FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   QR & BA partnership commencing Monday 2 September 2013! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1498483-qr-ba-partnership-commencing-monday-2-september-2013-a.html)

Speedbird279 Aug 26, 13 3:44 pm

Credit Qatar Airways flight to BAEC

I now have a flight to Doha from Manchester on Qatar Airways for early in the new year ( work related trip so flight booking was totally out of my hands ) should Qatar become a full OneWorld member between now and the day of my flight would I be able to credit the flight to my BAEC account.

NeverFirst Aug 26, 13 3:57 pm

Yes. Just hold off putting any FF number in the system until check-in time.

If they join OW before then you will also get any benefits due if you have status (luggage allowance, lounges, etc).

Bear in mind that it's possible that the earning classes may be restricted (you may not earn points on certain booking classes) but I doubt that has been decided yet.

jerry a. laska Aug 26, 13 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird279 (Post 21339694)
I now have a flight to Doha from Manchester on Qatar Airways for early in the new year ( work related trip so flight booking was totally out of my hands ) should Qatar become a full OneWorld member between now and the day of my flight would I be able to credit the flight to my BAEC account.

Maybe. Depends upon the fare class your flight is booked in and what fare classes BAEC decides to give credit for on Qatar. Since Qatar is expected to join this fall a flight next year shouldn't be an issue (if Qatar's joining isn't delayed further) but what classes will earn avios and how much will be the issue. You can look to credit that BAEC gives for other oneworld airlines (other than the joint venture airlines) to see that BAEC doesn't always grant 100% credit.

KenJohn Aug 26, 13 3:58 pm

You have to wait until formal admission of Qatar to OW. No guaranteed date as yet as far as I am aware; just references to aspirational dates.

The _Banking_Scot Aug 26, 13 3:58 pm

Hi,

Yes you would (I think the mileage earned per fare class is still to be determined though ie what economy fares would earn full mileage and which would earn a %)

If Qatar joined OW after your flights you would not get anything.

themapelligroup Aug 26, 13 4:00 pm

The rumored date is October, you should be fine for flights in 2014. Just make sure your booking class is elegible

Speedbird279 Aug 26, 13 4:15 pm

Thanks,

I'm booked in flexible J. It would be a bonus if they did become full members sometime this year as the day I'm due to fly out is the first day of my new membership year.

themapelligroup Aug 26, 13 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird279 (Post 21339903)
Thanks,

I'm booked in flexible J. It would be a bonus if they did become full members sometime this year as the day I'm due to fly out is the first day of my new membership year.

I would be surprised not to see them join this year

1010101 Aug 27, 13 9:02 pm

Planned join date is Oct 1, and to the surprise of many they seem as they're actually on course to make it. I have a booking in December so been keeping an eye on their progress.

Phil the Flyer Aug 28, 13 12:34 am

Originally Posted by phol (Post 21347630)

Planned join date is Oct 1, and to the surprise of many they seem as they're actually on course to make it. I have a booking in December so been keeping an eye on their progress.

Ditto here. I've just booked a one-way CAI-DOH-LHR QR F itinerary for mid-October (at < GBP1k it was too good to resist), and have held off entering a FF # into the system until QR's OW joining date is confirmed.

1010101 Aug 28, 13 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 21348384)
Ditto here. I've just booked a one-way CAI-DOH-LHR QR F itinerary for mid-October (at < GBP1k it was too good to resist), and have held off entering a FF # into the system until QR's OW joining date is confirmed.

I wonder what impact they will have on the other OW members. At circa 2k in J to the Far East they represent one hell of a good deal, given their reputation. I can see AY and RJ suffering in particular.

Lux Aug 29, 13 7:17 am

Qatar say they partner with BA from Monday, if not OW as a whole. Which is nice. Hope it's reciprocal.

Effective 2nd September 2013, Qatar Airways and British Airways will enter into a frequent flyer partnership. As a Privilege Club member, you will now have the opportunity to earn Qmiles on all qualifying British Airways flights.

Qmiles can be earned on all flights with a British Airways flight number and being operated by British Airways.
Redemptions from 01 October.

stickyfingers85 Aug 29, 13 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Lux (Post 21355887)
Qatar say they partner with BA from Monday, if not OW as a whole. Which is nice. Hope it's reciprocal.

Redemptions from 01 October.

Does it work the other way around, earn BA miles flying on Qatar?

themapelligroup Aug 29, 13 7:40 am

I can't find anything on BA, QR and OW's websites yet. I assume they'll release a press announcement quickly.

Wozza2404 Aug 29, 13 8:08 am

I just had an email from QR confirming you can earn BA miles on QR from 1/9/13 and you can redeem QMiles on BA from 1/10/13.

I'm currently holding off booking a RTW ticket as I want QR to join OW before I do. Currently the only option from the GCC region to BOM is to fly MH to KUL and then back to BOM, or CX to HKG and then back to BOM. I could fly RJ via AMM but the layover is about 15 hours; no thanks.