Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by scubadu
I have what might be an odd question, but haven't seen it addressed.

I generally handle travel details, bookings, etc. for my wife and I. However, right now my wife is OneWorld Emerald (AA EXP) and I am not. Obviously, that is quite material when flying on BA (e.g. seat selection, etc.)

To take advantage of the AARP discount, I was about to open an AARP account. However, upon thinking about this a bit, wondering if it's best to open the membership it in my wife's name. That is, when you go through the AARP portal, I assume it puts the AARP member as the primary passenger on the PNR, is that correct?

My concern would be a scenario, that sometimes happens on AA, where the highest elite level member needs to be listed first on the PNR in order to trigger elite recognition.

Regards
If you book the BA tickets and your wife is a named passenger on the PNR she will be able to select seats for all passengers on the PNR using her status when she uses MMB on ba.com/mmb.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you book the BA tickets and your wife is a named passenger on the PNR she will be able to select seats for all passengers on the PNR using her status when she uses MMB on ba.com/mmb.
Perfect, thanks for the info.

Regards
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I don't know how it works with respect to BA but when you join AARP your spouse automatically becomes a member: Membership fee includes spouse/partner free. Your spouse will also receive a membership card. so presumably your wife could also have a login (which you need for the BA discount).
Thanks. However, when possible, I prefer simplicity over complexity, so I'd likely just create the account in my wife's name and just have one login if that was necessary for managing the process. There is absolutely no reason that we'd want two more username/password combos to keep track of just for this.

I think golfmad's advice is just what I needed.

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:45 am

I just noticed on the BA AARP micro site the Book By date is now July 31 2016. I could swear it used to say October 31, 2016. Was I dreaming?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I just noticed on the BA AARP micro site the Book By date is now July 31 2016. I could swear it used to say October 31, 2016. Was I dreaming?
Interesting. I don't think your memory is wrong.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
http://advantages.aarp.org/en/offer....ays.10047.html

The exclusive discounts as indicated on this offer page are available online to AARP members only via the dedicated link on this page when booking a round-trip through fare (round-trip flights with connection to final destination, separate tickets do not qualify for discount) from select US gateways to UK and beyond. Customer must be an AARP member or must travel with an AARP member to be eligible for this exclusive offer. The exclusive discounts are based on round-trip purchase off any published retail World Traveller (economy), World Traveller Plus (Premium economy), Club World (business class) or First fares on ba.com via exclusive link, valid through March 31, 2017 on British Airways and British Airways codeshare services operated by American Airlines and on British Airways codeshare services operated by Iberia only. American Airlines and American Eagle flights with a BA flight numbers that connect to BA operated, AA operated with BA flight numbers and IB operated with BA flight numbers transatlantic flights are permitted. Additional restrictions may apply.
I see March 31 2017
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway
That's the date when travel must be complete by. I'm referring to the date when it must be booked by, I'm almost certain it has been changed, and not for the better. It seems to be spelling the end for this program.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
It does look like that date has been brought forward from the original October 31.

Looking at the T&C on the BA page (http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...mber-benefits#) it also looks like code shares on AA and IB are included in the offer. I could be very wrong, but I think it was previously only BA metal that was eligible.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Hobbes01
It does look like that date has been brought forward from the original October 31.

Looking at the T&C on the BA page (http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...mber-benefits#) it also looks like code shares on AA and IB are included in the offer. I could be very wrong, but I think it was previously only BA metal that was eligible.
Nope, codeshares have been allowed for quite some time. I usually have to be careful which ones I pick when combined with the Chase10 discount as the Chase10 promotion code excludes codeshares.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
It seems to be spelling the end for this program.
That would be a bummer for sure, but honestly I'm surprised this offer has lasted as long as it has, particularly once it began being utilized and publicized far beyond the likely audience BA intended when they entered an agreement with AARP...

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by golfmad
Nope, codeshares have been allowed for quite some time. I usually have to be careful which ones I pick when combined with the Chase10 discount as the Chase10 promotion code excludes codeshares.
Ah of course, I was thinking of the Chase discount. It would be a shame if the AARP discount follows the flowers, the amuse bouche, and the water bottles.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:26 pm

Has anyone attempted to get additional information regarding this possibly going away in July? I'm not yet an AARP member (had been waiting to pull the trigger until I was ready to purchase a ticket), but has anyone reached out to AARP or BA to see if the gig is up?

Regards
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Not really the correct thread but there isn't an ex-US sale thread. BA seem to have quite a good CW sale for 2 out of the US at present - book by July 12 and fly July 12 to May 31. A (possibly last) chance to take advantage of the AARP discount as well.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Has anyone attempted to get additional information regarding this possibly going away in July? I'm not yet an AARP member (had been waiting to pull the trigger until I was ready to purchase a ticket), but has anyone reached out to AARP or BA to see if the gig is up?

Regards
So far the gig appears to have fallen victim to the July enhancements as it is still showing ticketing must be complete by July 31. My main issue with that is they publicized end of October and seemingly have brought that forward a few months.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I just bought two tickets exUS-EDI to take advantage of the BA sale in J for 2. It has to be booked by July 12 and flown by May 31. I was trying to get tickets for April or May using AARP and it wasn't working. I finally read the T/C's and yes, the AARP discount has an end date where the outbound must be flown by Mar 31.
So, we're leaving Mar 31 .
My understanding is the offer has been extended a few times. I'm hoping it gets extended again but I couldn't wait given the BA sale must be booked by July 12.
I say if you're looking at using the AARP discount, do while you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.