliest day I can book a BA codeshare on QR metal, or will I be able to book from the date it's announced, for flights commencing after the 1st Oct?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If the join date does turn out to be 1st Oct, will that be the earliest day I can book a BA codeshare on QR metal, or will I be able to book from the date it's announced, for flights commencing after the 1st Oct?
codeshare is separate from alliance. You can book codeshare any time as long as it is available.

However, whether you can earn tier points or miles that is up to individual cases.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
codeshare is separate from alliance. You can book codeshare any time as long as it is available.

However, whether you can earn tier points or miles that is up to individual cases.
I should clarify. I want to book a RTW fare which restricts me to OW carriers.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But then you don't need to book a "BA codeshare on QR metal". You can book any QR flight whether or not it has a BA code - and the vast majority of QR flights will never have a BA code.

As for whether all QR flights will be available to book as part of oneworld RTW itineraries as and from the day they join the alliance, I would expect this to be the case. What happened when Malaysia Airlines joined earlier this year?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:50 am

But then you don't need to book a "BA codeshare on QR metal". You can book any QR flight whether or not it has a BA code - and the vast majority of QR flights will never have a BA code.

As for whether all QR flights will be available to book as part of oneworld RTW itineraries as and from the day they join the alliance, I would expect this to be the case. What happened when Malaysia Airlines joined earlier this year?
Fare point, "codeshare" was the wrong word. I need to book a QR flight on a 125 ticket.

I don't know how MH worked. They just seemed to suddenly appear in the alliance.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
When QR comes into the alliance, if the TP rules are the same, they will be very interesting, e.g., LHR or MAN - KUL (or BKK, HKG, etc.) will be 560 points. Find a nice connecting CE flight into Europe and fly from there, and instant silver for maybe as little as £2k.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
When QR comes into the alliance, if the TP rules are the same, they will be very interesting, e.g., LHR or MAN - KUL (or BKK, HKG, etc.) will be 560 points. Find a nice connecting CE flight into Europe and fly from there, and instant silver for maybe as little as £2k.
You can easily do that now. Get a flight to ORD for £500 in Y and do the SJU run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.